Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Complete Metabolic Panel (Read 2399 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Complete Metabolic Panel
02/09/11 at 11:33:19

Okay, so I'm confused and kind of worried. I'm kind of a worry wart, I'm worken on it. I had blood work done last Wednesday. I had a serum tryptase and a CBC. I also was prescribed Xyzal and was told to replace my zyrtec with Xyzal. So I called the derms office yesterday because I have been so dang itchy and I'm wondering if maybe I should go back to the zyrtec or maybe she will want me to take more Xyzal. So the nurse called today telling me they want more bloodwork from me and they sent it a prescription for Cromolyn Sodium. I asked her if they got my labs back and she said no. I know the girls at the lab and she told me they would have the CBC the very next day. I know it takes doctors a while to get back to people. But the fact that they ordered more blood work makes me think they got some abnormal labs and want to further investigate so it kind of scares me. They ordered a complete metabolic panel. Whats that for?  I'm sure I'm over reacting. Why would she order this?
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Complete Metabolic Panel
Reply #1 - 02/09/11 at 12:06:22

Hi Melissa,

The CMP is a very normal test to run... I'm guessing they just forgot to add it on.  It tells you about things like liver function, kidney function, blood glucose, etc...  It might sound kind of impressive (and it can be an important tool), but it's actually a very basic set of tests... nothing that you should worry about. Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/09/11 at 14:40:55

Hey Missy,

My allergist calls  Xyzal  the "Son of Zyrtec"  Shocked   Seriously, where do they come up with the names for these things?  Sounds like some sort of alien family, and they all " fight for control of the planet Chromolyn". Anyway, Xyzal and Zyrtec It's pretty similar, don't worry about that.  CBC is standard.  It's a nice test to order when you don't know what else to order... kind of like a "Happy Meal".

My advice... if you are going to take Zyrtec, I would go with the grape flavored if you aren't allergic to dyes and such.  I mean, swallowing my grape every night is way more enjoyable that another BLOB 'O PILL!

Get your perks where you can... if only they made it in "Boston Cream Pie" for us big kids!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 02/09/11 at 15:34:00

Jbean- Lol! You are hilarious! I didn't even know they had liquid zrytec......NICE. I wish they had a margarita flavor. I could real go for a Patron Margarita......oh I'm drooling! Oh well I will just have my husband breath his beer breath on me, that will have to do for now. Lol! So far not to impressed with the xyzal. The pharmacist told me it was a cousin of zyrtec but stronger.....hum....not seeing it. I'd rather go back to the zyrtec. Thank goodness I have insurance, I saw the full price of the xyzal was 98 bucks before insurance. Luckily my co-pay was 10 bucks. But I will follow the doctors orders and give it a try. I'm kind of nervous about what the cromolyn (whatever it's called )is going to cost. Usually things are a 10 co-pay but I keep hearing this is an expensive med and sometimes some of the expensive meds my insurance doesn't cover as much. We will see tomorrow.
Melissa

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 02/13/11 at 04:53:17

Jbean, you are one funny person LOL.. loved those descriptions.

One word of warning here to eveyone.. the flavored meds often contain aspartame as a sweetener. That is a BIG trigger for me, so you might want to ask when you pickup a new flavored med.. does this have any aspartame in it?? Just in case you react to it too Smiley
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print