HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nicotinamide (Read 2131 times)
chaco
Tutor

Nicotinamide
02/07/11 at 05:49:46

Has anyone tried this supplement as an alternative or adjuvant to prescription or OTC antihistamines?  

I have read various articles claiming it inhibits mast cell degranulation and histamine release.  I have some on hand, my son was taking it last year, but am a bit apprehensive about trying it since some B vitamins are a known trigger for me.

Anyone else have a problem w/B Vitamins?  Either binding in the blood or reacting to supplementation?

Deb Mc

IP Logged

Buster
Tutor

I Love This Forum!
San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Nicotinamide
Reply #1 - 02/07/11 at 06:14:16

chaco wrote on 02/07/11 at 05:49:46:
Has anyone tried this supplement as an alternative or adjuvant to prescription or OTC antihistamines?  

I have read various articles claiming it inhibits mast cell degranulation and histamine release.  I have some on hand, my son was taking it last year, but am a bit apprehensive about trying it since some B vitamins are a known trigger for me.

Anyone else have a problem w/B Vitamins?  Either binding in the blood or reacting to supplementation?

Deb Mc

Deb,

Thiamine (vitamin B1) is the only B vitamin that I have seen on "trigger avoidance" lists for people with mastocytosis or mast cell disease.  I didn't find much in the medical literature regarding an association between thiamine and mast cell diseases.

However, I felt better on a bio-active form of thiamine when I took it in the past, but stopped taking it when I learned that it might make mast cell conditions worse.  I think I will give it another trial to see what effect it has on me now.

Buster

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 02/07/11 at 06:43:53

Niacin (B3) is also a known degranulator.  I've stopped taking a multi-vitamin and have become very careful about supplements.  IMO, while you're trying to figure out your triggers it's better to keep things as simple as possible.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Buster
Tutor

I Love This Forum!
San Francisco Bay Area
Reply #3 - 02/07/11 at 06:52:06

Although the niacin form of vitamin B3 is a mast cell degranulator, the niacinamide (or nicotinamide) form is a mast cell stabilizer.

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Reply #4 - 02/07/11 at 06:58:42

Nicotinamide is a form of B-3 or niacin that, unlike niacin, doesn't provoke flushing or help reduce cholesterol.

I have read that B-6, folic acid and B-12 all one way or another stimulate release or increase levels of histamine.  I discontinued my B-12 shots and Co-enzymated B, folic acid and B-Complex supplementation after discovering that they were all individually triggering inflammation in my spine, increased muscle tension and myofascitis.

Deb Mc

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Reply #5 - 02/07/11 at 07:10:54

Starflower wrote on 02/07/11 at 06:43:53:
Niacin (B3) is also a known degranulator.  I've stopped taking a multi-vitamin and have become very careful about supplements.  IMO, while you're trying to figure out your triggers it's better to keep things as simple as possible.

Heather

Niacin perhaps. But from what I've read, nicotinamde has the opposite effect and inhibits mast cell release of histamine.  Here's a link to one article that supports/discusses this.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l164q45k73364727/

It's taken me nearly 30 years to identify all my known triggers.  I was taking the B supplements and cobalamin injections at the recommendation of my orthopedic, prolotherapy and another doc, as I was severely deficient, and may still be.  I imagine the deficiencies have something to do with whatever's causing my intolerance to B supplementation and everything else.

Deb Mc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print