Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Idiopathic Anaphylaxis (Read 14610 times)
Tess
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Idiopathic Anaphylaxis
02/09/11 at 04:24:55

Is there anyone here that has been diagnosed with idiopathic anaphylaxis and doesn't feel 100 % at any time betweeb events?  I struggle with fatigue and pain and an "off" stomach at the end of the day.  Light exercise helps with the pain and benedryl helps my stomach, but I'm not sure what will help with the fatigue.  I tried gastrocrom, but it seemed to add to my stomach problems.  I was wondering if the other mass cell stabilizer they sell in Canada (can't think of the name of it) would help with the fatigue.  Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Idiopathic Anaphylaxis
Reply #1 - 02/09/11 at 08:16:05

Hi Tess,

We do have those here diagnosed with IA, Debbie is one.  

Depending upon your symptoms, your test results and your doctor, you may have ended up with a diagnosis of IA or not.  Some of th researchers used to diagnose IA when the patient couldn't fit into the WHO diagnosis for Systemic mastocytosis.  Some get this diagnosis when they can't show any proof of mast cell activation.  As of September, we are all waiting to know what has come of that meeting to know what is going to officially define what is the diagnosis for a mast cell activation disorder versus that of IA and other forms.  So, this is anybody's guess as to how it's going to be.

However, with IA, Dr. Akin's work on these patients proves that some of them are in truth SM patients because in spite of the fact that they could not find any kind of proof of mast cell activation, 1/3 of the patients had mutations on their genes with their mast cells!  So, for all basic purposes, IA is considered a mast cell disorder.  That being so, we are all treated with the same medications.

So, in saying this, gastrocrom doesn't work for everybody and this may be your case.  However, we don't all have to take gastrocrom.  I don't because of how expensive it is.  However I take ketotifen which you can get in Canada.  Just ask your doctor for it.  As far as the fatigue goes, Tess, I've found that ever since I was put on Singulair, this is the medicine which has given me back a great deal of energy!  To the point I almost feel normal once again!   I would suggest that you take this!

As to having issues towards the end of the day, are you taking antihistamines twice a day or only once?  When I was on them only once a day, this wasn't enough and by the end of the day I was triggering left and right and quite miserable.  You also may need higher doses of medications.  So this is something to talk over with your doctor!

Hugs!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Tess
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/09/11 at 08:56:23

Lisa,

I was hoping you would be one of the people to respond because you are always so helpful.  I am 55 years old and after having these anaphylactic reactions since my teenage years, I was diagnosed with IA three years ago.  All these years I was told I was having anxiety attacks.  It wasn't until I went unconscious and had to go to the ER that the doctors said it was anaphylaxis.  My primary care physician sent me to a local allergist who did lots of tests - all negative. The allergist sent me to Brigham and Women's to see a fellow who I wasn't at all impressed with.  He barely looked at me the entire time I was there.  After a few more tests (not bone marrow) he also said it was IA.  For a couple of years, I did not go into anaphylaxis but was always tired and in pain.  My primary care doctor said it was depression and fibromyalgia.  I started having anaphylaxis again last summer and my local allergist agreed with me that I should go back to B & W.  I told him I wanted to see Dr. Akin because I had read so much about him and I was not impressed with the first person I saw there.

I finally got an appointment with Dr. Akin in December.  In early January I had a bone marrow biopsy.  All negative.  Dr. Akin said I have IA.  He changed my H1 from Zrytec to Allegra which was much better, less drying and he has me taking Zantac 150 twice daily.  I use benedryl at night if I feel my stomach is off and it helps pretty quickly.  

I will see Dr. Akin again in March and I will ask him about the Singuliar.  I know Deb feels pretty well most of the time - but I'm not there yet.  My questions was is it usual for IA patients to feel so tired and just not right all the time.  I stopped telling my primary care person about how I feel because she always says it's depression and I should exercise more.  I do exercise, but if I do it too vigorously, I go into anaphylaxis.  I still have the desire to do things, but not the energy - this is why I don't think it is depression.  I want so badly to do things.

Anyway - I have gone on quite a bit here - I will ask about the Singulair.  My current meds are:  150 Zantac twice daily, Allegra 180mg in the morning and benedryl in the evening if necessary.  I also take Wellbrutrin 150mg. twice daily.  I appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 02/10/11 at 16:20:57

Hi! Yes, I am your handy dandy IA person, also diagnosed by Dr. Akin. I have plenty of info to share on IA, but I am headed to bed now. (Yawn). I promise I will come back in the morning and write you a proper response!

