Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Muscle Problems (Read 18602 times)
chaco
Tutor

Muscle Problems
01/27/11 at 13:36:42

Anyone else have muscle problems? If so, what kind?  And what type of mast cell disease do you have?

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Muscle Problems
Reply #1 - 02/06/11 at 10:59:59

I have severe joint pain in my chest, ribs, knees and sometimes hips. I've been diagnosed with connective tissue disorder and fibromyalgia. This has been going on for 20 years. I noticed it is worse a few weeks before a reaction. I visted Mayo's Allergy clinic a few weeks ago and they also had me see rheumatology. It all came back as part of my mast cell activation syndrome and not connective tissue or fibro.

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Reply #2 - 02/08/11 at 03:36:18

Interesting!  Where did you get your MCAS dx?  Did you have a bone marrow A & B done.  If so, any abnormalities?  Which Mayo did you go to?

I have Ehlers-Danlos.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 02/08/11 at 03:55:16

Hi, I have bad muscle fatigue, most in my upper body. It feels like I have been lifting weights and arms can't lift one more thing. Sometimes I feel like if I hold my hand out it will be shaky but I do and it doesn't shake. So I feel shakey sometimes too. Simple things like folding towels, holding a dinner plate are tiring. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I haven't been diagnosed with a mast cell disease yet but I know I have one. My dermatologist suspects TMEP and I just had a tryptase test and I'm waiting for results.
Melissa

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Reply #4 - 02/08/11 at 05:54:46

Hi, Melissa.

What is "TMEP"? I'm not familiar w/that acronym.

Hope your testing produces some answers for you.

Deb Mc

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 02/08/11 at 06:24:47

TMEP is a sub type of UP (Urticaria pigmentosa ). TMEP stands for
telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans. Telangiectasias are small dilated blood vessel close to the skins surface. Macularis, meaning macules. There isn't much info out there on it. Usually it doesn't itch, and in most causes it doesn't produce darier's sign when stroked.
Here is a link that describes it....

http://www.expertconsultbook.com/expertconsult/ob/book.do?method=display&type=bo...

IP Logged

manuella
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 02/22/11 at 16:10:24

Hi Chaco and everyone

Just checking in to read the latest posts in this great forum and noticed this posting on muscle pain.

I too am contending with ever increasing muscle/connective tissue/bone pain.  As Missybean and Nikweth experiences, I mostly have it in my upper body especially down the upper and lower arm bones around the elbow, finger bones, neck/shoulders/back of skull, upper ribs, heels, and lower back.  Over this past week following a mini-med head attack one week ago, the only part of me that isn't hurting is my face.  Strangely, my joints are not really affected.

Lately I've been waking up to not only painful bones, but also a sensation of burning on top of the underlying pain.  As the pain ramps up it feels to me like the bones are harder or the pain is harder, it's difficult to describe.  Sometimes it sweeps down my arms in burning sensations and across the front of my upper ribs.  Now, there's a swelling that is getting more uncomfortable and noticeable around the ends of my upper ribs on the left side.  It is painful to press on the ribs or any of my bones and kills when I knock any part of my skeleton on something accidentally.

My pain will ALWAYS escalates following any exertion no matter how mild and also with reactions.  More recently, I've been experiencing bone pain in my pelvis and leg bones following any masto episodes.  I also am prone to agonizing muscle spasms in my neck, calf muscle or any other area that I over exert.  I frequently experience head attacks that occur in the back of my head/brain but often extend down into my neck and through to the eyes as well.  Many foods are triggers for me and I'm struggling to hang onto being able to still enjoy a little bit of chocolate which I know is a trigger for me (caffeine).  ARgh, because I already can't eat so many foods, I am being stubborn about giving up on chocolate although I've learned to avoid it completely on certain days when head pain is up.  Angry

My diagnosis is MCAD but I have sisters and other family members who have mast cell disorders as well.  Only one has a firm diagnosis of SM. For many years the doctors told me I had fibromyalgia but a rheumatologist ruled it out due to not having the specific trigger point pain upon examination.  Aspects of my pain are fibromyalgia-like but I am sure that it is related to my mast cell disease.  I also cannot tolerate any pressure/weight  from clothing, including elastic and lycra.  Wearing something that places pressure on me will set off a muscle spasm or sciatica and even the bone pain if I don't get it off soon enough.

