Send Topic Print
Reaction? (Read 4884 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reaction?
02/05/11 at 04:09:56

Does anyone else get headaches when they have a reaction? Last night I got the worst headache and my face was hot and I had that feeling I was going to puke. When ever I puke, its weird I get emotional and start crying right before I puke.I know....weird. I never puked but gosh I felt awful. I also notice my lips were really red like I was wearing lipstick but I wasn't. I decided to take some benadryl just in case it was a reaction. About 20 minutes later my headache got way better but it still hurt, so I took another dose of benadryl and went to bed.
I never experienced a headache as a reaction, I also noticed my heart rate was up too. Anybody else get headaches?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Reaction?
Reply #1 - 02/05/11 at 04:38:00

YES... and I can usually get rid of the headaches with Benadryl plus Tylenol Smiley  That "emotional" feeling is another clue that you're having a reaction.  I'm always amazed at how quickly that fades if I take a good dose of antihistamines.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #2 - 02/05/11 at 07:11:49

Brieann used to get severe headaches 4-5 times a week until we got her started on all of the medications.... now her headaches are down to about 1-4 times a month (but when she does get them they are quite severe).  

I noticed you mentioned the "red lips".  This is one of Brie's frequent symptoms that she gets before, during or after the several day episodes of the red blotches, hives or angioedema to her face. It is as iff she has bright ruby red lipstick on for days on end.  Once this clears her lips look white and chaffed.  Her skin on her face will do this very same thing.  It truly is not chaffed or flaking or dry but will appear this way for hours to days after an episode (kind of hard to with words... sorry).

Kim

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 02/05/11 at 15:02:20

Heather - That is so weird about the crying before. Do you know why that happens to some of us? I mean is there a scientific reason why?

Kim- What meds do you guys use? The red lips thing has never happened to me before. The weird thing was not only were they red but it looked like I put lip liner on.

Thanks guys for responding, now I know I did the right thing by taking some benadryl.
Melissa

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #4 - 02/05/11 at 20:48:06

Melissa;

Brie is on the following medications - keep in mind she is only 8 so the dosages aren't near as high as most people on this forum.  Also I don't feel we have her med regime accurate for her yet... or maybe just not high enough dosages as she still has one or more symptoms every day (they just aren't as severe).

Ferritin 45mg every morning
Allegra 60mg twice a day
Zantac 75mg BID
Singulair 5mg at Bedtime
Entocort EC 3mg take 1 tab twice a day

We just recently took her off 3 other meds (Xyzal, Pentasa and Prilosec)... not sure she is doing as well as she was when on these and the other ones but feel we need to monitor this longer to see.

Keep Well,  Kim

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 02/06/11 at 03:15:14

Thats Kim, I'm so sorry Brie has to deal with all this. Does she have UP or SM?
Melissa

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #6 - 02/06/11 at 06:35:15

There can be a lot of different explanations for how or why we get emotional when we react. Heather and Lisa are the real experts at the scientific explanations of exactly why and how.. Im gonna give you my simple version LOL..

With Masto.. we know that the mast cells are in all organs naturally and the mediators affect our hormones (and vice versa) and also enzyme levels of the different organs where mast cells may be misbehaving. So when we react it isnt just one place or one body system, it effects EVERTHING almost going on in our bodies.. like dominoes...Plus, if youve ever had brain fog, you know that mast cells in the brain are responsible for playing a part in how the neurons communicate information in the brain--and if theyre acting abnormally, we become confused.. i.e. brain fog. When my brain fog acts up, I get more emotional at the same time. Thanks god for Xanax LOL.. and Vistaril! I take Vistaril now to calm the affect of mast cells in the brain--and its working like a charm for me.. the Xanax makes me chill out when I stress--and stress for me is a huge trigger... (for many masto people). We have to remain calm, even when we know we're reacting... so I pop a Xanax, some extra antihistamines and distract myself for awhile--it will usually do that trick and stop the reacting--unless I have something else weighing in on it--like a UTI or other infection.. I hope this makes sense to you and Im sure Lisa and Heather will jump in and help too Smiley
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #7 - 02/07/11 at 04:31:59

Yeah, makes sence. I wish something worked for my brain fog. I'm taking 2 hydroxyzine at night now still no difference.
Melissa

IP Logged

Jaxx
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 02/27/11 at 03:57:18

Missybean,

I remember reading the emotnal thing somewhere else on the forum, and started taking antihistamines right when i felt it like you do.  Holy cow, what a difference.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print