Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heavy LONG peeriod (Read 3028 times)
Jaxx
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Heavy LONG peeriod
02/27/11 at 03:53:06

Once again I want to thank this forum.  Although I am still in process, i am gathering records and scheduling apts, and waiting on test reults...my doctor agreed to swithc to an antihistamine protocol andl to change out my albuterol nebulizer treatment with one containing chromium sodium.  

Its wierd because inhaleers that limit leuketrienes onever helped, but the chromium sodium does seem to help.  I stopped taking nsaids, i also becgan taking an antianxiety pill before situations in which i could boil over.  The impact has been tremendous.  I have my mind back.  My energy is higher than it has been in years.  I am cautiously optomiztic that I am on the right trail.

One odd thing that happened is that I had my period for 16 days, and it was a heavy sixteen days.  It is just tailing off now. Ive got to think the change in my medication or condition triggered it, does any one have any thoughts?

BTW:  im sorry to get on heere and ask a million questions, but i've never found so many helpful answers in one place before.  It's addicting.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Heavy LONG peeriod
Reply #1 - 02/27/11 at 04:10:57

Hi Jaxx,

I'm so glad you're finding some answers!

Personally, I bleed easily... and I've had plenty of heavy, long periods like that.  That doesn't mean it's connected to my mast cell disorder.  Maybe it is, maybe it's not.  I'm still trying to figure out the root cause!  So far I've had testing for bleeding disorders, platelet function, and an ultrasound of my lower abdomen.  My GYN said my lining is a bit thick for someone with a Mirena IUD, but no fibroids and no endometriosis.  (I've had all these tests in the last six months).

Do you have any other abnormal bleeding like easy bruising, nose bleeds, petechiae, etc...?  Have you had your TSH checked within the last year?  Hypothyroidism can cause heavy bleeding.  Also, have you told us how old you are?  One last thought I have is peri-menopause.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

eag722
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/27/11 at 07:33:46

Hi, I am a newbie but just wanted to let you know that Dr Castells told me that it is not unusual to have very heavy periods and this is part of the masto. She recommended that I go back on the pill if I could tolerate. Best to speak to your Masto doctor regarding this issue. Best of Luck. Unfortunately I had to go back off the pill due to Ocular migraines and back to the heavy periods again.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 02/27/11 at 07:38:53

Welcome to the board, eag and thank you for those great tidbits of info!! It sure helps when we share our info, we become a database for helping each other Smiley Im so glad youre here!!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Jaxx
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/27/11 at 12:54:02

Heather I read your posts about your cramping.  That is crazy bad.  This is a first for me, and i just wondered if it anything to do with changing the medications.  I mean it seems to be timed perfectly to those changes.  I havehad the thyroid checked so many times, because several doctors have thought my cluster of symptomslooked like hormonal problems.  You know, lady issues.  

I bleed a lot, but do clot.  Prone to nose bleeds (of course).  Some times from my ears (i've got tubes in them because the eardrums were chronically bursting).  From my fingers and hands, because i seem to be slowly loosing fine motor control, and I keep  cutting myself.  I sewed my hand to the couch oveer the holiday's...good times.

I bruise like it's nobody's business.  My neighbors once considered reporting my husband for abquse as did a colleague at school, but in fact i just always have.  When I get too bruisy and constipated i take some iron.

I could veery well have cysts, and hace also been warned about an unusually thick mucusal lining.

I've just noticed that wherever a mucusal lining is involved I'm crazy messed up.  I have blisters on my mouth and tongue today...seriously?  Can't one freaking week go by without mouth blisters, and swollen tastebuds.  

The other day, i was looking at files with a colleague, and my hand started to bleed.  I probably cut it on the cabinet, but who knows, I don 't feel it half the time.  We sort of both looked at it wondering if it would explode or something, because I never seem to know.

Im 40, btw.  Honestly, no ody in my family thought i was going to live to 40, so maybe I should be grateful; but im really just very cranky.  Oh, probably because my body temp jacked up 2.5 degrees, i started to flush, and got wool on the brain.  I'm just waiting for the medicine to kick in.  Hr jumped to 110 which actually isn't that bad for me.  A real attack can put me up to 170.  I use a photoplethysmygraph to measure, so i might be getting uneven measures...more tachycardia than racing.

Great now im rambling, this is the sure sign of aattack for me.....

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 02/27/11 at 13:06:12

I hate to tell you, but I am 43 and just starting to have strange menstrual cycles. My gyno and regular doc says that once you are in your 40s, this is what happens. The first thing you should do is talk to your gyno. While it is normal for us to immediatly blame mast cells, sometimes it is just normal health issue or normal body changes.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/28/11 at 03:21:13

Hi All ,

I have double periods , where I bleed for a week stop and then start again . It is worse in months I have had a biggie . They are heavy with a capital H . It started when I was 33 . I had odd heavys connected to shortness of breath over the years .  I also intercycle bleeding for a couple of days here and there .

I am not menopausal , more over oestrogen producing according to my hormone levels .

With all symptoms I operate the it could be anything rule and when everything else is eliminated , then I blame my mast cells .

I ave had a gyne work up , all ok . I am seeing an immunologist / heamotologist tomorrow so am going to ask about bloods disorders which could be causing the problem . As I ahve bleeding gums ( good dental hygine ) but i flush when I brush my teeth . I also have bowel bleeding with no known cause . I have had a camera up , but only my lower part of my large intestine . So I may need a colonoscopy to veiw my whole large intestine before i can say that bleeding is mast cell related .

The logic behind it being related is that the mast cell releases heparin - which thins blood and prostoglandins and histamine causes our blood vessels to dilate , making bleeding from damage , even minor more likely . We don't block heparin with any of our drugs directly . We stop it being released with mast cell stabilisers .

I will come back to this when i have spoken to my doc  

hugs to everyone Smiley
Josie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print