Since my pain levels are continuing to escalate, I'm really starting to worry about how bad is it going to get.  I also don't understand why some of us experience so much muscle/bone pain on a regular basis and others not so much (other than maybe following reactions).  

My tryptase levels are normal (tested on a regular non-attack day).  Two of my known elevations are IGE and PGD2 (taken on a regular non-attack day) so I can only think that maybe this is part of the reason?

Thanks for posting the question Chaco and I hope that any others who contend with muscle/bone pain will respond as well as I'm also really interested to figure out why some of us are so affected this way.  I wish you luck with your medical assessments and any tests that may come up.  cheers, manuella

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/23/11 at 03:59:16

Hi Chaco and everyone Smiley

I have muscule pain , fatigue , bone pain and muscule spasms .

My illess began with wobbly legs on stairs , having to hold on both sides . I prgrssed to back pain , which was / is constant and burning and abdominal pain on the upper right side .

many suggestions later , the docs drew a blank . I saw a rhumatologist the day after my first shock and he diagnosed fibromyalgia . Steriods help my musule pain , so that day I was in a andernaline lul - I get a break from my pain post shock for 24 hours .

After that it hits me .

I also experience my pain worstening in the run up to a shock . This , for me , seems to be trigger related . My legs also shake in the mornings before exertion when I am near shock

Now daily I have fatigue , pain in back and abdomen and shaky arems , legs , torso , eyes . When I am near shock I have pain and head shaking , eye shaking and bowel spasms .

I I can sit up without feeling dizzy / torso shaking I get out of bed , into my chair .

My legs always shake when I am settling to sleep and i lay on one hip , the other leg shakes . i can stop it by clenching my muscles , but it starts again . It also starts / gets worse if I am touched . if I let it do its stuff it will stop by itself . This can take up to an hour .

Any exetrion affects my legs and i will shake . I have to use a wheelchair after a bath / shower as the exertion = shaking .

Sussing my triggers has helped . I can have a bath without going blue now and I can hold my own weight for more than 1 min sat forward . Some days I can hold my legs up for a short period but this remains very difficult . I got a rise and routine chair because my legs were shaking if the hung down for any length of time .

My abdo shaky days are always with bone pain in my long bones and joints .

I am on strong pain killers now , which need to go as it is oxycodone and codine darivitives are mast cell activators . But my pain is ( in the majority ) controlled by comparision to where i was . I am wincing in pain when i breathe in at dose time - due to bowel swelling and my chest expanding and pressing on it Sad

The pain i am describing is through oxycodone . I was put on it because I was in teeth gritting pain with every movement , inc breathing Sad

I remain a challenge analgesia wise

I completely understand the pressure and skin sensitivity . I also at times have vibration sensitivity . I have a memory foam matress now . But on my old one , my partner moving would create vibration which ramped up my pain . so annoying when i was finally comfortable in the ideal pain killer half hour

Keeping well hydrated is the only way I have found to help my pain and shaking. head shaking for me is a sign of dehydration . I have no idea why than it is a fact for me Sad

Cool baths help with the back pain Wink

None of the fibro meds helped me . I was diagnosed with fibro at a very early point when my reactions weren't controlled . My abdo pain doesn't behave like fibro in that i get relief from laying on my painful side .

I have theory and it is exactly that .

Compliment protiens 3a 4a and 5a are known as anaphlatoxins . They cause :- sommoth muscule contraction and for our blood vessels to be porus causing swelling . They also degranulate mast cells .Histamine has the same effects

Musles like any other tissue can swell with histamine induced or compliment induced porus blood vessels which then leak fluid into out tissues .
This swelling causes out tissues to press on our nerves . also our lymph nodes fill with fluid , which also press on our nerves .
Our lungs also fill with low to high levels of fluid . This means we are not having as much oxygen get into our blood . Our muscles can work anerobically - without oxygen for a period of time - but lactic acid is produced - this causes cramps .
Our smooth muscles contract / spam with the effects of histamine and compliment - lung wall , stomach , bowel , bladder , uterus

wilipedia :-

Mast cells can be stimulated to degranulate by direct injury (e.g. physical or chemical [such as opioids, alcohols, and certain antibiotics such as polymyxins]), cross-linking of Immunoglobulin E (IgE) receptors, or by activated complement proteins.[2]

