Itching (Read 2718 times)
nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Itching
01/27/11 at 04:44:02

Yesterday I was doing my daily duty of sorting through my email enjoying a glass of soda (Coca Cola to be specific); I was sipping on it and it was the only thing I had ingested for hours, out of no where my entire body started itching horribly (no rashes, hives, or flushing).  But by the time I made it to my meds and started to open the Zyrtec it stopped as quickly as it started.  I still took the Zyrtec to be safe and was fine the rest of the night.

I've never reacted to soda before, as time goes on can I expect to start reacting to new things?  Should I stop drinking soda or could it have been something else coupled with my drink?

I am finding this to be very confusing at times Smiley and I don't know what I would do without everyone here.

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Itching
Reply #1 - 01/27/11 at 06:56:39

I'm not sure it was the soda... not everything is a direct reaction to food.  I have lots of non-food triggers (stress, vibration, sunlight, estrogen, etc...).  Sometimes your barrel is just too full and it overflows a bit!  What time of day did this happen?  How long had it been since your last dose of antihistamines?  Personally, not eating for several hours is hard on my body (it actually makes my blood pressure go up).  Unless you don't mind giving up soda... I would try it again at least once or twice.  Don't cut something out of your diet unless you have to.  (Although I will say that there are healthier things to drink Wink ).

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Reply #2 - 01/27/11 at 07:37:28

Lol, I think I decided it was the soda because we don't drink it at home.  We focus more on natural juices, soy milk, tea, etc; because we do not want our children growing up with a focus on soda (but be careful, for years we thought it was the right thing to do but about 3 years ago we had to incorporate flouride rinse into our daily routine because of the impact that even juices have on teeth); but my mother-in-law came out about a week ago and left a 12 pack of Coca Cola; and I finally caved in Smiley.

It was around 4:00, I kicked back on the couch with my laptop and I had not taken my meds at all that day except the ranitidine that I take in the morning.

I'm still experimenting with my medications to see what works best for me.  I think I will take a zyrtec in the morning with my ranitidine and then keep my pm regiment the same for now (zyrtec, xyzal, singulair, and ranitidine).

I'm a creature of habit so I take my ranitidine every morning between 6 & 6:30 and the full line up at night around 7...

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 01/27/11 at 08:02:38

Ah... I think that explains it then.  If this kind of breakthrough happens a lot you might want to take an extra (small) dose of antihistamines in the middle of the day.  Sometimes attacks that seem "random" are not really random!  Ditto for foods... they're not always the direct cause.  Unless you're really sensitive to chemicals, I think you're pretty safe drinking the occasional Coke Smiley  And do add the Zyrtec in the morning!  You can always reduce it again if you feel it's unnecessary or too drying.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 01/27/11 at 17:14:04

Was your laptop directly on your lap, and, if so, was it hot? I find that this triggers my symptoms. I think it is the heat from the laptop. So now I have a lap desk to put under the laptop.

I cannot drink soda, as any carbonated drink bothers me. Like you, our family doesn't have it in the house either for the same kid reasons. Remind me, what is your diagnosis? Is it IA or Masto? I have IA and that  means that in theory I could react to foods that before I could always eat fine. I am pretty careful, so don't have many problems, though.

Do you get ill overnight or feel really sick when you get up in the morning? If not, you could consider moving your evening dose of meds earlier, unless you need a 12 hour space between meds. I take my evening meds at 4 pm. I figured I would rather feel good while I was doing things other than winding down and go to bed a fre hrs after the meds. I don't feel ill in the mornings or overnight, so it safe for me to take it that much easier

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 01/29/11 at 04:08:03

OK one BIG question here... was the soda a diet soda??? If it was, youre not reacting to the soda, youre reacting to Aspartame! Thats a BIGGIE with me.. Im a coca cola fanatic .  I was breaking out in hives drinking sodas---different brands--then I realized they were all diet and it stopped when I changed to regular soda. IF you react with Aspartame, be careful with ALL diet foods... I hate that additive and Im sure it will be taken off the market in the next 10 years grrrr..

Hope you feel better
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print