Back from the NIH (Read 4120 times)
dragonbunny
Rookie

Try not. Do. Or do not.
There is no try
Texas
Back from the NIH
03/08/11 at 14:13:30

My 2nd visit to the NIH went well - I ended up staying a total of 4 nights there over a weeks period of time. My bone marrow came back before I left and I do have Indolent Systemic Mastocytosis at about 15-20%. The exact numbers will come with the full report I should get when the CKit mutation stuff comes back from Harvard.

Overall everything went as well as it could. The BMB was easy because they knocked me out with versed and fentnyl. I had no reaction to either except they knock me out pretty much - not just the conscious sedation they were going for LOL. They got a good sample. Dr. Wilson said some indicator in the aspirate led him to believe I will have the CKit mutation but I can't remember the name.

Based on the medical history of the last year they had a GI doc come up and talk with me. Because I have breakthrough heartburn/stomach reflux even though I am on Zantac and Prilosec I qualified for another study for tests. So my initial visit was on Wed - Frid - instead of being released and having to check back in the following week I was let go on a "pass" with a promise to come back if anything happened. So I enjoyed a day and a half before I had a reaction - Not sure if it was the Bruschetta, the heat in the Smithsonian, the extreme cold or a combo but I ended up sick as a dog. I didn't use my epi pen when I should have because of the reaction of my mom and nephew.  Thats another story. On top of the impending doom feeling while in the bathroom I got my hives like I had over the summer - went back in early Monday morning. It was actually Presidents Day so Dr Wilson saw them in person when they were 2 days old - I had shown him pictures from the previous episodes. He believes I have some type of vasculitis but isn't sure what or why - he asked me to get them biopsied the next time it happens. Right, ok.

I was pretty much out of it all that day because of the reaction but on Tuesday they did an endoscopy, again with versed and fentynl. ( have no idea how to spell that) You should have seen the anesthesiologist what he was given me and he said a narcotic and a relaxer and I named the drugs. I told him I had to know - since we knew I could tolerate them it was important to make sure they were the same thing. Again I went out like a light - I remember one part of it but thats it. My esophagus looks fine, so does my stomach but I don't have much stomach acid. Based on the test I did the following day they want me to do a Bravo test (again, right, no insurance) to see why it takes my stomach so long to produce acid but then it acts up.

They switched my meds up a bit and put me on Allegra in the AM and kept the Zyrtec in the PM trying to help with my exhaustion. Unfortunately the last two weeks I have been even more tired and had no appetite. I switched back to Zyrtec this morning because of it and ended up coming home two hours early with a reaction to my lunch.

The hardest part for me was actually being told I had ISM. I guess I always hoped I was just crazy or something. In fact the resident who told me was very kind, but he though I had already been told. When Linda came in (whom I love btw) and said everything looked great, and I replied "but its in my marrow" she said "but we all knew it would be Susan" I was kind of like "but I didn't want it to be". I'm still struggling with that aspect. I guess basically I am depressed about it.

My iron is also low - I haven't started taking the iron pills they gave me. I know this is long - I have been meaning to write for a long time and I am surprised I got this far. I am going to go lay down and take two more Benadryl. I have to work tomorrow.  Bluck. I'm sure I left things out - but thanks for reading if you made it this far!

"....Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever."

Walt Disney
Pubomb  
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Back from the NIH
Reply #1 - 03/08/11 at 17:49:00

Hi Susan,

I understand completely that feeling when you find out it really is true.  I knew I had it, but when the BMB came back positive, it just really hit hard, and yes, it was depressing.  Still, when you find the right meds and start feeling better, it does get somewhat less traumatic.  Most of the time I only think about what I'm doing to feel better and to be more stable.  Lately, I only let myself worry right before a check-up, and that's coming up in April.

