Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi- my name is Louise. I have a daughter with MCAD (Read 9412 times)
cnm1
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Hi- my name is Louise. I have a daughter with MCAD
04/07/11 at 15:25:56

My daughter, Rachel, 23 has just been dx with MCAD by Dr Castells. Rachel has been ill about 10 years. For 5 years she was homebound (8-12grade). She initially dx with CFS then POTS (dysautonomia). She sees Blair Grubb for the POTS. (I am in NE Ohio)
  I started researching mast cell stuff after Rachel developed increasing issues with food allergies. She had no problems has a child. Shortly before Rachel got sick she started having alot of stomach issues. Also 6 months before she got sick - she started flushing.  After 5 years she was dx with multiple food allergies: whey, soy, wheat, peanuts and eggs. An allergen free diet helped alot as well as her bucket of drugs Roll Eyes for POTS (midodrine, mestinon, florinef, welbutrin, zantac, claritin, flonase)
  It was obvious after any flushing episode - her POTS would flare. I took a while for Rachel to get to see Dr Castells but it was worth the wait!! Rachel started on gastrocrom and advair 2 weeks ago. SHe is increasing the dose rapidly because she has no side effects and feels so much better. Cheesy. IN spite of all her health issues, Rachel is living in Boston and attending grad school. She just called and said for the 1st time in over 10 years, she could exercise and feel good afterwords!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Re: Hi- my name is Louise. I have a daughter with MCAD
Reply #1 - 04/07/11 at 16:12:29

I want to say "welcome" and I am so glad your daughter Racheal is starting to feel so much better and is able to start experiencing life again!  That is so exciting.  I am glad that you found this site.  It is very helpful for education, personal testimonials and support.  Please keep us up to date on how things are going for Racheal!

Kim

IP Logged

cjoy
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Nebraska, USA
Reply #2 - 04/07/11 at 18:29:56

So glad you found this forum.  I am relatively new here myself but want to welcome you.  I have learned so much from others on this forum.  I am so glad that you found Dr. Castells and that your daughter is improving dramatically.   Smiley

Now is the moment of opportunity ~ Choose Joy!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/11 at 21:44:10

Hi Louise Wink

Welcome to our forum Wink I have a diagnosis of idiopathic angiodeama ( swelling , no idea why Wink

Your daughter is doing incredibly well being at grad school with only just being diagnosed . As you look around the forum you will find lots of really interesting information . Dr castells is a leading doctor in mcad so i am very glad you have found her . Unf your experience of 10 years to diagnosis is not uncommon here ;-( but you are over that hurdle , it must be amazing Wink

I am glad Rachel is doing so much better Wink Triggers remain an issue even after diagnosis and for many continue to be the best way to manage this illness . I am glad Rachel can exercise , but would urge caution to do so in a very protected manner as she may feel it later or the next day Wink Her high risk times will remain the same , just less

My naughty list reads much like rachels , she is definately not alone in that . I have gone from well to poorly to at the moment doing better , but not there yet Wink I am pre gastrocrom Wink

Pots can run alongside mcad . i will leave it for others who ahve it , to say more Wink

The chronic fatigue symdrome may stay but is more likely to dramatically change . A look at the symptoms list on the mastcystois society web page will give you a clue . Many , i would say all , of the symptoms are due to mcad , so as she does well  and has varaiations , so will her fatigue .I have found if I rest at the point I know I need to I can sleep and recouperate . This feels hard to do in any schedule , but , it pays off Wink

Sudden fatigue for me is a sign of trouble , in which I seek out and get away from a trigger and medicate .

hope to hear more from you soon , and Rachel if she would like Wink

Josie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print