Prostaglandins - PG2 , another mast cell chemical . are known to contribulte to migraine states

PG2 :- Causes a contraction of the bronchial airways. The concentration of PGD2 in asthma-patients is 10 times higher than in control patients, especially after it is brought into contact with allergens.
   * Involved in the regulation of reducing body temperature in sleep, and acts opposite to prostaglandin E2.
   * Causes Vasodilation ( opening of boold vessels )

I am barely touching the tip of a large iceberg on this subject . But will continue reading Smiley

Mast cells spill both histamine and prostoglandins , all very useful in infection . But in us with too much of both and compliment in the mix . Post shock we could have continuing symptoms from vasdilation ( opned blood vessels = lower blood pressure and leaky blood vessels = swelling and pain .

I will keep hunting Smiley I hope this helps Smiley
Josie

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 02/24/11 at 17:07:48

Josie,

I've had many of your symptoms, shakiness, pain, etc.  I don't think my pain was of the same magnitude, but it was pretty bad.  Mine also leads up to a more serious reaction.  Hydration is critical to feeling better for me, too.  I don't know if it would help you, but increasing both my H1 and H2 antihistamines has been the best thing for my pain.  I can't take aspirin, but even acetaminophen blocks the effects of prostaglandins somewhat.

I've always thought that some type of adrenal exhaustion caused the shakiness and fatigue.  Prednisolone has helped that, but I don't use it very often.  My first medicine was doxepin, and it started me back on the road to being stable.

Getting my digestion straightened out has helped my symptoms tremedously.  Of course you should check with your doctor if you want to try anything new, but probiotics (Align) and gastrocrom have been the most helpful, as is l-glutamine supplements and bromelain before meals.

Joan

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/25/11 at 02:37:45

Hi Joan ,

I am pleased good old -paracetamol - we call it may be helping me on several levels . I have been using it for base temperture control to help my sweats . I will continue with it Smiley

I think my pain is helped by my antihistamines in genral terms but my abdomen needs sorting as if this is better I could come off the serious alagesics . I tried recantly reducing a little , 5mg less over 24 hours and I was crying in pain at 48hrs.  So treating the cause is vital to me Smiley

I will ask my immuno about gastrocrom and also the supplents you have mentioned . I am familiar with quercitin . I have only olive oil so worked out flaviniods by myself Smiley I like probiotics and have them when I have antibiotics so they will not be hard for me to introduce daily Smiley

They mentioned gastrocrom last yr , but I think they wanted me on an ideal H1 and H2 combo first +singulair . To see if that would be sufficent . It has helped in several really good ways . My chest is generally less tight / wheezy and this is a source of EPI Pen level reactions . And I am flushing less from bowel histamine , but am still swollen and it still affects my blood pressure , which will be very up and down as a result . I am also having frequency and loose stools .

They should study me as I should be constipated to the eyeballs Smiley

I am hypoadrenal , they are not sure if it is longterm or due to steriod use alone . So yes , this contibutes to my fatigue . Our bodies are behaving , imminity wise , like we are constantly gravely ill so in some ways our fatigue is understandable , but still unbearable at times Smiley

I worked out a trigger in a med due to sudden fatigue . i couldn't hold my 6 month old niece as my arm muscles couldn't do it . It was a miniscule amount of caramel colouring in merformin syrup . I am anaphylactic to this in any more than tiny amounts . My background  antihiatamines saved it from being more concerning .

My local ED , paramedics and ED docs knew me on first name terms which is very scary but also reassuring as they didn't underestimate my anaphlactic abilities xxx

I am getting to know a new ED ; well i am new to them as a patient , but I used to work there . This was reassuring but on my first visit very hard as I can't work and it was showing me what I can't do now . I had also had a 16 week break from shock , so in that moment I felt back to square one . I knew in reality I wasn't that I and my meds have come a long way in protecting me . Id just had a little glimpse of feeling a little better day to day and felt it going , back to uncertinty of when I will next be visiting ED .

Once my infection settled I did Smiley

I completely agree with you about trying new stuff around docs . It had been very important to me ,

I am going to ask for a trial of tramadol without corn or gelatine , in clinic with the docs , as it may be a useful stepping stone in anagesic terms for me . I reacted to its extra ingredients .

hugs

Josie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print