I have recently read that vasculitis can be from certain vitamin and mineral deficiencies or from malabsorption, which causes the deficiencies.  I'll try to find the reference and post it.  The key to feeling better will be getting your digestive system working better.  If the H1 blockers aren't keeping you from reacting, maybe they'll prescribe more or different H2 blockers or gastrocrom, if you're not already taking it.

Anyway, it sounds like you're being thoroughly looked over and in the hands of experts.  So glad of that for you!

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 03/09/11 at 01:57:11

Hi Susan,

I'm really glad you shared your experience with us! Thank you!   Yes, I understand your grief, for that is what you are feeling, grief.  You are grieving for what you had hoped you had, perfect healthy - that healthy body you used to have.  And yes, it's a shock to hear the words formally declared now.  Our minds want to scream out and say, Well then FIX IT!  And this is one time when there's just no fixing the problem.   Yet, you knew it all along, Sue, and although it would be nice if they could say that it was all in our heads, but would it really be then?  I mean, isn't it just horrible having someone accusing you of being off kilter and that all that you are going through is just "dramatics"?   I mean, how good is that?  Emotinally and mentally I'd rather have people believe in me when I say I'm sick than have these looks of Yep, there she goes again!, wouldn't you?

Don't grieve, Sue, don't be sad, this is NOT the end!  It's not that you've been given a death sentence and it's not a cancer that your life will be shortened.  Having that diagnosis, that confirmation as to what it is really is a liberating thing for whether or not you've got the diagnosis you are sick anyway - the diagnosis doesn't change that.  But what it does change is the way that people look at you and treat you and also as to how you allow them to treat you as well!   Instead of always having these doubts surrounding you, you can say, Sorry, I do have this chronic disease!  However, what you can now do is stir up people's admiration for you in how much you are a conquerer and overcomer in how you deal with your chronic illness.  You can allow it to take over your life, or you can relegate it to the corner of your life that choose to give it to.  It doesn't have to take over, but you can learn how to live a good and healthy life and gain control over it, especially now since your doctors know exactly what they are working with, they will continue adjusting your medications and getting things right until you feel as though this disease is only one more facet of your life and not the whole thing.  I can't tell you how much better I feel after having my meds more adjusted!  I feel as though I have a life again and I've been able to return to my school and my work and teach and run the school with a new attitude and outlook and even though I still go home tired and needing the bed, I'm able to function and live my life once again!  Last year at this time I was totally unable to do this!  I was doing nothing more than filling a chair!!!

So, although they are small victories, Sue, they are still victories nonetheless!  You need to see this for the victory that it truely is.  You're sick, you knew that.  But it's best to finally have it oficialized so that people can understand not just your circumstances, but also your behavior.  It actually clears the air and the way for IMPROVEMENT!!   You'll see, once you get over this shock, you will find that many things will change for the better, trust me!!!

One of the first benefits, Susan is that YOU HAVE NOW PASSED THROUGH THE WORST PHASE!   Congratulations!  You are now past the most difficult phase of our walks as masto patients, that of getting a diagnosis!  Things will greatly improve from now on!!!

So, Susan, what you and your family need to do is to throw a Diagnosis Party!!!  Not celebrating that you are sick, but celebrating that finally they have put a name on it and that phase of your life is finally past you!  This is a GOOD thing!

I'm only partially diagnosed and I can tell you that I am planning on having a nice big Bar-b-que celebrating it when we finally get my full diagnosis in!!  I've got another BMB to do and some other exams as well!  So, I plan on celebrating the END of the SEARCH when we finally get those tests done and in!

So, don't get depressed, Susan, but celebrate!  CELEBRATE LIFE!!!!! Smiley Smiley

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/09/11 at 02:35:40

Hi Sue ,

I am glad you have a diagnosis Smiley . As for how you are feeling it normal . Lisas right you are grieving .

