HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie (Read 9818 times)
Shawna
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

03/04/11 at 00:11:57

Hello everyone. I am finally diagnosed with TMEP...I use finally cus it took 3 years. I found out after a skin biospy and blood work. Evidently the Hematologist is not alarmed yet cus my tryptase levels are not high enough to be systematic. I have the ugly red/brown rash on legs and its growing upward in not so wonderful places and I'm worried it might go to face. I have been hypothroid for about 14 years and had gasto "issues" for many years. I break out with terrible rash when I get hot or exposed to sun. I have tried the allegra but It have me terrible headaches. Zrytec dries me out too bad.Started Doxepin last night and this mornign feeling TOTALLY GROGGIE AND INCOHERENT.....so take that off list of meds i don't like.
  I am being treated at Walter Reed and they are suppose to start some lazer therapy on me in a couple weeks to help with the "spots"...they act like its just something ya live with and take pills and life will be "all good"..mentally exhausted with this whole deal...
  Not sure is this condition is hereditary but my son has major stomache pain issues and now they think he has Chron's or Ulcerative colotis. Will know after is 2nd upper/lower scope in a year next week and he is only 11.
  Any advice or info for me and my son is helpful...Thanks everyone.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Newbie
Reply #1 - 03/04/11 at 02:21:40

Hi Shawna and CONGRATS for getting a diagnosis!! I am so happy that you joined us and Im THRILLED that they are finding little else (so far) with your tests. If you play it careful and smart, you dont have to get any worse Hon... I pray for a great quality of life for you once you get these GI symptoms under control!

There are so many different meds H1 and H2 blockers that you can choose from until you find the one you respond to the best.. Yes, some are drying,.. but you will grow out of that, it will pass.. I might suggest either Singular or Vistaril.. those are the 2, I see people saying they love the most--the best results for them.

Doxepin isnt good for people who have low Seritonin  levels.. I tried it too, didnt help. I would REALLY like to see you try Zantac 300 mg twice a day--it is such a help to most of us. Talk to your doctor , keep working on your battle plan and keep a positive outlook..Once your meds are "tweaked" right for you, life will get so much better Smiley
Hugs!!
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Shawna
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 03/04/11 at 03:01:59

Thanksriverm for the info.
      I am currently taking prilosec for stomache and had stopped the singulair with the zyrtec because of such dry eye problems. I fell asleep for 2 hours this morning because of the doxepin..yikes and I dont' really wanna go down the antidepressant route. I had taken celexa for about 10 years because of my Chronic Fatique syndrome. Funny how all these years later they say that CFS is real now. I am worried about getting so bad I will end up like my mother who has Fibro so bad that a lot of days she can't function and or get outta bed. My sister has it too. I did a sleep study years ago and they said I had Restless leg syndrome. docs werent sure if it was really the problem cus celexa might have been the culprit. Either way I changed to the new med yesterday to get a good nights rest, but at this rate I will never have a life if I'm drugged up feeling or napping at 7 in the am. I got things to do kids to raise. Thankgoodness I just got layed off. I can get this condition under control.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 03/04/11 at 05:08:39

Hi Shawna, glad you joined the forum. I was just diagnosed with TMEP as well last Tuesday. It's been a 3 year journey for me as well, which I consider too long but I guess the average time it takes someone with masto to get diagnosed is 9 years!
I understand your fears about the future with CFS, and mastocytosis. I was diagnosed with Fibro a year ago after going to the doctor for a couple of years with problems. You will notice many people of this site that were diagnosed with either CFS or Fibro before masto. Many of us wonder is there some kind of connection or were some of us misdiagnosed? You will probably have a better idea when you get on the right combination of meds that's right for you. If your symptoms of CFS disappear when you take your masto meds then you might start to question that diagnoses. Only you will know.
A lot of people with CFS and Fibromyalgia find relieve of their symptoms with some diet adjudgements like eating no sugar....none, even little fruit. For me this diet gives me like an 80% improvement in symptoms. My mother in law has fibro and at times could barely get out of bed, I noticed that when ever she ate bread products her symptoms got worse, I had been hounding her for years just to try to go gluten free, she has now and she said it is like night and day for her. So I know doctors will tell you diet doesn't play a part in fibro and CFS and I would beg to differ.

Finding the right combination of meds will take a little time so don't get to discouraged. I'm still trying to figure out mine.
Ramona is right 300mg zantac twice daily seems to help a lot of us. I hate taking all these meds too, but for me upping my zantac to 300mg twice daily made a big difference in how much I flushed and how  itchy I was.
I too have children and understand that being that drowsy is unacceptable. I took doxipen for about 2 weeks and yes it made me feel like a zombie. I take hydroxyzine 50mg at it helps me sleep without the frequent waking I have experienced for years, so feel like I get solid sleep....yet I'm not a zombie and I still wake up when my 12 month old baby wakes up in the middle of the night. I just started cromoyln and I already am seeing a difference.
I still have a lot to learn but there is a ton of really knowledge people on this site that can help if you need it. I think the biggest part of managing masto is figuring out your triggers, for most of us it's food. Do you know what your triggers are?
It's nice to meet someone else with TMEP. Where do live? I'm in washington state.
Melissa

IP Logged

Shawna
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 03/04/11 at 05:46:29

I live in D.C area and I see Military Doctors.
     Interesting info about the bread and sugars. I am a chocoholic have to have 1 piece of something a day. They tested me for celiac and it was negative but maybe I should try the no gluten thing.
Now, I have heard several people mention cromyln. Can you tell me more.?

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 03/04/11 at 06:37:54

Shawna you are lucky that you are in DC, your pretty close to some of the masto expert doctors.
Cromoyln sodium is a mast cell stabilizer. So from what I understand it blocks mast cells from releasing those contents that causes those annoying masto symptoms. Someone else might be able to explain it better than me. But I noticed a difference in my breathing, which was weird because I didn't know my breathing was even being affected. I heard Singular helps a lot of people, thats the next med I will try.

