Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stomach pain (Read 6248 times)
dragonbunny
Rookie

Try not. Do. Or do not.
There is no try
Texas
Stomach pain
01/24/11 at 13:51:38

I have no idea if this is masto related or something else (I have UP/tmep, and either ISM or something on the MCAD range).  I triggered today at work after lunch- foggy brain, headache, stomach upset, heartburn and tiredness.  I think it was something I ate but I did not know this combo would do it.  I had sliced bell pepper, cottage cheese, tiny yellow tomatoes and tuna with a teeny tiny amount of mayo.  I have been home for the last 3 hours, in bed with severe pain in my stomach - breathing hurts if it's deep enough, moving to. It's all in the front above my belly button.  Is this new to me, but common or had before by anyone after a food trigger?  Thanks- Susan

"....Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever."

Walt Disney
Pubomb  
IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Stomach pain
Reply #1 - 01/24/11 at 14:31:31

Hi Susan!!!

Gosh, I'm sorry you're hurting!  Sue, it sounds like masto to me and it sounds like several things.  I know that on good days I could probably eat everything you've had there, but if it's a "full bucket" day then I'd be reacting to the cheese, the tomatoes, the tuna...   Especially the three together.  Cottage cheese and farm cheeses are the best because the aging process is what raises the histamines, but when I've been on bad days, then even that will trigger me.  

Have you been overly stressed at work or home?  Getting enough sleep?  What about meds, you're not running low are you - you know what I mean - over time it seems that our levels seem to rise and so the need for more meds goes with it.  Perhaps this is what's happening.  Yet, here's another thought - it is flu season for your guys up there and none of us are immune to it.  I got a stomach bug 2 years ago that just turned my insides to pure liquid and I lost about 10-12  pounds in a week!  It was awful!  The two, masto and the bug, kicked in and had a royal party together!!!   This could also be a possibility and you had the bad timing of eating fish to coincide.  I didn't have any vomiting, but just horrendous diarrhea.  Shocked   So, perhaps this is the situation that has you doubled over.

So, what to do - Increase your H2 blocker!!!  Take an extra right now and see if this helps.  It certainly won't hurt and if it doesn't resolve the situation, then you'll know, it's not the masto and you need to consider what the next step is from there.

I hope this helps and I hope you feel better quickly!!!

Hugs!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 01/24/11 at 14:48:20

Unless you commonly eat tuna and know you are fine with it, I bet it was that. Tuna is a known degranulator, although some people are just fine with it I imagine. I cannot eat tuna, and I can only have a bit of red, yellow, or green peppers or my stomach will hurt.

Sorry you don't feel well! Take extra meds and you should hopefully be better by morning.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

dragonbunny
Rookie

Try not. Do. Or do not.
There is no try
Texas
Reply #3 - 01/25/11 at 03:24:50

Thanks Deb and Lisa -

I don't usually eat tuna - I used to, haven't in a while so I thought I would try it for lunch.  Big no no.  I don't remember reacting to it before but that doesn't mean anything with this disease.  

I have some pain still, lower torso, but its moved down and isn't constant so I guess that is good   Cool

I have been under a lot of stress - I am almost constantly for different reasons at work and home.  For about the last 3 weeks I have noticed my H2 wearing off much earlier than usual - waking up in the middle of the night, having problems right after lunch.  I take 300mg of Ranitidine in the morning - and a Prevacid in the evening.  I am not quite sure how to increase those.

My follow up visit to the NIH is Feb 16-18th - I don't want to wait that long to get relief but maybe they can tell me how much or what to increase.  In lieu of that visit, I suppose I need to be EXTRA careful on what I eat and in what combination. Thanks ladies -

Susan

Walt Disney
Pubomb  
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 01/25/11 at 03:53:27

Hi Susan,

I take 300mg of ranitidine both in the morning and at night... and if I have breakthrough heartburn I take a Pepcid Complete tablet, which has both 10mg of famotidine (an H2) and calcium carbonate for instant relief.  I've read that people have been able to take as much as 6,000mg of ranitidine per day (to treat Zollinger-Ellison syndrome) with no negative side effects.  So... I don't think 600mg/day is a big deal.  In addition to increasing your dose, you could also try spacing it throughout the day.

Hope you feel better soon! Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 01/25/11 at 04:00:52

Susan,

You are only on Ranitidine and Prevacid?  My goodness, you are way, way undermedicated dear!!!  You don't have any kind of mast cell stabilizer?  or H1 blocker?   And you are making it only on the Ranitidine 300mg in the morning?   It's no wonder you're suffering!  

Sue, antihistamines have only a 12 hr lifespan!  By the time evening comes, you're needing another dose!  This is why you're not getting through the night!   But you're also not on an H1 blocker and you should be.  

I suggest that you get some OTC zyrtec  and take 10mg in the morning and evening and I'd take the Ranitidine 300 mg at night too and see if this gives you some relief.   I think that you'll find that everything is immediately resolved and that you'll feel better right away.  