I ahve been where you are and somedays still am Smiley You shouldn't let the illness be you . Your are not ISM called sue . You are Sue and you have ISM . But to move forward you need to say goodbye to the old version of you and welcome in the new version . I know it sounds mad . But for you to forge a future which you will , you need to accept this Smiley .

if you get a moment , read my post on grieving and moving froward .

Now you have a label it will take time to get used to it . I got to the point that i accepted being in bed or chair as my new normal . Now I am better medicated I am able to see that is my angiodeama (my diagnosis so far ) not normal . Some parts of my life have changed forever , but I am still me Smiley talk too much , very caring , to a fault . You will work out what you have to do to keep your masties quiet . Also when you are needing an epi pen .

I still want this to go away , but I am me again Smiley Its ok to feel it all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with joan , that a med review will help . You will find that combination that works for you . As winston churchil says this is not the end or the beginning of the end , BUT it is the end of the biggining xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I completely understand as do we all xxxxxxxxxxxx I also understand you would prefer to be mad than ill BUT soon you will be lucid and controlled xxxxxxxxxxx I think we give up hope of that possibility - your there

many hugs
Josie

IP Logged

dragonbunny
Rookie

Try not. Do. Or do not.
There is no try
Texas
Reply #4 - 03/09/11 at 14:45:31

Thanks all.  I just read your post on grieving Josie. I guess I am in the Last 2 stages.  Trying to reclaim my life, but the new version.  It's funny but seeing the team at the NIH was like going home. I know they get it. Even if the joke is I  different than even most of their masto patients because my spots are different etc.  Even when I got a brief " lecture" on not using me epi pen when I should. Dr Wilson, Linda, Daly and all the nurses are awesome. It's coming home that sucks to be blunt.

I know we have to advocate for ourselves, that is how I got this far. But I am tired, no weary, of it. I will keep on because I have no choice but it sucks.  I want someone near me to say " this is what you need" or "I understand" even if they don't.  I am blessed with friends who care and give me support but I feel very alone in this in my real life. My mom was with me  Cheesyand was able to ask Dr Wilson all the questions she wanted to so she would understand. But if you arent living it, you just can't    Don't misread this. I, too, am a type a personality who hate needing people to do for me when I have always done for others. I'm not good at taking help. But I'm trying and trying to understand my new life and how to be "normal" or the new normal. I am definitely not medicated  correctly right now and I am frustrated beyond belief  with it.   Cheesy Cheesy

Walt Disney
Pubomb  
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 03/09/11 at 16:11:39

Hi Susan,

It doesn't sound as though they gave you a trial medicine plan at NIH.  If not, you might be able to call a doc or nurse there and ask for a regimen to begin with.  If they know what you've been taking, and that you still don't feel stable, they should want to help.

How you are feeling right now is so normal.  You've pushed and pushed until you got answers, and now you're having the letdown.  Of course you're exhausted!  Ultimately, knowing will be much easier to live with than not knowing, and hopefully, this won't last too long.

I completely get the feeling "weary."  I was just thinking that today about myself.  Have you considered seeing a counselor for a few times?  They help chronically ill people all the time, and they know how to help you move toward a new routine.  Even though this forum is wonderful, it might be nice to have somebody other than your family (and us) to talk to.  Somebody who you won't feel like you're burdening or who won't understand.

Some things to help recover quicker...  Sleep a lot.  Travel is especially tiring, and then having all the medical stuff on top of it....  If you can, take a nap every possible day.  Make sure you get at least 8 hours/night.  

Don't know if you can afford to have help in your house or to pay somebody to cook a few meals a week for you, but if you can, it can make a huge difference, even if it's just for a month.  

If cost is an issue, your Mom might want to help and not know how.  Maybe she could cook for you occasionally or pay for you to have a house cleaner for a month or two or stop by and help with laundry once a week.  Sometimes just having a break from what you've been doing every day can help with both the physical and mental hardships of this process.

