Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print
My daughter's story (Read 92248 times)
Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: My daughter's story
Reply #240 - 07/20/11 at 01:51:12

Authors and Disclosures
Glenn T. Furuta

Digestive Health Institute, Section of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Gastrointestinal Eosinophilic Diseases Program, The Children's Hospital, National Jewish Health, Mucosal Inflammation Program, Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado, USA

Correspondence to
Glenn T. Furuta, 13123 East 16th Ave., B290 Aurora, CO 80045, USA Tel: +1 727 777 7457; fax: +1 720 777 7277; e-mail: Furuta.Glenn@tchden.org

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

NZNancy
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #241 - 07/20/11 at 12:35:56

Great, Lisa, thanks. So University of Colorado is a good resource for eosinophilis esophagitis! I hadn't known that.

Nancy

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #242 - 07/22/11 at 22:15:05

Needing some input....

Ok... so Brie tested negative for Mastocytosis and Monoclonal MCAS which is wonderful news in itself.  We are left with a a diagnosis of MCAS.

But I have some unanswered questions that I can't make heads or tails of.  I just received some of her records from Boston and I do not know what the results mean....... or even if they are significant at all.

The bone marrow biopsy results state "The bone marrow was slightly hypocellular for age with rare mast cells by stains / immunohistochemistry, not consistent with systemic mastocytosis.  PCR from bone marrow aspirate and peripheral blood were negative for the Kit Asp816Val mutation. A small number of mast cells were identified in the bone marrow aspirate, a subset which showed expression of CD25, without CD2 co-expression."

From what I can understand from personal research is CD25 can be related to autoimmune, leukemia / lymphoma, or mastocytosis - but apparently there wasn't enough of this for any diagnosis or concern (but should this be monitored for an increase down the road) Should it be present at all??? And what does it mean when they say "without CD2 co-expression"??

Thanks for any advice, insight or help you can offer me here.

Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #243 - 07/23/11 at 03:57:03

Hi Kim!

My first bit of advice, please send this report to Dr. Castells and ask her exactly what this is saying.  Keep sending emails back and forth questioning about all of this until you have resolved your doubts.  This is the beauty of having gone to Boston - you have expert advice and understanding.

Now that having been said, my bone marrow was also found to be hypocellular.  Why?  I've not found an answer yet.  We also found scarce Mast cells but I've not had the detailed investigation that Brie had.  The few MCs we found were CD25 negative.   CD25 positive is diagnostic for mastocytosis, or let me say this - supposedly only in mastocytosis will the mast cell produce a positive marker for CD25.  But to call it "mastocytosis" may not be possible for there's not enough to be "diagnostic" for that diagnosis, which means that it's a finding, but not enough for the diagnosis.

I've seen other masto patients who were found with spindle shaped mast cells within their marrow, but because they didn't have enough, the lab finding didn't "diagnose" it as mastocytosis!  It only reported the finding, but gave no conclusions.  

So, I think that for this reason your lab report gave the report of the finding, but could not give any conclusions as to what it was.  

This is why you should speak with Dr. Castells until you can gain full understanding of what this is truly saying here.  Ask her for a phone consult, Kim, and get her understanding of what exactly is being said here.   It's important that your doctors and you have no doubts!

One thing that is the real blessing here - you no longer need to search any more!! YOU'VE FOUND YOUR ANSWERS!!   You've got a diagnosis and you and your doctors can put to rest any more doubts as to what is wrong with Brie!!   WHAT A BLESSING! Smiley

I hope this helps!

Lisa

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #244 - 07/23/11 at 07:39:31

Lisa;

Your response was helpful as you said perfectly exactly what my thoughts were.  I just wasn't sure if how I interpreted it was accurate and hearing my thoughts in your words tells me what I need as you have always been a tremendous and accurate source of medical information for me.

Dr. Castell's asked me to set up a phone consult for 3-4 weeks after our trip to Boston but when I called to set this up they said she had left the country and won't be back until August 23rd so I have a long wait and anxiously wanted some input prior to that time so I decided to see what all of you thought.

Thank You!  Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #245 - 07/23/11 at 12:07:57

Understood, Kim!!

Look, you've got experience with these doctors now.  If there was something exceedingly disturbing there, THEY'D LET YOU KNOW!!   Just as they did with Brie's cortisol testing, right?   So, be at peace.  If it were something really bad, THEY'D BE HOPPING ON THE PHONE TO YOU TO GET BACK THERE!!!

BE AT PEACE!!!   It must not be really bad.  

Hugs!!

Lisa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #246 - 09/03/11 at 05:00:14

Hey Kim!!!

Things are nice and quiet with you!!!   How nice!!!  It must mean that Brie is doing better!!

How's she doing and HOW ARE YOU???
Kiss

LISA

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #247 - 09/03/11 at 11:11:46

Wow Lisa it's been a long times since I have even been on the forum. You must have deep down known that Brie was in trouble when you were thinking about her and typed me your latest message as I wasn't home 10 minutes from taking Brie to Acute Care when I saw your message!  Must be that "connection" we have Smiley

I wish "quiet" meant things were going well.  But unfortunately that is not the case.  I have been out of town most of the summer due to family emergencies. Seven extended trips so far!  My Mom is having significant heart issues. Have a great niece that has been hospitalized since birth 5 months ago.  Have a sister fighting for her life these last 5 months..... the Dr's can't believe either of them are still with us.  They are fighters!!!!

