Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Diabetes Drugs And MCAD (Read 8716 times)
summerfields
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Diabetes Drugs And MCAD
04/08/11 at 11:57:27

If there are others on the forum with a Mast Cell Activation Disorder who take diabetes drugs, I'd like to hear their experiences.

I have had many hair-raising, drug-related reactions, and since four of those reactions were to the four diabetes drugs I took, I have been doing nothing about it ever since, afraid to try injecting insulin.

I wonder if insulin is safer than the oral meds, or if it is just as risky, or worse?  

I know that some people are allergic to it.  And I don't understand whether if something is mast-cell-activation-related -- not true allergy -- if "desensitization" works.  I took Glyburide for years before it suddenly hit me, I should have been well-desensitized.

The doing nothing, isn't safe, either, as time goes on and glucose worsens.

I don't expect "ordinary" doctors to understand the question, since they don't in any other regard.

Of the four classes of diabetes drugs I have used: one (Glyburide) I had taken for a couple of years before it suddenly started triggering me into cardio-vascular reactions (bad anaphylactic style) each time I took it; a second one (Actos) got me on the third pill -- driving, in the middle of a parking lot, where I sat with cars honking at me for a half hour before I finally carefully prayed my way home (no one offered to help me), a third (Januvia) caused me to go to the ER on the very first dose, where the ER doc agreed it sounded "allergic", another (Metformin) just kept me too sick to function for two months.

Because the reactions can occur after any amount of time, simply trying it under a brief medical supervision, won't tell me if it's safe for long.

So I don't feel optimistic injecting these drugs at home.

Any suggestions from others who have been there?

When I try to tell any doctor about this, they immediately believe I am merely afraid of needles, when actually, after the life I have led (countless routines at medical labs), I hardly think twice about needles -- only what the drugs in them will do.

IP Logged

kluesy
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Diabetes Drugs And MCAD
Reply #1 - 04/08/11 at 16:56:55

I have recently been diagnosed with hyperadrenergic pots at Vanderbilt with possible mast cell disorder. (have had chronic swellings for over 20 years, take zyrtec, benadryl and pepcid to control) I also have Addison's(Adrenal failure) and Hashimoto's(low thyroid).

Last Dec I was told I had insulin resistence and was put on Metformin.  I had nausea and some stomach pain at first and then after day 7 bad muscle pain.  On day 9 I collapsed after walking into a store.  Bad tachycardia, flushed, dramatically increased urination, shaking, bad chest pain, legs felt so heavy I could not move them.

At the ER they finally had to put a potty chair beside my bed cause I was urinating so much.  They refused to let me have any water and I had no IV, so nothing was going in. (my renin is always low, as aldosterone)

For the first time, my echocardiogram showed a left side diastolic dysfunction.  Dr at hospital just told me to stop taking the Metformin.  It took 11 days after stopping med for the chest pain to stop.  It was at a stress echo 2weeks later that the POTS symtoms became so apparent.  HR bumped up 40 pts from lying down to just standing up and could only walk 3 min on treadmill until hr went to 170 and dr stopped the test.

The metformin was the only change I made.  I know I have had problems with pots for some time,  but this made it much worse.  I am low on potassium, sodium and magnesium, and it did say on the info with Metformin, not to take if you are dehydrated, so maybe that is why I had the bad reaction.
 It took 4 weeks for me to be able to drive a car again.

I think we are just extra sensitive.  Perhaps we already have inbalances in our systems and that is why the bad reactions to meds.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 04/09/11 at 05:27:05

Hi Kluesy,

Welcome to the group!

As you probably know, people with autoimmune endocrine disorders (Hashimoto's, Graves, Addisons, type I diabetes, etc...) are at greater-than-normal risk for developing more of them.  Have your doctors assumed that you have type II diabetes based on your age, or have they run the antibody tests for type I diabetes?  It's a complete MYTH that only children develop type I... and if you have it, the appropriate treatment is insulin, not medications like metformin.  If you're getting the wrong treatment that might help to explain why you had such a bad reaction.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 04/09/11 at 06:06:49

Hi Summer, Im so sorry this happened to you!! OK, lets tackle this and make it simpler. Im diabetic, type 2 for one year now. Im also a nurse so I will be careful and let you know the difference between my experience as a diabetic and that as a nurse.

I first went on Metformin... couldnt take it. I have a deep suspicion of new diabetic drugs.. I think pharmacies many time release new drugs to the public before enough is known about them. I refuse the new ones. The end up costing a fortune and I dont usually tolerate them--and with masto we dont need other problems, lol.. I opted for insulin. I feel safer with it--I control it..

Let me try to simplifly insulins for you. Think of it as 2 types... an immediate release and a time release... You want 1 time release that you take every day twice a day. You want 1 immediate release that you take only when your blood sugar spikes up and it needs to come down NOW.

I take 70/30 insulin as my time release insulin, twice a day.  NPH  is the most common.

Regular insulin is for when your blood sugar suddenly spikes and you need to bring it down--things that raise your blood sugar (besides food) are.. infections, trauma, some meds, and even pain.

Most doctors will give you a sliding scale.. which means when your blood sugar is over lets say 150, they want you to take 2 or 3 units for every 50 points of blood sugar past 150..

for example, if your blood sugar was 186, you minus 150, leaves 36 to cover  right? You would take whatever time release insulin you usually take, PLUS 2 or 3 units of regular insulin , see? (whichever your doctor prescribed).

I am a control freak.. and I have many years of dealing with insulin, so I feel at home with it. I dont want to run to the hospital with every little thing..so I do better on insulin,. This depends on how comfortable you feel with it and I would certainly talk it over with your doctor and also be in his office for a first dose of anything you take, just to make sure. I hope this helps.
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

summerfields
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/09/11 at 08:56:42

Thank you, Kluesy, that was a worse reaction than I had with Metformin, but my other drugs were that bad.