Allow yourself to put yourself first until you feel better.  Everything else comes second to self-care.  It doesn't have to be expensive to pamper yourself, if money is an issue.  Just sitting in a comfy chair for an hour and reading or watching TV can make your day much easier.  So many of us are/were type A's.  (I think of myself as a recovering Type A.)  It can even be liberating to let some of that go.  Does it really matter if the bed is made or if the whole day's dishes sit in the sink until after dinner?

So hope you can take it easy, let the feelings just move through you, and accept that this is a mid-point and not the place you will stay.

Joan

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 03/09/11 at 16:19:00

Beautifully put Joan!!! Hey! I just was able to justify not making the bed! Smiley There is scientific proof that bedbugs have a harder time surviving in beds that are not made !!!! A made bed can hold in the darkness/moisture from the sleeper. A non made bed is exposed to light, dry air, etc and its much harder for the lil buggers to survive. Of course this is totally paraphrased in Sandi language! Smiley Cheesy

IP Logged

dragonbunny
Rookie

Try not. Do. Or do not.
There is no try
Texas
Reply #7 - 03/09/11 at 16:28:29

Joan-
They didn't give me a trial plan.  They modified my existent medicines. Dr Wilson does not believe I will benefit from anything trial at this point. I am under a "natural history" protocol.  

I am taking :
AM.  150 Zantac        
10 mg zyrtec
Prozac 10mg
Singulair

Pm.
150 Zantac
Prilosec
Zyrtec
1000mg fish oil
Calcium with bit d 600 mg I think
Centrum

The biggest tweak was splitting my Zantac. I had taken 300mg in the am for the last 8 months or so.  They also had me try Allegra in the am instead zyrtec but I have been reacting a lot more,sleeping more, lost my appetite and foggy headed so I switched back. Still haven't figured out where to put my iron pill. I'll email and call them tomorrow and see if i can get a response before the weekend.  Thanks for being there tonight

I do see a counselor btw for all kind of life issues right now.  Undecided

Walt Disney
Pubomb  
IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/11 at 00:43:12

Hiya ,

meds wise the things that jump out at me is that you aren't on a mast cell stabiliser . ketiofen is used by many for this before gastrocrom ( sodium cromgualte )

Also , zantac can resasonably be 300mg twice a day . most of us are on this dose . esp if we have gastro problems Smiley

You didn't say your singulair dose Smiley 10mg twice a day is a good starting point Smiley

When you are having a reaction , you need a plan fo r medication and a plan for your local ED . I imagine you have seen the blank look when you have mentioned masto Smiley

Allegra was too corn flour rich for me . In terms of reacting it may well have been the journey etc . Allegra comes in liquid with you , so maybe trying it that way . many of us have to sneek new drugs in in low doses so our masties don't notice and gradually increase the dose Smiley .

I am also a recovering type a . I love the bed bug thing Smiley It has taken me time to not try and get stuff done . I know i cant ( BUT ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am doing better with domestic help as I am not having to sit amoungst chaos xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You are right that you have to live with it to really understand .  It has taken time for my family to really get it . They love me and try Smiley That helps .

For a while i felt I could " decide" when to have my Epi pen and i was ignoring my serious symptoms until It was very late . It was my only control over it. One time the parmedics told me to use it sooner than i would ahve and it worked and I was less sick overall and recovered quicker . So , I got it xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I am not Epi happy now . But I know when im sick and i trust that feeling Smiley. That way I can keep myself safe Smiley

How are you doing with sussing your triggers ?? As this is the biggest way you , can reduce symptoms Smiley it took me a good while to find mine but now i have I am avoiding a lot of reactions Smiley

hugs
Josie

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #9 - 03/10/11 at 21:27:17

Hi Susan!!
Im glad the hard part is over for you. I must be scheduled for the same study as you since the director of it is Dr Wilson and its a 2 day study.  I also want to take part in the IA study (that one would be ongoing). Im faxing the last part of info they need tomorrow, before making a definite decision.

