Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Incidence of mental illness in your family? (Read 4329 times)
larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Incidence of mental illness in your family?
02/24/11 at 21:50:55

Hello,

I'm curious to learn if the incidence of major mental illness (e.g., bipolar, schizophrenia) is higher in families of people with mast cell disorders.

My brother has schizophrenia.  I have now met three people with a mast cell disorder and they all have family members with major mental health disorders.  I'm curious to see if there are others.

Thanks,
Larken

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Re: Incidence of mental illness in your family?
Reply #1 - 02/25/11 at 02:49:48

Hi larken ,

I have angiodeama , but docs are honing down the cause Smiley .

My brother has schizophrenia , bought out by cannabis abuse . My father had major depression and a addicted personality . So my feeling has been that my larger families problems are surrounding a genetic predisposition to addictions . I am thankful I have escaped it Smiley

My partner has had a schizophenic breakdown . His olanzepine , blocks some histamine receptors . I am researching which . I find it interesting we are on drugs blocking the same receptors for very different underlying conditions Smiley

As researchers continue understanding the genetics of our condition . Connections in genes may come to light .

A connection has been noted with mast cells and autism . Both my brother and partner are dyslexic and had serious mental illness . I had wandered , a josie musing thought , if there is any connection between first borns , with difficult births , and dyslexia and schizophrenia . But thats a question for another place Smiley

Josie

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 02/25/11 at 07:37:25

Hi Larken

Although mast cells are in the brain and that they do release mediators there, in the brain, very little study has been done as to mast cells, the mediator release and mental illness.  They do know that we masto patients have neurological symptoms and activity and they have even named is as Mixed Organic Brain Syndrome, but no studies have beem made other than into that of autism which has been able to even come close to tying the mast cell or mediator release other than serotonins and histamines as to neurological symptoms.  So, therefore, there is no proof to tie mental ilness to mast cell mediator release and nothing to say that mastocytosis in itself is involved in mental illness.   Until the researchers begin to study the role of the mast cell itself = the normal mast cell, and it's involvement in neurological dysfunctions they can't really blame that of mastocytosis the disease as to causing these problems.  Other than autism, which has been seen to be more elevated amongst mastocytosis patients, there is nothing else considered related.   They do know that we are very seriously affected by both the mast cells and their mediator release, but that's about it.

I say this because I recently underwent a neurological evaluation into epilepsy as a cause for my fainting - they thought it might be seizures.  Dr. Castells gave me some understanding as to this.  This is why although you may have found some coincidentals, until they can study masto patients as to their specific neurological behavior and specifically study masto patients who are schizophrenic, there won't be anything known about it.  It would be considered a co-morbid situation.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 02/25/11 at 08:37:21

The only thing that could fall into the category of mental illness in my family is mild OCD, and I don't have it.

There are some places on the internet (and at least one book written) that connect histamine with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.  The most convincing work was done by Dr. Carl Pfeiffer, M.D., Ph.D.  Dr. Pfeiffer helped run the Princeton Brain-Bio Center, now known as the Earth House, which is dedicated to the orthomolecular treatment of psychiatric ailments.   (Can see all this on Wikipedia under Dr. Pfeiffer's name)  There are other treatment centers for people with too much or too little histamine, but I don't think there's any way to know how credible they are.

All that said, some of the things Dr. Pfeiffer advocates may be dangerous for mast cell disorder people.  I don't know anyone who's tried any program of his, and I read his book only because a friend's daughter has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, and she was having trouble on the meds.  I don't think she's used anything from the book, and is actually doing well on a new combo of meds right now.

I don't know about anybody else, but having a mast cell disorder sometimes makes me feel mentally ill!!

Joan

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/26/11 at 11:51:43

Hi Lisa ,

well put , Thanks Smiley I think my mother may fit into the autism category . She has aspergers ( middle of the autism scale )  i am working on some paperwork for use with autistic / learning disabilites in children and adults with mast cell diasease Smiley
To aid documentation and understanding on all sides .

Joan , i understand I think we have all felt that to some degree Smiley Esp when doc's are , in the absence of anything useful on constructive , making you question yourself Smiley

Hugs
Josie

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 02/26/11 at 14:13:46

I don't know if this helps but there are days and moments when I most definitely feel MENTALLY RETARDED???   Smiley Could that be the same thing perhaps???  Smiley

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 02/26/11 at 22:47:02

Ha, yes, I FEEL mentally ill whenever I get a flare of symptoms.  Chocolate, for one, makes me feel totally crazy!

Thanks for the comments.  Josie, that's very interesting about your family history. I can relate. My father is a life-long alcoholic.  

Just to clarify, it's not that I think schizophrenia and bipolar are the same as mastocytosis.  But, I wonder if there is a connection with the inability to regulate mediators released by mast cells or some other connection to the blood brain barrier.  I wanted to ask the question on here to see if, like autism, there was an unusually high co-morbidity (most likely others have asked this question before, but maybe not?).

I had seen the studies by Dr Theoharides on the connections between autism, masto and the break down of the blood-brain barrier.  It's quite interesting!  Here is a great video explanation of how his research to date ties together:

http://www.autismone.org/content/mast-cells-disrupt-gut-blood-brain-barriers-and...

I have also seen some of the studies on H3 and schizophrenia. I'll continue to follow that, too.  My brother is not on any meds that control histamine, so this is a new avenue of treatment for him.  He's been fairly resistant to meds so far, unfortunately.  

Larken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print