Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
hello all (Read 6968 times)
vinnie
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

hello all
03/21/11 at 10:52:34

[email][url][/url][/email]Hi everyone. My names Vinnie & I come & live in the uk. My story started 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After surgery I was given chemo, which was very vigorous! They'd give me the stuff on a Tuesday & by Saturday I'd be full of infection & more often than not, neutropenic. So off to hospital I'd go! Anyway, I was left very fatigued, nauseous,with achy bones,joints & muscles, an over active stomach( very acidy ),& prone to bouts of diarrhea. All the while, I & my doctor have put these things down to the chemo.
About 18 months ago, my asthma started to get worse, at the same time the other symptoms got worse, especially the d&v, that's uncontrollable & when it starts, I end up in hospital. Also round about the same time, I started to get severe itching skin, which would come up bright red at the merest touch & also would be raised. I forgot to mention that I suffer from severe hot flushes.
I've been seen by a dermatologist, who when I mentioned mast cell disease, just dismissed it out of hand. I'm seeing him again soon & am Hopi.g he might look into it.
Of coarse, he may be right & its not,  it I suspect it is because it makes sense of all the symptoms I have. The last lft I had showed elevated ALP levels.
I'm hoping that I might get some ideas from this forum.
Hope I haven't bored you all!!! Grin

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Re: hello all
Reply #1 - 03/21/11 at 11:35:53

Hi Vinnie ,

Welcome to the forum Wink . I am Josie and I am also in the UK.  I ahve angiodeama ( swelling ) and other histamine symptoms . I am being investigated to get the right diagnosis . I am sorry you have had such a horrid time .

A mast cell disease certinly sound possible. Do you have any food problems or drug reactions .

Mast cell problems can be mimiked by other conditions , which it would be wise to be tested for whilst you find a good doctor in the Uk . These are carciniod syndrome - from hormones relased by lung and or bowel slow growing masses , The tests are :- a 24 urine collection for 511HA and a chemical chromatogranin A . between them these 2 tests are conclusive . The second is a pheaocryocythoma , a mass on the adrenal glands , this is tested for with a 24 hour collection of urine , for cateclamines - adrenaline and nor adrenaline . Your GP can do these .

I am sorry your dermo isnt capable of recognising a problem that presents in dermotology. Unf this is not uncommon in mine and others experiences here .

Where in the UK are you ??   As you need refering to a knowledgable dermotologist .

To help you and your GP there are 3 vids on you tube on mast cell activation symptomology - they are by the Americian specalists who know masto 100 %.

mastocytosis is diagnosed by skin and or bone marrow biopsy . A chemical from mast cells which comes out when they burst is called mast cell tryptase . A raised level in this is seen as a guide of mastocytosis . In the UK the level is over 12 . All bloods for tryptase go to the same lab Nr birimingham to ensure a good level of consistancy .

This is a blood test . One can be taken randomly and should be done asap  . Tryptase in masto is felt to be high all the time . This is not always the case . Sometimes it is only raised when a lot of mast cells burst and give out tryptase , histamine  , prostoglandins and heparin amoungst other chemicals .  So it is important you ahve one taken in the first 2 hrs of a major increase in symptoms .

In the UK at the current time , with a normal tryptase and no anaphylaxis the doctors do not like doing bone marrow biopsy .

Some people have mast cell activation - symptoms ,  but the raise in tryptase can not be caught . Their condition will be further investigated for other causes of histamine release and if no others can be found , they will be diagnosed with idiopathic urticaria (rash ), angiodeama ( swelling )  or anaphylaxis .

A new diagnosis is coming through as the masto doctors have noticed a group of patients who do not fit the mastocytosis criteria but have all the symptoms . This is called mast cell activation syndrome .

The UK docs will not diagnose this currently .

BUT

In either case the doctors will assess you and treat you . there are a body of treatments available .

Antihisatmines - type 1 - drowsy - piriton , ketiofen , cyclizine ( anti sickness ) , hydroxizine

Non drowsy - ceterizine ( benadryl , zyrtec ) ,  fexofenidine ,

antihistamines type 2 - ranitidine ,

leucotrine receptor agonists - singulair

mast cell stabilser - nalcrom

The treatments aim to block the actions of histamines and stop them being released .
What medications are you on now?
Many of these your GP will try . Many are also available over the counter . You can begin with antihistamines to see if they help Wink Caution should be used if you ahve a history of SVT or any other underlying heart different rythym . With your history I would discuss any Over The Counter  meds with your GP first

Keeping a diary is also really important . As getting to know your triggers is vital . There are sections here on triggers Smiley

Reducing your ingested histamines and foods which trigger histamine release can help reduce symptom severity , esp at this time whilst you get to the right doctors . I use a low histamine diet from the international idiopathic urticaria society .