I have to ask you, did they cover your expenses? Travel and hotel? They asked me if I could fly, I said yes. I cant go if they dont cover expenses. My ex-hubby will go with me. whenever it is.

For those of you who knew I had my skin biopsy done and was unhappy with the results of the lab processing it---I got a bit of news today that ,my daughters boyfriends Father, just had a biopsy done to rule out Ca--and the same lab LOST IT. Can you imagine? I have my own tissue samples and will be taking them elsewhere this week to re-process.

Susan. which 2nd study are you taking part in??? Im glad youre home safe and sound.
love and hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

dragonbunny
Rookie

Try not. Do. Or do not.
There is no try
Texas
Reply #10 - 03/11/11 at 06:24:02

Hi Ramona,

Last year I had to pay for my own travel.  I believe the first visit is dependent on the patient and then if they are asked back the NIH pays for travel.  I could be mistaken, however, so I would double check with Daly or whoemever you are in contact with.  They may be able to do full transportation if you explain your situation.

My mom was able to stay at the lodge there as well this year.  It was free except for her meals, which the guest is responsible for.  She said it was quite the nice place. Visiting hours are very lax so she could come and go as she pleased.

The 2nd study was under the GI center - testing for stomach acid and reflux in people currently on drugs to stop it, but are still having issues.  I don't have the name here at work - I'll try and find it at home tonight in all my paperwork.  Its actually a much longer study than I was able to do - I was glad to do the extra 2 days with them but they do up to 5 some times.  They like masto patients for that study because of the GI issues.  If I can't get the Bravo test they would like done here locally I may call them back.  I know in my heart I can't get it done because I have no insurance but I guess I will check on price anyway.  

Let me know what you decide - I really like Dr. Wilson and his staff - What does the IA study do?

Susan

Walt Disney
Pubomb  
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #11 - 03/19/11 at 07:25:12

My contact is Ms Root RN and she is so nice. If they cant pay for travel,I will probably opt out, I just cant afford it on SSD.

The 2md study I want on is;  IA and I have had 12 episodes of Anaphylaxis in 14 months, so thats one reason why I want in it.

The other study is
---------------------
Protocol Number: 08-I-0184
Title: Studies in the Pathogenesis of Idiopathic Anaphylaxis
Purpose:
This study will explore the possible cause of unexplained, or idiopathic, anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a rapid, life-threatening, severe reaction that occurs suddenly after contact with an allergy-causing substance, usually a particular food, drug or stinging insect. The allergen triggers mast cells to release several substances, including histamine. Histamine is responsible for many of the symptoms that may occur, such as flushing, hives, swelling of the palms and soles or tongue and vocal cords, nasal congestion, itching and tearing of the eyes, shortness of breath and wheezing, stomach pain, vomiting, low blood pressure, loss of consciousness, shock, and, rarely, death. Severe episodes of anaphylaxis are treated with epinephrine (adrenaline), followed by oral antihistamines and steroids. In more than half of cases of anaphylaxis, a clear cause is not identified. These cases are called idiopathic anaphylaxis. There is no cure or long-term preventive therapy for patients with recurrent episodes of idiopathic anaphylaxis.
People between 18 and 55 years of age who have idiopathic anaphylaxis episodes at least 6 times a year (with at least one episode every 3 months) may be eligible for this study.
Participants are evaluated at the NIH Clinical Center with the following tests and procedures:
·      Medical history, physical examination and blood tests.
·      Bone marrow biopsy. For this test, the skin over the hipbone and the outer surface of the hipbone itself are numbed with local anesthesia. Then, a needle is inserted into the hipbone and a small amount of bone marrow is drawn into a syringe. The needle also cuts a small core of bone marrow, which is removed for analysis.
·      Other tests that may be needed for evaluation of the patient's condition.
Contact: Patient Recruitment and Public Liaison Office   (800) 411-1222 prpl@mail.cc.nih.gov

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print