Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Moles or freckles? (Read 10784 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Re: Moles or freckles?
Reply #15 - 02/02/11 at 06:05:12

Yes, I will have them do that as well. But I did have a CBC in May of 2010. Came back normal.
Melissa

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - 02/02/11 at 15:42:05

Lisa do you have any links to articles talking about the aneamia connection?  This has been one of the consistent features of my life, and also a tendency for my son too.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #17 - 02/02/11 at 17:27:06

Ruth,

I believe that this is pretty much an "understood" by the doctors mainly because the mast cell is a white blood cell and when it is triggered it calls other white blood cells into action.  And since with the neoplastic form of mastocytosis it causes an invasion of the bone marrow and pancreas and liver and other tissues and this ends up diminishing the ability to form red blood cells.  

I have done a bone marrow biopsy and in my marrow they found that I was iron poor.  This means that my stores of iron are low - I am essentially anemic.  However, my doctors told me that I'm not showing anemia because my periferal blood shows good iron levels.  This is because my other organs are doing their job properly - it's my bone marrow which is being attacked.  

I don't have any research on this, however Heather is our blood related expert and I think that she's probably got information on this if anyone of us has!    But you can also try googling anemia and mastocytosis and see what you come up with!  This is what I'd do!  It works pretty well!

Sorry!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #18 - 02/03/11 at 00:55:29

The bone marrow is where all of our blood cells are produced.  So... any kind of disturbance can throw off parts of your CBC.  Maybe you're not making enough blood cells (of one or more types)... maybe you're making too many.  The jak2 mutation, for example, is sometimes found in people with SM, but also in people with other kinds of bone marrow disorders... leukemia, multiple myeloma, essential thrombocythemia, polycythemia vera, etc...  Here's an example from the New England Journal of Medicine:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa065202#t=article

Just because you have anemia does NOT mean you have cancer, SM, or some other kind of bone marrow disturbance going on.  Keep an eye on it... don't get stressed about it Smiley  There's really no such thing as 100% normal.  Most quirks don't kill people.  I found out last year, for example, that I don't make enough natural killer cells.  What can I do about it?  Nothing!  What effect does it have?  Not really sure!  I've read that it's a common finding in people with autoimmune disorders (which I have), but... that's about it.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #19 - 02/03/11 at 05:07:01

Well the Dermatologist was really nice! I don't remember who it was that told me to maybe check into seeing a female doctor, but THANK YOU! It really made a difference to me. I didn't have to deal with arrogance, or being cut off while I was speaking. She made eye contact the whole and looked at all my spots.She agreed with me that all my symptoms where most likely related, she ordered the CBC and serum tryptase. I didn't even have to ask. She gave me a print out of a list of things that are mast cell triggers, and wanted to switch my meds up a little bit. She wants me to try Zyzal but from what I remember of zyzal it's kind of spendy and isn't it pretty much the same as zyrtec? I go back to her in a month and then she said we will see how I'm going and then she possibly wants to add cromolyn sodium. So we will see.
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #20 - 02/03/11 at 07:47:41

That's wonderful news, Melissa!!  I'm so glad you found a doctor that you can work with.  It really pays to be persistent until you find the right one.

Yay!!!!!  Smiley

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #21 - 02/03/11 at 08:04:42

Yahooo for Melissaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley

Atta girl!!   If I remember, there were several of us!  There was a time I was boycotting the men left and right and finally, now that I've got a diagnosis, they don't dare argue with me anymore so I can return to working with the men as well.  But I still prefer the women for I learned that too many of the men are arrogant.   A defect with men is their arrogance, and that with women is that we take everything too personal.  The down side of each sex.  But there are times when you want that arrogance on your side and your want that quality of taking things personal as well.  In their right places, they are good qualities too.  

This is really good, Melissa for it sounds like she knows enough about masto and UP to accept it.  The fact that she's upped your meds means she's knowing enough and to ask for a tryptase!  That's really a good sign.