And thank you, Ramona, it helps to hear from an insulin user, especially if you have also had Mast Cell-Activation-type drug reactions (of any variety).  They have come to terrify me.

All of my family before me used insulin, but none of them have any kind of Mast Cell / reaction disorders, so they only deal with the "usual" problems -- like 40 pounds of weight gain (for which I have absolutely no room), and other side-issues that are common.  

The weight gain is 1/3 of my dread of insulin, proper dosing without overkill being the other third.  Before becoming full-fledged diabetic, I suffered a lifetime of reactive-hypoglycemia attacks, and they're pretty scary, too.  Anything under 80 and I would go into an emergency state.

"Reactive" seems to be the operative word with me.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to buzz you privately in the future when I make the moves to try it.

I have been diabetic for about ten years.  I had some success over a couple periods, of controlling with diet, but that always falls apart eventually; then I tried the various drugs that drove me away from them.  But I can't continue on this way.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 04/09/11 at 14:57:41

Summer, feel free to PM me anytime and I'll give you my phone number, in case of emergency Smiley That might help you feel more secure.
Hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/10/11 at 03:36:10

Hi Summer and klusey ,

I am a diabetic and also a nurse . i will also be careful to say what is my experience as a diabetic and a nurse .

My experience . I was teettering on the edge of diabetes for 2 yrs with regular symptoms but not positive on a fasting test . Infection made me worse . I balanced with drinking plenty .
In may 10 , i was diagnosed with shut down adrenals , the cause is unknown for me , So I had my steriod level replaced in line with a natural production .
At this point I tested positive for diabetes . i had packed on 42 lb with high dose steriods over the previous year . With no adrenal function came poor insulin production .

I tried metformin , it is known to give stomach problems initially . I couldn't find a preperation without corn flour . I tried a liquid , but it had caramel colouring in , which is a major problem for me . It made my tounge swell and me very rough . ( lathargic suddenly , weak , sweaty , flushed )  I stopped it . There are no other diabetic tablets I can take . Its the preperation for me as they all contain maize and / or gelatine . Which between them will have me at a biggie in 2-3 days . So medical supervision is fairly irrelevant for me in this case . I do wander if this was the case with you ?

I then commenced lantus insulin . Its a once a day at night insulin which lowers overall sugar level by 2mmol ( sorry english measurements ) its a helper but is very unlikely to cause hypoglycemia .

Our concern level is 12mmol , serious concern with symptoms over 16 .

Interestingly in a reaction my sugar drops by 5 mmol in 1/2 a hour .

I have tolerated this . Its preservative is an acid but not one I can not tolerate like acetic acid or a sulphite .

I was apprehensive with a capital A . The needles are nothing to me . Ive given myself a fair few epi pens , so the checking my sugar is worse and that's only a very minor irritation . I have settled on LANTUS well . I need a mix insulin 30/70 that Ramona explained , but my GP ( primary ) wants the diabetic docs to do it . So I wait .

I have lost most of the 42lb and am very happy I have . But my sugars remain high .

My appointment is next month . Not long .

My adrenals remain non functioning . I see this as connected .( Nurse opinion )  My diabetes , will remain with me now .

I hope this helps
Josie

IP Logged

summerfields
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 04/11/11 at 04:09:52

Thank you Ramona and Josie, I'm sure as I move along I'll start to understand better.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get on insulin soon, and will welcome consulting with you.  Right now, I have several pressing medical issues that have to be decided upon and the MCAD affects all of them.

My husband wants me to first try more of the "natural" suggestions for diabetes-- and that's basically reasonable and certainly desirable -- but when I've tried out things, like the CoQ10 supplements, I have, so far, reacted to each quickly (and badly).  I avoid trying much of anything new any more, including Omega supplements.  Even the recommended foods are natural triggers for me -- so many rocks and hard places, as we all know.

Thank you for your input, it's much appreciated!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/11/11 at 04:59:01

Hi Summerfields .

I fully appreciate everything helps . In the case of diabetes , controling sugar is about avoiding long term complications which arise from high sugar . This has been my focus in this . I love sweet things but want to avoid complications so am a good girl ( mostly Wink )

hugs
Josie

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #9 - 04/11/11 at 07:39:32

Summer
A few things to remember; First you dont have to gain weight on insulin.. I actually lost weight cause my blood sugar became more normal Smiley

I definitely understand the fear of new meds and even natural cures can throw us into reaction, Most histamine levels are highest at 2am to 3 am, so never start a new med at night--do it in the morning , make sure someone there knows you are trying something new with easy access to a doctor IF need be.

Please be careful of "natural" cures--not because they dont work, but because they often have hidden ingredients that make us react--like fish oil with iodine in the CoQ10. Our choices are limited, tell your husband that Smiley

Please also think about making that jump to insulin as soon as you feel comfortable--high blood sugars are another thing that make us react see? And when we do react with a high blood sugar, it makes us harder to treat and end that reaction. It also makes it that much worse for infections to start, which again will trigger a reaction is us!

As diabetics, your big concerns will be your blood pressure and your kidneys. Keeping that blood sugar under control will help both of those so very much.
Hope this helps!
Hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

summerfields
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 04/11/11 at 10:34:58

Quote:
Hope this helps!

Absolutely, it all helps!

Quote:
fish oil with iodine in the CoQ10.

I wonder if that's what happened, and if it's a sign I should avoid the fish oils. Other disorders I have, the docs push the fish oils, but I've held off so far just from intuition.

With my whopper contrast dye reaction in the 80's (a venogram), I have thought I might be reactive to iodine.  I haven't been able to touch shellfish since around that time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print