Good night all!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 02/13/11 at 05:22:30

Hi Tess!
First I would say, dont consider yourself an IA person, consider yourself a person with a mast cell disorder. That will be included this year when the WHO revises their list of what is a mast cell disorder.

Then I would say, YES we all have that fatigue.. some more than others, some less...I just started Singular... so Im waiting to see--and I was taking mine at night but after thinking about it, Im gonna change to take it in the morning.

Do NOT let an doctor tell you that you are depressed.. they cannot see in your head and most doctors who say that, it is because they are the ones who feel a lack of what to do next.. that is THEIR problem Hon, not yours. We have all experienced that!  (doctors who want to call us crazy or depressed). Im happy and a positive person!!

I would caution you about exercising--because it IS a trigger for most of us. At the very least, be extremely careful of what yyou do and how much.

I would also caution you about Benadryl. Iy is a GREAT med but mostly used in emergencies when we are having a severe reaction--because Benadryl affects an enzyme that allows mast cells to degranulate faster.. I would replace that with Chlortrimeton or Vistaril. Save the Benadryl for when you are reacting REALLY badly, take it then.

I dont think you are medicated enough. You need both H1 and H2 antihistamines plus some mast cell blockers/stabilizers. You ma also need a proton pump inhibitor if your tummy is still reacting.  I would recommend adding either Claritan or Zyrtec twice a day, Gastrocrom as directed and increase that Zantac to 300 mg twice a day. Your tummy will love you then Smiley  You may also need to add Prilosec once a day for a month but that is only temporary for heartburn--then you take it on an as needed basis. Ask your doctor about all of this ok??

You have probably the BEST doctor in the world for mast cell disorders, so make a list of questions to ask during your visit.. but rest assured, most of us would give ALOT to be one of his patients Smiley
You are a lucky patient!!! We are glad youre here with us and please give Dr Akin this forums HELLO!!
Hugs to you,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Tess
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/13/11 at 09:15:30

Thanks Ramona - Oh I forgot to say I have been taking prilosec and it works very well.  If I stop it, I always have to start it up again.  I will ask about Singulair when I go to see Dr. Akin in March.  I am very lucky to live in Massachusetts and have these doctors nearby.  I hope you get some answers working with the NIH.  I know you go through so much when you have an "event."  I have the same experiences with anaphylaxis.  I have had this all my life and was just diagnosed three years ago and I'll be 56 this year so you can imagine how many doctors stood there scratching their heads.  I'm so glad I found you all.

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/18/11 at 05:28:16

Hi Tess ,

i don't ahve a diagnosis yet , but am looking idiopathic Smiley . I too have anaphylaxis . I also have daily symptoms including pain and fatigue .

I have been lablled depressed and having fibromyalgia as well and understand completely . The frustration of not being able to do is immesnse Sad . But we undersatnd .

The others have covered meds . I take it you have an Epi pen Smiley or2 in date ??? Singluair has helped me a huge amount Smiley Gastrocrom can be hard on the tummy initially . Have you been tested for H pylori ?? It may be worth doing so if not as it may be adding to your tummy problems . My problems started in my tummy . I was diagnosed with gastritis and my mast cells there cause the bulk of my daily symptoms now . I am asking about gastrocrom soon and a PPI . The more I am able to control the affects of my gut mast cells the better Smiley

How is your diet ?? have you had any problems in this direction ? I have an exhaustive naughty list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exercise triggers me , so I only do very little .

hugs , I hope you are well today

Josie

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 02/18/11 at 11:08:10

hi all RESEARCH IN INHERITED MAST CELL DISEASES
I put it in the research studies and trials on this site could some one put the link to that site do this for our KIDS

IP Logged

Tess
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 02/19/11 at 01:14:39

Hi Josie - Yes, I was tested for H pylori.  I have three epi pens and have used two others this last fall.  My diet is very limited now.  I have baked potato, plain pasta, toast, mostly, but I will have other things too - like chicken, green beans.  I am very careful how much I eat although with all these carbs, I haven't lost weight.  It seems I have to be on prilosec or I'm worse.  I was wondering if I should change my zantac to another H2.  Any suggestions?  It is very hard to balance things and have a good day.  The symptoms I struggle with are fatigue, stomach "off" or nausea, and connective tissue pain.  I also had an upper GI test which was negative for ulcers.  Getting that chalk stuff down was a real hard thing to do with nausea.  I don't understand that if my diagnosis is IA why I have so many daily problems.  It should be called systemic IA with daily symptoms!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/19/11 at 02:08:58

Hi Tess ,

I completely understand where you are coming from Smiley . I have thought the same . My feeling is that it is either a biggie warming up , finishing off or daily lower histamine symptoms than anaphylaxis . I have 3 ways epi pen reactions happen . fast -0-100 in 3 mins max . medium , itching , flushed in cycles around face , hair , chest , body , mouth , stomach for up to an hour , then fast into chest and throat closing . and slow itching for hours , slow swelling sometimes stopping , then coming abck up to 6 hrs later .