What kind of symptoms do you have with the masto?
Melissa

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #6 - 03/04/11 at 08:01:45

Hellooooo TMEPers!!!! I have had TMEP since 01. I can say it pretty much has spread everywhere....started on the top inner thigh, but it is not on my face. My masto is systemic and my tryptase runs anywhere from 188 to 135. I can say with my skin symptoms, as I refer to as  "melting skin" was greatly helped with the Gastrocrom. I live in Ohio. I see Dr. Akin once a year.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 03/04/11 at 09:32:04

HI Shawna, and welcome to the forum,

There is hereditary form of mastocytosis, and researchers are also studying mast cell dysfunction in fibromyalgia patients.  They now feel there's a connection.  

Many people with mast cell disorders have digestive problems, and it's known that mast cells can be the culprit.  When your son has his testing, you might ask them to test for mast cells,too, and, if they find he has too many in his digestive system, to do a morphology on them.  Gastrocrom is the treatment of choice for that problem. 6-8  weeks of gastrocrom might give a long term positive result, or treatment may need to be ongoing.  I've also had a lot of luck using probiotics.  My favorite at the moment is "Align," which is available over the counter at pharmacies.

If you haven't already, you might want to try a low histamine diet for both of you.  (www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm)  You do have to be strict on it, because eating just one high histamine food or a food that triggers direct histamine release can send you back to square one.

Regarding doxepin, I took it in the beginning just to get some relief from the symptoms.  However, I only took 10 mg. and only in the evening before bed.  It helped my sleep, and I felt rested in the morning.  Of course, we're all different and that may not be the best med for you.

Joan

IP Logged

Shawna
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 03/04/11 at 15:36:28

Starfish have you tried the lazer treatment or blue light treatment to get rid of red/brown spots? We will be moving to Georgia next year and I can't wear long sleeve shirts and jeans when it 100degrees outside.I sometimes panic of the thought of living in a hot area. I can't really take the kids swimming like I used to because of rash that comes on with sunlight and or getting hot.
  Joan thanks for the info. I will try and explain to pediatric gastro doctor what I have so that he can check my sons mast cells.I will hate it if i found out my son inherited his sons issues from me. They this he has either Chrons or Ulcertive colotis.
 Melissa I have the brown/red spots which for over a year I thought was age spots.(I'm only 41) and that was 3 years ago. I have had CFS for years. Slow digestion/acid reflux. Which until the last month did I learn from this sight that they are all related. I have had more and more seasonal allergies I thought until it started happening all year round. Weird how all this is connected yet there are no websites out there for information on TMEP.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #9 - 03/04/11 at 16:28:33

Shawna, I'm not sure how your sons digestion is or if he has a lot of pain and/or many foods he can't eat but there is a book out there called ''Breaking the Vicous Cycle, The Specific Carbohyrate Diet". It is a book for people with bowel disorders. I have it and I'm actually reading it again. It's very interesting and makes a lot of science, the woman who wrote did a lot of research on this stuff. You can read the reviews on amazon, some people say it changed there lives dramically. I will include the links.
Yes, there is very little info on TMEP. Please share any info you find as I will do the same. My doctor talked to me about the laser treatment, the price has really come down.
I have spots on my arms in several places that look like age spots too, they are very faint, I also have some on my legs that rarely get any sun which I also thought was wierd and then I just started getting ones that look like moles/freckles mostly on my arms/chest and back and it was in a really short period of time, like with 2 weeks I had 30 new spots and I thought.....a person doesn't get 30 new moles that quick and it's in the middle of winter. The spots on my chest are red and bigger. They are like the size of a pea or a little bigger. Anyways thanks for sharing.
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/
http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Vicious-Cycle-Intestinal-Through/product-reviews/...

Melissa

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/05/11 at 01:19:51

Hi Mel and Shawna

I had a magazine from the anaphylaxis campaign in the UK with an article on a lady with temp . Ill go on the site and see if I can find any links to information for you Smiley

It is a trusted website for me Smiley
hugs

Josie

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #11 - 03/05/11 at 03:41:58

Thanks Josie!
Melissa

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #12 - 03/05/11 at 04:24:38

Shawna, you are SOOOO lucky to be right where you are right now! You are living next to the Masto experts of the world--and there arent many!!

PLEASE see about contacting someone with NIH and letting them work you up to see what a good regime would be for you. They are the BEST. Either that/or go to Boston, Dr Castells, Dr Akin... before you move. Once they have seen you, you will always be considered their patient and the local doctor in Georgia (after you move)  can call them for help with any problem you have.
Good luck Hon !
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #13 - 03/05/11 at 04:44:06

Shawna,  from what I understand all the "treatments" wouldn't be permanent, but I can say...when I go to the tanning booth, (which is rare), it does seem to make the "spots" better...but I don't know if that is because of the tanned skin, they show less???  But I will say, my skin feels better after I have tanned. (in a booth-and I'm talking like 6-7 mins. max)     I cannot be in the sun....I live in the air conditioning. I become very ill if I am in direct sunlight. Let's just say I wear a lot of capris.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #14 - 03/05/11 at 06:26:04

Thanks Starfish! I have been considering doing a little tanning to see if it helps. I'm pretty fair so I can't go that long. A couple of years ago I went to Florida and got a nice tan and oh I felt so good! Must have been all that Vitamin D. I take 5000 iu's a day and still can't seem to get my levels above 40. I think I have a problem absorbing fat soluble vitamins. Anyways during the summer I usually feel better except when I get too much sun then I feel sick for like 24 hours.
Melissa

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print