I will stop there Smiley I hope this helps Wink

Josie

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 03/21/11 at 13:48:01

Hi Vinnie!  Welcome!!!

As to your situation Vinnie, I think that it's really very complicated due to your having gone through a cancer and chemo and all that those two things do to the body.  I think that you've got to keep your mind wide open with whatever is going on with you because it's really a very complex situation you are facing with your health right now.  Chemo, as you know is really hard on the body and although your doctors may feel that everything traces back to that, it's hard to just take some symptoms like itchiness and being bright red and hot flushing.  There are so many things which can cause this and which your chemo could have triggered and one excuse could possibly hormonal involved.  It's really very complex and I think your dermatologist may be trying to be conservative.  Granted, it's possible your dermatologist may make the mistake that many doctors do in presuming that you've got to have spots and skin lesions to have masto, and in this case this doctor would be wrong.   However, masto is rare and you've got to do a LOT OF RULING OUT of a bunch of other diseases and disorders before masto can be considered.  Josie's right, carcinoid is one, then there are certain medications and hormal issues and many, many other things which can mimic it.  So, there's a lot of work which has yet to be done on you to figure this out.

As to the elevated ALP, I found an article which you might find interesting that sheds a bit of light as to what it is and what diseases it might be involved in.  

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2296/2/2

Alkaline phosphatase (ALP; EC 3.1.3.1) comprises a group of enzymes that catalyze the hydrolysis of phosphate esters in an alkaline environment, generating an organic radical and inorganic phosphate.[1] Like other enzymes, this enzyme has many isoenzymes. In healthy adults, this enzyme is mainly derived from the liver, bones and in lesser amounts from intestines, placenta, kidneys and leukocytes.[2]

An increase in serum ALP levels is frequently associated with a variety of diseases. Such disorders as extrahepatic bile obstruction, intrahepatic cholestasis, infiltrative liver disease and hepatitis are mentioned. Unfortunately, the elevation of ALP less than three times the normal level is considered non specific and insufficient to provide a definite diagnosis. [3]

Markedly elevated serum ALP, hyperalkalinephosphatasemia, is seen predominantly with more specific disorders, including, malignant biliary obstruction, primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, hepatic lymphoma and sarcoidosis.[4] On the other hand, according to a recent study [5], sepsis and malignant obstruction are identified as common causes of hyperalkalinephosphatasemia, whereas diffuse liver metastasis, as well as a number of benign disorders, are relatively less common causes of hyperalkalinephosphatasemia.

I think Vinnie, just in reading this, it may help to give some direction if your ALP is really very high.  

Now, if you google mastocytosis and elevated ALP you will find that there are some cases of this.  However, from what i can see, these are most definitely AGGRESSIVE masto cases and to be very honest with you Vinnie, I fully doubt that this is your problem.  Someone who has aggressive masto has it come raging out of the corner it's hidden in and it's found right away!   When it's like this it's in it's cancer stage and it's very aggressive.  If you were this, then your CBCs would be SCREAMING AT YOUR DOCTORS that something was dreadfully wrong with you and obviously this is not what they are doing.

So, based upon this, I really don't think that you've got either aggressive masto, and probably not masto itself either.  I have a feeling something else is behind that itching and it is recognized that there are other diseases which will cause itchy skin and of course if it's going to get itchy, it's going to get red as well, for something is triggering that histamine release.  But that doesn't meant that it's mastocytosis behind it.   Like I said, there are several diseases which cause the itchiness and redness besides masto.

But do this, Vinnie, tell us what tests you've had run and what seems to be off with them and if you have any other symptoms and perhaps someone else here will have some ideas.

I hope this is a help to you!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/21/11 at 17:48:48

Hello Vinnie,
My grandmother had lymphoma and battled it for 10 years. There were not many months where we were not undergoing chemo, radiation, surgery or the battling severe effects from one of those. Check into the side effects of your particular chemotherapy treatments.  A lot of the chemo before it is started you are given antihistimines and steroids to prevent severe reactions, usually intense flushing and itching, numbness, burning were still lucky benefits along with diarrhea etc even with the pre medication before the chemo was administered. So definately check into the side effects of your chemo. Also any medications you are currently on. Are you on Tamoxifen? I believe it causes itching and flushing also? Keep educating yourself and investigating all avenues!

