Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Double Checking about Epinephrine (Read 1299 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Double Checking about Epinephrine
02/12/11 at 10:18:50

Am I correct that in the case of a degranulation that epi should be given by EMTs, even if the person doesn't have breathing difficulty, but does have high blood pressure and a rapid heart rate?  For example, if the blood pressure is 170/100 and the pulse is 160, will epinephrine bring those back down to normal?  Is it definitely important to give the patient epi because high bp and pulse can precede a disastrous drop in both?

Just checking my facts to make sure I don't tell the docs anything incorrect.

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Double Checking about Epinephrine
Reply #1 - 02/12/11 at 11:36:39

My understanding is that the decision should really be made by the doctor... if a patient has an EpiPen, the EMTs should use it.  Otherwise, you can't assume epinephrine is safe... it could make the tachycardia worse if it's not mast cell related.

What you're talking about is a "hypertensive variant"... someone who gets high blood pressure when degranulating.  In that case, an EpiPen WILL bring their BP back down... and their doctors who don't really know mast cells will freak out Shocked

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Double Checking about Epinephrine
Reply #2 - 02/13/11 at 05:47:37

I am that person who shocks with "Hypertensive Variant". My BP will spike VERY high, then drop to zero within 2 minutes. I would guess that giving the epi  would depend on the EMTs understanding of how severe the reaction is at the time...

I dont always use my epi when I shock.. I DO use it when I think the shock is a severe one and Im feeling as if I will lose conciouness. Thats the difference for me.
Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print