Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idiopathic Anaphylaxis (Read 1185 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Idiopathic Anaphylaxis
03/13/11 at 03:58:52

I really should be cleaning my house, but... Wink

As you know I've been starting to read through the book that Dr. Castells edited, "Anaphylaxis and Hypersensitivity Disorders."  Since the chapters are written by different authors, it really gives you a sense of how much is unknown about mast cell disorders and how much the researchers disagree about certain points!!

For example... there's an entire chapter about "idiopathic anaphylaxis."  The basic premise is: give them some steroids and EpiPens and send them on their way... this disorder has a "good prognosis."  Drives me crazy!!!  It does NOT take into account just how disabling IA can be... or how much you can improve your quality of life through medications (other than steroids) plus lifestyle changes.  We know better!

Anyway... other chapters treat the topic of IA in a very different way.  For example, the first chapter on the definition of anaphylaxis (written by Phil Lieberman) recognizes three basic categories:

- Anaphylaxis due to exogenously administered agents (e.g. drugs and foods... I would also include radiocontrast)
- Anaphylaxis due to physical factors (exercise, cold, heat, sunlight)
- Idiopathic anaphylaxis

In this case, "idiopathic" doesn't really mean "I don't know"... it just means anaphylaxis triggered by some unknown factor inside the body.  This could be estrogen, progesterone, FceRI antibodies, complement, bradykinin, thombin, a combination of these factors... there are many clues, but there is still so much research to be done!  I say that my mast cell disorder is autoimmune (so does my hematologist), but in truth... nobody has studied the role of FceRI antibodies in systemic allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), only in chronic urticaria.  There was ONE experiment... involving 10 people... and because they didn't find what they were looking for, they gave up.  

Anyway... I feel better about the idea of "idiopathic anaphylaxis" now Wink  I just wish they would get rid of the word "idiopathic."  To regular, clinical doctors the word "idiopathic" sounds like "no big deal."  Totally WRONG, but you have to educate them on why it IS a big deal... it gets very tiring and frustrating.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Idiopathic Anaphylaxis
Reply #1 - 03/19/11 at 07:36:02

Hi Heather Smiley
I agree with you... educating medical staff is SO important and sometimes we are just too sick to do it--and many times they wont listen anyway (How could we dare to tell them their job, right?).

I was REALLY hoping they would create categories with more symptoms so those of us with weird triggers dont have to argue that it IS anaphylaxis when we go in. Im pretty obvious cause they usually  lose my BP BEFORE the ambulance arrives at the ER. I shudder to think of what other people have to do for appropriate treatment and diagnosis.

Thats why I think it is SO important for people to have notebook explaining their particular mast cell disorder and how to treat it--or at the very least people should carry their Dr letter saying how-to treat it, it gives us quick validity when we cant afford to waste time.

Hugs
Ramona

PS Please let us know what you think as you continue to read the book, I LOVE your analysis!

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print