IP Logged

vinnie
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 03/21/11 at 21:51:48

Cheers Sandier & Lisa
I see what you mean about the probability of it being "masto", & believe me, I have got an open mind.
The chemo I had was very hard on my body & indeed the side effects horrid! Long term tho', my oncologist believes that they will have dissipated by now. As for hormone treatment, I have Fasladex injections, & the side effects are minimal. Its just that these symptoms shuddenly got worse.
As for tests, so far I've only had allergy tests, they showed me to be allergic to tree pollen only. & blood tests that showed elevated alp levels, & a few other anomollies. What they are I'm not sure as docs over here sometimes aren't very forthcoming! Xx Smiley

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 03/25/11 at 05:21:43

Hi Vinnie,
I just wanted to know how youre feeling now?? You said you had a few other anomalies... can you tell us what they were?? I have a few questions to ask that might point you to an answer.

Have you seen your doctor again this week and what does he say?
Have you tried any antihistamines to see how they affect the way you feel?
Do you have any family history of problems with the liver?
Did you ever have a Tryptase level drawn? Ask for one. Ask for urine for histamines too.
Have you had a recent MRI or CAT scan and do they plan on doing one?

Liver problems alone can cause itchy skin, but usually not the flushing.  Are you still having  episodes of flushing?

I hope you are feeling better and have a restful calm weekend Smiley
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

vinnie
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/16/11 at 11:01:26

Hello again! Soz I've been of radar for so long, I promise it wasn't anything anyone said!!! Seriously I've been quite poorly & then I've had a bit of bad news & well just stuff going on.
I'm still very suspicious of some form of systemic mast cell involvement,  & I think finally I'm being taken seriously! I've been referred to a 'proper' dermatologist, who apparently knows something about smcd, well knows what tests to sttart doing! Don't know when I'll see him/her, but soon I hope, cos' the skin stuff is driving me daft. & the other stuff is making me feel less than rubbish.
Thanks for the support, I'll answer any questions soon.
Ttfn.  Grin

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/16/11 at 11:20:05

Hi Vinnie ,

I was thinking about you earlier Wink Nice to have you back.  I am pleased you are going to a proper dermatologist Wink

many hugs

Jose

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 04/16/11 at 19:46:02

Vinnie,

Sorry you've been having a rough time!  I looked up the drug you're taking by injection, and I saw these side effects listed.  Maybe they'll solve a little of the mystery....

What are the possible side effects of fulvestrant (Faslodex)?

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Less serious side effects may include:

* headache, back pain;
   * nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
   * constipation, diarrhea;
   * sore throat, cough;
   * weakness;
   * warmth, redness, or tingly feeling under your skin;
   * loss of appetite;
   * swelling in your hands or feet;
   * unusual vaginal bleeding;
   * hot flashes; or
   * mild pain or swelling where the medicine was injected.

Perhaps they could change your dose and then see if you feel better.  Good luck!

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #9 - 04/17/11 at 03:18:09

Gosh, Joan, those symptoms line up with Masto symptoms!!! Shocked

No wonder the doctors ask us what meds we take in the process of working us up!!

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/17/11 at 04:35:08

Hi Vinnie , Lisa and Joan Wink

I completely see the parallel . In assessing symptoms and medications , especially if there are multiple the crucial question is what came first . The symptom or the medication Wink As logically if the symptoms was present before the medication it is not a side effect . Existing symptoms can be made worse as well as better .

My best example from my experience is the side effects of Duloxitine . I had had double periods from may 08 and  I had a bottom bleed in Nov 2009 and commenced duloxitine in late December .
I had further bleeds whilst on duloxitine . Which were heavier .
When I stopped it I did not bleed from my bottom for 6 months .

So in my case I had a preexisting problem that was made slightly worse by the known side effects of a med . Which returned a period of time later .

I have kept records of when symptoms have shown for the first time , but with multiple doctors involved in our care , these facts can be lost and I have had several conversations of this type with doctors where I have to explain Wink we can also  forget which came first , bringing the possibility of a wrong focus of symptoms .

With new meds I read the contraindications - situations in which a med should not be taken and ingredients .