I can send you my naughty list if you would like to see it . i have replaced some things so its not so bad . My food was so dry , so I have creme friece on sandwiches which makes life better . i ahve found patai starch works for me , so I am managing home made gravy xxxxxx

We make home made jam and other sauces with lemon juice to replace vinigar . It even works on home made chips , in olive oil only xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You may benifit from liquid meds as most contain corn starch . Since swapping my bowel is less painfull and swollen .  Antisickness wise as i also suffer from nausea and bowel spams going back to my stomach , I use cyclizine . It is an anihistamine antisickness .

Metroclopamide ( maxalon ) can contain sulphites . This gave me trouble .

Connective tissue pain is common for many of us Sad . But you in good company Smiley . Cool baths help my back and legs . I know im in for a vomitty day if my joints are painful .

Ranitidine ( zantac ) had revolutionised my symptoms . I do think you are undermedicated . I found it hard that I need so much medication just to get by especially when I was still very poorly day to day . Now im on a good level that means I am more with it and in less pain . Also when I am getting poorly I can manage most symptoms now . I have found that an epi pen level reaction will be even with meds as my outpouring of mediators is too much for my orals , but the dosing helps me not get as ill and helps me recover better .

I am looking into other H2's as I am needing simvastain ( cholseterol ) and will ahve to swap to another one Smiley

I don't know if singulair is possible for you . But it has helped me . In 2 major ways . better breathing , less wheezyness  and less swelling . It is swelling for me which gives the pain . You can loose 2l before it shows as obvious swelling but this will cause your tissues to expand and press on nerves and you lymphnodes to enlarge and cause pain . My bowel swells to give me abdo pain Sad .

I can reduce some swelling with gentle massaging of fluid back towards the heart in small circular motions .

The chronic pain wars me down . I have to do what my body wants , then I get some time to think streight . I can send you my pain scale as well Smiley . Do you know how pain works and which meds do what Smiley
hugs
I hope you are having a good day Smiley
Josie

IP Logged

Tess
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 02/19/11 at 02:26:37

Hi Josie - I was put on simvastatin too last year and my doctor took me off it for a while to see if it was the cause of my nausea - it wasn't so I'm back on it.  What does zantac do in regards to taking simvastatin.  I would be interested in your suggestions for food and pain medication.  I take tylenol now as I am afraid to take motrin as I have heard it can be bad for those with mast cell problems.  

Thanks for all your responses and help.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #11 - 02/19/11 at 02:32:16

Quote:
Hi Tess ,

i don't ahve a diagnosis yet , but am looking idiopathic Smiley . I too have anaphylaxis . I also have daily symptoms including pain and fatigue .

I have been lablled depressed and having fibromyalgia as well....
Josie

Josie, I don't understand how you can say you've not been diagnosed yet.  You have been dear, Dr. Grattan gave you his diagnosis as angioedema, right?   He's only got to define what kind it is - if it's the MCAD angioedema or angioedema in it's own right.   But you don't need to think you don't have a diagnosis, for he's too high of an authority to question his judgment.  

Yet, remember dear, you can have more than one issue going on here.  Another thing is this, due to the recent research of Dr. Blanco, his findings of aberrant mast cells is very important.  Although fibromyalgia can't be considered as a mast cell disorder in and of itself, any more than Interstitial Cystitis can be considered a masto disorder, it doesn't mean that there's not a connection there.  Obviously something is going on with the mast cells within both disorders, this much they know.  Also, there are many masto patients who have comorbid combinations of IC or Fibromylagia along with their masto.  What creates the confusion for the researchers is that there are plenty of these IC and Fibromyalgia patients who show absolutely no sign of symptoms of masto and so they can't come out and say that these two disorders are part of a mast cell disorder, they remain seperate entities until research proves their connection.  However, that doesn't mean that for us masto patients that these disorders are not coinciding within us for way too many of us have either fibromyalgia or IC or both.  There's a connection there but research needs to prove where and how.  They know the mast cells are involved and in both the MCs are proven aberrant in some patients.  But this is all they can say.  

So, although you've got some form of angioedema, it doesn't mean that your fibromyalgia is not part of your disease.  

