Send Topic Print
Mast Cell Stabilizers (Read 4136 times)
Buster
Tutor

I Love This Forum!
San Francisco Bay Area
Mast Cell Stabilizers
02/07/11 at 06:26:39

Here's a link to the full-text of an article that lists some drugs and supplements that are mast cell stabilizers.  (The excerpt is taken from page 167.)

http://www.cricyt.edu.ar/biocell/vol/pdf/27_2/01.pdf

Quote:
It has been suggested that stabilization of mast cells
may be a key mechanism to protect the gastrointestinal
tract from injury (Karmeli et al., 1991; Eliakim et al.,
1992; Hogaboam et al., 1993; Whittle, 1993; Low et
al., 1995; Kalia et al., 2000; Kiraly et al., 2000; Ruh et
al., 2000). Few molecules are known to possess both
mast cell stabilizing and gastrointestinal cytoprotective
activity. These include zinc compounds (Cho and Ogle,
1992), sodium cromoglycate (Cho and Ogle, 1992), FPL
52694 (Cho and Ogle, 1992), ketotifen (Cho and Ogle,
1992), aloe vera (Ro et al., 2000), certain flavonoids
such as quercetin (Middleton et al., 2000), some sulfated
proteoglycans such as chondroitin sulfate
(Theoharides et al., 1999; Hori et al., 2001) and
dehydroleucodine, a sesquiterpene lactone (Giordano
et al., 1990; Penissi et al., 2003a,b).

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Re: Mast Cell Stabilizers
Reply #1 - 02/07/11 at 07:23:42

Interesting.  Thanks for posting.  My inflammatory bowel and other symptoms have improved greatly since going on pure cromolyn sodium. My condition is more stable now than it's been in years.  

Chondroitin sulfate, however, is one of my triggers.  I am intolerant to sulfur and that might explain it.  Can't take glucosamine (sulfate) or MSM (sulfur) either.  I had a terrible reaction to magnesium sulfate adminstered IVly to stop premature labor.  Docs kept telling me there was no way I could be allergic to it - ha, think again! I am intolerant to all sulfa drugs, plus cipro antibiotics, codeine, general anesthesia and anti-inflammatories. Yet  I can take pure ibuprofen - don't understand that contradiction. ????

Deb Mc

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #2 - 02/07/11 at 08:22:43

Deb MC:
Your comment was very interesting to me. I don't have bowel trouble or atleast too much. But your talk about glucosamine & MSM is interesting. I had taken large amount of both for about 5 years before I came down with SM. I thought it might have been the shellfish allergy but maybe it was the sulfate angle, as I am now Nasids intolerant and had trouble finding an antibiotic before I found clarithromyacin that I could take wen I have a sinus infection. My daughter who has RA has real sulfate problems. So you might have hit on the mystery that I was looking for.
Thanks
Mike V

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Reply #3 - 02/07/11 at 08:57:39

Mike,

What type of systemic masto do you have?  What testing abnormalities lead to your dx?

Hope you don't mind me asking.  I am waiting to redo my bone marrow A & B, and could use some encouragement. The first one was inconclusive as there wasn't enough marrow to evaluate for mast cells. It did, however, rule out leukemia and lymphomas as a cause of my chronic low wbc and leukopenia, which is good to know.  My other tests such as tryptase came out normal.  Only abnormality from that round of bloodwork and a 24-hour urinalysis was low serotonin, which has been associated w/a subset of mastocytosis in which neurol and GI symptoms are more predominant. I am really dreading having a second bone marrow.  I have EDS so physical trauma tends to take a particularly detrimental toll on my muscles and other CT, not to mention I can't have any sedation or pain meds. Yet I want answers, to ID the monster that stole away the best part of my life and my son's.  Damed if you, damned if you don't. <g>

Deb Mc

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #4 - 02/07/11 at 10:49:57

Deb MC.
SM with heavy cuteanous issues, ie. skin pain & sensitivity. The only test that I've had is the tryptase level of which mine runs in the 16-18 range which is kind of normal for a leaker with a ckit mutation. My doc said at this point either a bmb of skin biopsy isn't necessary, because of my symptoms. My seronotin test came out on the low side of normal but normal. So since my tryptase is inflated it's easy for them to give me a SM diagnosis. With yours not much more difficult. The only pain med that I can take is tramadol but it only takes the edge off the chronic skin pain. My bet is you have a form of MCAD, but I'm not an expert on that form only my own. I think all of us know what you mean by it stealing our lives. I was even in my 60's a very good tennis player & enjoyed participating or going to see the pro's play. I can't do that any more because of the not being able to be in the sun for any length of time. I've lost most of my tennis friends, my coworkers think I'm wierd on my health, as I have no overt signs of health issues in fact quite the opposite. But I have to be thankful many people with masto issues have it a lot worst than me. I feel your resentment as even going on 5 years now I'm still mad about how my life has changed.
Good luck
MikeV

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Reply #5 - 02/07/11 at 13:46:42

Thanks for your reply, Mike.  I'm sorry about all you've missed out on and the loss of family and friends. I can certainly relate. I have spent most of my adult life, from age 24 to present (52), actively trying to get my sons and myself diagnosed, and our medical and other needs accommodated.  It was a continuous full-time job that cost me my health, my extended family - both sides, a career, my farm, a house and, at the height of my neuromuscular meltodwn, the loss of physical ability to care for myself.  But all of that pales in comparison to having to watch my kids suffer a lifetime of pain and hardship, and my older son deteriorate so, and not being able to get them the help they need. That by far is the most difficult part for me; it just breaks my heart.  

I think the delay - to put it lightly - in our dx has more to do with physician failure and  medical negligence. As far as quality health care goes, especially when it comes to rare or unusual medical conditions. Arizona is bottom of the barrel. We don't have any masto experts instate, and neither my son nor I can travel.  So whatever we have, I am hoping and praying it shows with specificity in my upcoming BM A&B.  I don't know what we'll do otherwise.  

Deb Mc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print