I don't read the side effects . I wait and see . If I experience anything new I check if its on the list Wink This stops me worrying about potentials . I have a trusted pharmacist who I know will be aware Wink But ultimately its my responsibility Wink  

many hugs

Jose

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #11 - 04/17/11 at 17:34:13

You are right that contraindications and ingredients are very important.  However, I have never seen a contraindication that warned people with mast cell disorders.  In mast cell disorder patients it can be deadly not to read the potential side effects.  I don't tend to obsess on them, but I do want to know what to watch for.

I realize a lot of drugs have huge lists based on their small studies, and that the drug companies have to list side effects even if one person had a hangnail while taking it.  (Well, maybe not that extreme).  Still, if I'm starting something new, and I've had three serious anaphylactic reactions from medicines, I read everything I can.  Most of the time I can get a feel for whether I can tolerate it or I can take a tiny dose first to see what happens if the potential side effects look hazardous for me.

Joan

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #12 - 04/17/11 at 17:35:53

Lisa,

I looked that up because my Mom took tamoxifen following breast cancer, and she had similar symptoms.  In fact, it was so bad that she only took it for one year.

Joan

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/17/11 at 23:55:49

Hi All ,

I think I need to clarify . I am not having a go at anyone and I am very careful with medications . I find this works for me . It is mainly due to the example below  . I do start with small doses and work up as you have said Joan . I recommend this to others .

I just wanted to make the point Wink That we need to remember what has come first , as our doctors may blame masto symptoms on the drugs , when in fact these symptoms have already been present .

I want to share my experience ;-

In the first  reactions , I hadn't had any steriods previously / was off them when I reacted .

From June 08 , after 9 epi pen level reactions , I was given a rescue package , which had steriods in . I was shocking every 3 weeks from dec 08 . So from June I was put on 40mg when I shocked , titrating down after a week at 5mg a week . So I was not getting any lower than 25mg .( 3 weeks )  As a result of steriods for 8 months I put on 42lb in fluid and was extremely swollen , blue on minimal exertion and very unwell . Inc stridor in my reactions .

I had a new MD .  they blamed my whole illness on steriods . This doctor had not met me before and I continued to say I had these symptoms before , which i did ,

I knew they were wrong .

So , I spent a month in hospital , to reduce the steriods observed , being patronized by a consultant , who I got so fed up of .

On a ward round , when he said i was going blue for no reason , I explained  that  he had not worked me up for carciniod , hashimotos thyrioditis or IGE anaphylaxis or HAE , in front of  all his staff , that  it could be any of these .

Throughout the whole month I did what i needed to do to prove my point . I was good . Even when he said he was not looking for a diagnosis on this admission .

Since the steriods have completely gone for therapeutic purposes , over 5mg prednisalone a day . I am still ill ,  have daily symptoms and shock .

I knew I was ill and it was not just steriod side effects .

I have had an apology Wink

I have much respect for steriods , that they work for us , but have side effects we need to respect . I have days where I wish they had been right .

So , this is why i said it is important to see the symptoms that have pre existed .

I can see the connection with the tamoxifen side effects and I am glad Joan and Lisa have spotted it Wink  

I am bag of examples :- another is i was put on hydrocortisone tablets . This is like prednislone but more bio available . To which I had vomiting and diarrhea .( profuse and continuous )  Which are known side effects . I knew it was more than that .

I was swapped to liquid hydrocortisone without maize starch - which I knew bothered me but the hospital doctor did not believe me . The vomiting and diarrhea returned to my normal levels , which are controlled in the most part .

So :- My established symptoms were made worse by a trigger to an unbearable level , in which my meds were not staying down .

When the preparation was changed , I returned to my normal symptoms . So , It was not the drug but the maize . I remain on hydrocortisone at the same level as is naturally produced as my adrenals are not working . I still don't have any side effects from the hydrocortisone Wink

I hope this has clarified my view point Wink

Josie

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 04/18/11 at 07:19:18

Hi Josie,

I need to clarify, too.  I did understand what you meant, and I know you were sharing your personal experience.  I was trying to do the same, as I tend to encounter all the rare side effects of everything I take. Cry   For me, any new meds are difficult and scary!!!  Sometimes, even I don't know whether it's the medicine or the masto or something entirely different causing my symptoms!!  

I have no doubt you're very careful with your meds, and I'm so sorry you've had such a difficult time, too!!   It must be doubly frustrating when you're a nurse and have doctors tell you something wrong!!

Have a great day! Smiley

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print