I would suggest that you show Dr. Blanco's recent work to your doctors and ask them if they think it's worth doing a skin biopsy and then staining those tissues as according to HIS methods for apparently the mere staining with tryptase won't reveal these aberrant MCs.  He said that it was the staining of proteases along with tryptase that revealed the aberrant cells and not just tryptase alone.   Your doctors are going to need to speak with Dr. Blanco in order to see how he did it and they may even have to send your biopsies to Spain in his care to get it done properly since this is brand new research we're talking about.  

Doing this, Josie, may help to reveal what is going on with you and may be what you need to connect these two things together with you.  It's certainly worth a consideration.  

But, for now, Josie, until Dr. Grattan and his colleagues can do more investigation defining what form of angioedema you have, you do have a diagnosis of that along with the other issues - they are comorbid and considered seperate entities until you can prove the connection.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/19/11 at 06:57:50

Hi Lisa xxxx

I understand what you are saying . I did not explain myself clearly Smiley

My fibromayalgia was diagnosed very early on in all this , 2 days after my first shock and all my fibro symptoms have other causes now . I do keep it in mind and I will show the docs Dr blancos work . I am just aware that this was diagnosed before any serious investigations had occured .

I say i am looking idiopathic for 2 reasons .:-

Dr Grattan has not heard my ambulance calls which demonsatrate my stridor with laragngeal odeama . So i know he has diagnosed oral angiodeama and not anaphylaxis . BUT my anaphylaxis has oral angiodeama , laragngeal , sweliing , BP changes , heart rate increase , flushing , facial and peripheral angiodeama and a raised nettle type rash .

Dr Grattan defined idiopathic angiodeama .

I say i am near idiopathic as I have been investigated for all the differential diagnosies for IA .

I do not have autoimmune angiodeama , hashis , addisons or renal ,lupus or myloma . I may have type 3 HAE , which is a disease classified as causing idiopathic angiodeama . So my most likely cause is histamine . I know I could have Masto with a normal tryptase. ( several )  I will ask Dr Grattans mate in 2 weeks .

If you think I am missing something I would love for you to let me know so I can ask about it Smiley
But as things stand . I am true to my statement . i am looking idiopathic . Smiley .

I completely trust Dr Grattan and his colluges Smiley. It took me a long time to find them and I know they know their stuff Smiley

Hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Josie

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/20/11 at 02:39:40

Hi Lisa ,

Drr , yes I do have a diagnosis . I think I wasn't letting myself believe it because it has taken so long and we need to hone down the reason . I couldn't get excited about having an answer . BUT I have  xxxxxxxx

I was also reffering to idiopathic anaphylaxis , feeling I didn't have a diagnosis there . But with upper airway compromise - tounge , largangeal I do fit a category of Dr greenbergers definitons of IA Smiley

Which I have known i have had for a good year xxxxxxxxxx

So this final tweaking will get me to a point I have a useful diagnosis .

I don't completely disregard my fibromyalgia . I am just aware that it was diagnosed early in all this and all my fibro symptoms have other explinations now as I said Smiley My other fibro only friends have been questioning my diagnosis from the outset .

Regards the depression . I am not depressed now . How do i know ?? because I have been . I know my warning signs and am not shy of anti depressants . I have had several things happen . I was bursting into tears for no reason , not sad , feeling ok . It was because mt steriod levels were low . When it was sorted i stopped bursting into tears .

I said to the doc's . I know I am bursting into tears but I am not sad .

For me , I am depressed if I can't give myself a talking to . You know the pull yourself together talk Smiley

The other thing that happened we I stopped opening up to docs about my normal feelings about all that is / has happened to me as they were unable to find an answer and too willing to label normal coping and sorting feelings as depression . It is only now that I am believed and yes , have a diagnosis , that I can trust that docs wont make my feelings and fears to be depression and anxiety and my symptoms psychosomatic .

I have even been over old reactions to make sure i wasn't panicing . I didn't think I was but I needed to check . I had a lovely nurse talk to me about her panic attacks , and I explained how I knew it was my illness not a panic attack Smiley she saw that at times it is hard to get our point accross with docs/ nurses who are set in their view point without being pre judged .

Some of us do experience anxiety as a part of our symptoms , a throwback to needing to be on high alert when we lived in caves . And we are at risk of depression with the changes in our lives . that does not make our whole illness either Smiley

hugs Jose

Tess xxxxxx

Pain management :- hmm , yeah . With IA , mcas or masto we have symptoms and consequences of histamine and other mediators which can cause pain .