You may be thinking - ooh, take this without my doctors at the NIH telling me to?   Think about it Sue, if this gives you relief, then you were needing it.  If they find that it's not good for you, then they can change it once you see them.  Talk to them about adding Singulair and Chromolyn as well.   But remember, these meds are over the counter now and you are free to work with these as you please.  They are not going to present any problems to you and we masto patients take loads of antihistamines.  These doses are what the great majority of us take, so I'm not putting you into danger by suggesting this.  But, it's up to you.  Yet remember, you're right on the edge of anaphylaxis and this poses a far greater risk to you than these meds do.  So, please consider what I'm saying.  

I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 01/25/11 at 04:42:15

Dr. Akin has me taking 300 mg Zantac in morning and 300 mg Zantac in the evening (along with some other meds). You should definitely try an evening Zantac as well as your morning dose.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

dragonbunny
Rookie

Try not. Do. Or do not.
There is no try
Texas
Reply #7 - 01/25/11 at 11:37:47

Sorry - I still have a bit of brain fog - you should have seen me at work today.  I went in late but still-

I am currently taking

Morning -
300mg Ranitidine
10mg Zyrtec
10mg Prozac

Evening
10mg Zyrtec
Prevacid
Daily vitamin
Calcium
Fish Oil - I cut back on that at someones rec about 4 months ago and i don't have a problem with it now -

I take Benadryl if I trigger a little bit - I don't do well mentally if I have to take Claritin or something like that on top of the Zyrtec -

Does anyone take the Prevacid and the Ranitidine at the same time?

Walt Disney
Pubomb  
IP Logged

nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Reply #8 - 01/26/11 at 04:27:43

Fish oil is high in histamines and can cause issues for a lot of us. Also, looks like you are on very low doses of H1 / H2 blockers and no mast cel stabilizers (assuming what you have is indeed a mast cell stabilizer). Here's what Dr. Greenberger at Brigham & Women's (who works with Dr. Castells) put me on:

Gastrocrom - 200 mg 4 x day 30 minutes before meals AND

A.M.
Zyrtec - 20 mg
Zantac - 300 mg

PM
Zyrtec - 20 mg
Zantac - 300 mg
Singulair - 10 mg

Severe cramps from eating - Claritin Redi-tabs.

When i go up there in a few weeks, i'm going to discuss allegra vs. zyrtec in the a.m.  and what else i can use for breakthrough flares since you are apparently only supposed to use Beandryl a few times / month if possible.......

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 01/26/11 at 04:33:28

Just fyi: Dr. Akin has me take an extra allegra or zyrtec for my breakthrough flares....So, basically if needed, I could take an allegra and zyrtec in the morning and allegra and zyrtec in the evening.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

dragonbunny
Rookie

Try not. Do. Or do not.
There is no try
Texas
Reply #10 - 01/26/11 at 04:50:45

I started taking the fish oil about 8 months ago because I have a lot of brain fog and several people mentioned it was worth trying.  My problem is that I initially took too much.  I cut back and it does really help with the fog -

As for mast cell stabilizers - I can't afford any of them without insurance.

The people at the NIH actually liked that I took Benadryl to stop flares but I have read several comments saying we aren't supposed to do that - I will have to clarify this with them in Feb.

NYCpots could you please clarify this?  
" and no mast cel stabilizers (assuming what you have is indeed a mast cell stabilizer). "

Walt Disney
Pubomb  
IP Logged

nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Reply #11 - 01/27/11 at 06:54:35

Sorry - I meant to say "assuming what you have is issues with mast cell degranulation".......

Re: the Benadryl - that was something i learned from others on this site. I would love to hear what the folks say at the NIH - I plan to ask the Brigham & Women folks in a couple of weeks, too, so let's compare notes then.

I did speak to Dr. Greenberger at Brigham & Women's today as I had a massive flare last night - tingling mouth that then morphed into massive tongue swelling, flushing, and diarrhea which continued through the night). Dr. Greenberger suggested taking Claritin redi-tabs instead of the Benadryl b/c it is not as sedating. I was  not able to pin him down on how much Benadryl I can take if I find it more effective and don't mind the sedation (at this point, i can deal with sedation - what i can't deal with is the other stuff!) so for now i will try to minimize usage and see if the Claritin works. He also suggested I add low dose aspiring daily (start at 81 mg / day in the a.m.) which I began this morning. I believe if I'm still having issues in a couple of weeks, he'll consider one or more of the following: 1) additional low-dose aspirin daily 2) doxepin 3) atarax or another histamine blocker to replace or add to my current regimen......

Hope that helps!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #12 - 01/30/11 at 14:51:43

My stomach problems start like yours, over time.  When I notice the first symptoms, if I pay attention and get strictly back on the low histamine diet, I can sometimes head off a major episode.

Tuna is the fish that is highest in histamine of all fish.  Tomatoes are among the top histamine-containing fruits/vegetables.  But, stress may be the biggest trigger, and those foods caused the already full cup to overflow.

Definitely up the meds, too, to get through this.  I would recommend adding Benadryl if you can take it.  It's the one recommended for histamine poisoning from fish, just in case that's what's happened.

Hope you feel better soon!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print