Now, what you are needing is to give her information as to the existence of the non-clonal MCAD.  If you can open her mind up to these forms of masto, then you've got a keeper of a doctor there.  My main doctor is my dermatologist, who has specialized in masto, and my angiologist, who is a surgeon.  Both of these women are who keep me safe.  My dermatologist lives far and I work with her through emails.  My angiologist is who takes care of me at home and I run to her with most of my problems.  She gives the most support to my dermo!   So, you can indeed work with doctors who don't really know the disease as long as they are interested enough to try to do a bit of study and they are open to helping you.  

Good for you,!!!

My advice, Melissa, working with doctors is a 2 way street.  If you are going to win her trust, you need to follow her advice.  So, even though the medication may be more expensive, follow her advice for this month.  Do what she asks of you and cooperate and if you start having trouble, give her some phone calls to let her know how things are going.  This way she will see that you trust her and she will not feel that you are being a difficult patient who is convinced that they know more than the doctor!  This way your doctor/patient relationship will mature and grow.  

We patients do know what our doctors do with us and some of us do have the privilege of working with authorities, but we also still have to work with our local doctors and those doctors are easily intimidated and, as my masto doctor said, they have tender egos.  It's easy to crush that ego of theirs when you've got more information and I've worked with my doctor well - we have an excellent workign relationship and she's not so easily crushed by my insistance anymore and I'm not afraid to let her experiment with me either.   She is after all who is my doctor and she knows my reactions and how I deal with things and if she needs to do some adjusting of my meds, then I let her knowing that she's trying to do her best for me.  I've learned not to feel so insecure even though it may cause me some reacting.  She did this recently with me because we needed to find what was causing some shock.  She had me go off of the h1 blocker and that was torture.  Then we switched to the h2 blocker and that wasn't quite the torture it was without the H1 blocker.  Now she has me off my hypertension meds.  She reduced my h2 blocker because the mixture of the two seemed to be doing a beta blocker situation with me slowing my heart rate down and thus putting me into shock.  Yet, the hypertension meds are also doing the same, apparently lowering my pressure too much too!  

So, all of this toying around with my meds hasn't been easy or pleasant but she's got to try some things and if I don't cooperate then she'll give up!  

So, cooperate with your doctor - let her see what she can do.  She's working with you and listening to you and she'll take you as far as she can!   If you don't do well with her treatment, then give a yelp!  She'll hear you!!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #22 - 02/03/11 at 09:12:41

Lisa- I agree with you, I will follow her advise even though I want to stay on my zyrtec. I will give the xyzal a try. I don't know who it is but someone was saying how singular worked for their skin even though they didn't have asthma. Was that you? I'm really curious about that med. She also mentioned switching out the hydroxyzine for doxepin. But she wants to do a little at a time. I've taken both, not sure which one is better. The allergist I saw said hydroxyzine is better and the derm says doxepin is better. Huh, not sure. I'm wondering how to approach her about the existence of MCAD, I want to give her creditable info. Any recommendations?
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #23 - 02/03/11 at 09:51:08

Yes!  Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you that article about MCAS written by Drs. Akin, Valent, and Metcalfe.  Although the focus is on defining MCAS (a diagnosis you can only get by ruling out everything else), it briefly explains all the different types of primary and secondary mast cell activation disorders.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Florida Girl wCM
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #24 - 08/21/11 at 16:03:38

I just read through this post because I was curious about masto and anemia. But I found it interesting to hear the discussion about the hyperpigmentation. I'm 34 and lately I've been getting acne on my chin, I've never had an issue before. I've tried a few different things and cannot get it to clear up.  Once I do get a pimple to clear up, I'm left with a red spot that takes months to finally fade away. I wondered why this was happening but it sounds like it's just a side effect of the masto??

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #25 - 08/24/11 at 13:48:19

When I get acne, it leaves a dark spot for a year or longer.
Melissa

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print