Mine is mainly swelling related Sad . My bowel swells to the point I can't take a deep breath in ( wince ) or touch my stomach at all . I have constant lower back and upper right sided pain . All scans have proved negative for anything nasty Smiley

I also have musule spasms in every group at different times . The most troubling are my stomach ( abdo ) bowel and stomach . Bowel spams sometime raidiate up to my stomach and cause vomiting ( once or twice a week ) and down to frequency with rebound pains . These are better now I am not irritating my bowel daily with troublesome foods for me . Corn and gelatine , alcohol , any vinigar , caramel colouring , sulphites  Smiley

The spams are due to my bowel being swollen inside and my body pushing to move stools along . Smooth muscule is also contracted by chemicals in our inate immunity - compliment sub chemicals - 3a 4a and 5a . these are anaphlatoxins . So these don't help Sad Also histamine release in the bowel and stomach from mast cells there can cause spasms .

I am trying loperamide at the mo , with ok results so far .

I was taking codine which is known to destabilise and degraualate mast cells . So this has gone now .

I have tried buscopan . it made me a little sleepy as it interacts with our anti histamines . But i was post shock so the sleepyness ( like a baby ) may have been due to that .

We are a bit stuck for analgeics . As moprhine salts / codine are a no , non steriodals can cause problems , tricyclic antidepressants are a no with EPI PENS .

Tramadol is used by some people on here .I think it is the analgesic of choice ( ramona ?)  

Unf I don't know if I have problem with Tramadol itself . As I have reacted , but its preperation at the time was the trigger . I am going to ask for efferecant and try some in clinic ( with docs ) because if I can have it in that preperation then it did help my pain .

Tylenol / paracetamol . is Ok , but rather weak . the focus should be on treating the cause of the pain Smiley

Benzodiazipines are tolerated mast cell wise . They can help relax the musules and reduce any anxiety Smiley

Gastrocrom should , when fully in the system prevent mast cell activation in the bowel and allow it to heal . I am not on this yet .

I am on singulair , which has helped a great deal . But more with my breathing . Some of my musule pain is / was due to my musules not having enough oxygen and working anerobically ( no / low oxygen ) most musules can maintain this for a time . But they produce lactic acid which causes cramps . So the singulair works to help my airway symptoms and as a consequence I have more oxygen circulating Smiley

All of our tissues are capable of swelling . This is also true for musule , so some aching is due to extra fluid. the other contributory factor is swollen anything pressing on nerves . also our lymph systems are draining the fluid away to be rechanneled back to the kidneys . So enlarged lymph nodes can be pressing on nerves

H2's help block the histamine receptors in the stomach . Since being on ranitidine I am less swollen on my abdo and crucially have less internal bowel swelling and flushing . As a consequence I have less back pain Smiley

My daily management of pain is :-
comfort :- sit comfortable with your legs up
exercise mangement - I swell with exercise so pace myself as I will continue to swell after I have stopped . I am shaky on my legs so do what I feel I can . Too much exercise will lead to me vomiting , swelling and flushing .
Distraction :- up to 5/10 i can normally distract myself .
Warm baths - not hot xxxx will relax my musules . But the exertion will make me shake . ( legs )

I am a hot bod :-
I use cold ( from tap not freezer )  flannels to keep my pressure points ( temples . wrists ) cool and on areas that are tingling as for me , this is a sign of impending swelling .
I sit under a fan . I have to be cool to the touch to be a happy temperture inside Smiley If my back is hot , the fan on it will cool it

There are some cold suffers on here . I hope they will chip in for tips from their side Smiley

Dehydration is my biggest problem . If i get dry I will shake more ,not just feet but head as well ,  swell more .

You can loose 2 litres into your skin before you will notice swelling . So if you are feeling dry , you most likely are Smiley

I have developed my own pain scale on 1-10 which I take to hopsital as chronic pain is very under assessed . I am working on a new tool for nurses to asses chronic pain alone and in the presence of acute pain Smiley

Deb is the one to ask about motrin . i don't have any expiernece of it Smiley

Foods wise . Could you post a list of what you are eating and what you are avoiding and reasons Smiley . That way its easier to see your triggers Smiley Are you apprehensive when eating ? As a conncetion between emotional stress chemicals and mast cell degraulation has been found Smiley

I have worked out my food triggers over time , as I reacted to different things with common ingredients . The best example is gelatine :- capsules + pre gelatinised filler  ( tramadol ) ,then a pork pie , then medical examination gel , then cardiac stickers Smiley

hugs
I hope today finds you well Smiley
Jose

IP Logged

Tess
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 02/27/11 at 12:00:21

Josie - I will get back to you on this soon.  I had a virus on my laptop and had limited time to use it.  Thanks

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print