Also spent 2 weeks in Boston with Brie.  Wonderful place and wonderful Dr.'s and Childrens Hospital!!!!  Can't say enough about how great they all were.  Very thorough and caring.  We are left with MCAD.... thank God it is not Mastocytosis as they said she would have to go on Chemo if that was the case.  Brie did very well with the "gallons" of blood draws, the bone marrow biopsy and the upper and lower scopes, etc.  She is also a fighter!  

Brie also is not producing Cortisol and has Addrenal Insufficiency.... which is almost scarier to me then the MCAD at this point.  We now carry an epi pen and Solu Cortif emergency injections at all times.  They do not know the cause of her Addrenal Insufficiency but are thinking that it may be a result of the Entocort / steroid she was on for almost 1 1/2 years.  This sounds possible but one red flag here is that Brie was hospitalized for severe metabolic acidosis in Oct. 2009... and this is now thought to have been an Addrenal Crisis now that we know much more than we did then.... and this occurred 5 months BEFORE being put on the Entocort.  She's been off the Entocort for a month now and unfortunately all of her symptoms that had been quite stable for almost 4 months have progressed again.  She is still on all of the H1 & H2 blockers and the Gastrocrom and her local Dr.'s are working with Dr. Castell's to increase her dose of Gastrcrom to see if this will help since we lost ground not having the Entocort on board.

She went into Addrenal Crisis this morning and I rushed her to the Acute Care.  She received her 1st emergency cortisol shot.... but unfortunately probably not the last.  She has an ear infection (but no pain or anything so we weren't aware of it) and this is what set off the Addrenal Crisis.  Pretty scary how quickly she gets sick and how fast it progresses.  The shot turned her around in about 2 hours time and she was like a new kid!

I hope you are doing well and having a good school year!

Hugs,  Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #248 - 09/05/11 at 07:22:50

Well, Iīm REALLY sorry to hear how things are going, Kim!!  I was hoping that no news was good news!!!   I canīt imagine the emotional stress itīs causing you and your family.  Itīs hard enough having your sister in trouble but to have your mother as well and a niece on top of it!! YIKES!!

Listen, Kim, as to your Mom and sister, I donīt know how close Brie is to your sister, but I have NO DOUBTS that sheīs close to your Mom.  Kim, if you are feeling stressed, just imagine that going on in Brie and multiply it by 100 and this is what you will get if and when your mom passes away.  Iīm not saying anything about that happening any time soon and I certainly hope it doesnīt, but if it should youīve got to know ahead of time and PREPARE for what can happen.  

Kim, our emotions can create real havoc within us. I know youīve seen Brie go through temper tantrums, but crying can create problems too!  I was amazed when I heard some bad news a little while ago and it got me doing some heavy crying and low and behold I found myself right on the edge of anaphyalxis!!  I hadnīt realized that crying and the emotions that would provoke it could push us over the edge, but it taught me that itīs serious business.  

If your Mom is having serious problems and is in serious danger, Kim, then, you need to prepare for the worst so that when Brie gets the news, youīve got some back up meds to help deal with the triggering itīs going to cause.  Ask your doctor for some kind of sedative which will not knock her out, but only take the edge off of her emotions, especially in the beginning right after she gets hit with the news.  You already will have your hands plenty full dealing with your own feelings and having your other two kids to also have to consider the very last thing you need is to be rushing Brie to the hospital on top of it all!!    So, consider my advice here, for her sake as well as your own, to have some pediatric strength meds just in case.  Iīm praying you wonīt need them for some time way distant in the future, but you should have something to help keep her calm in case this happens.  Itīs just preventative medicine against the anaphylaxis it can cuase her.  

Iīm sorry to hear about the adrenal crisis!  This is another reason why you need to be prepared if your Mom should pass, for all of this is going to go haywire with Brieīs emotional response.  You should also let your doctor know of what is happening so that heīs also aware of how to respond.

Yes, Kim, we do and can get sick really quickly!!  This is part of what leaves us patients on edge, for we can be perfectly fine one moment and the next our world turns upside down!  Itīs hard to feel secure this way!!!   But thankfully, youīve gained so much understanding and your very hard work has finally payed off!!   YOUīVE GOT ANSWERS and this is PERFECT!!!

So, Iīm sorry things are not well with you all.  Again, Iīll keep you in my prayers and hope that everything improves quickly!!!

Hugs to you!!!!

Lisa

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #249 - 09/19/11 at 04:35:22

Brieann woke up yesterday with her now 9th episode of the Neutrophilc Eccrine Hidradenitis on her fingers and palms.... Geez I wish the Dr.'s could tell me how this is related!!!

Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #250 - 09/19/11 at 05:45:45

Have you asked Dr. Castells about this?   I'll bet you anything it's connected for the little bit I just read does say that it's been associated with other neoplastic diseases.  If you will note, they state that it's mainly been associated with AML.  Well, the aggressive form of masto, which is very, very rare, is indeed found with myeloproliferative leukemia and since the mast cell is a cell which comes from the myeloproliferative chain of blood cells, I'll bet that there is a specific genetic defect which reveals this and is connected to it, Kim.  Yet, because they've not pinpointed the genetic defects for either disease yet....you go with only having guesses to go upon!  So, I'll bet you've got a piece to the bigger puzzle in Brie's case, YES!

Neutrophilic eccrine hidradenitis (NEH) was initially described in acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) patients undergoing chemotherapy.[1] Neutrophilic eccrine hidradenitis has since been reported in persons with various neoplastic and nonneoplastic conditions and in otherwise healthy individuals; however, most documented cases have continued to be observed in the setting of AML, usually in association with chemotherapy;

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1070937-overview

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #251 - 10/03/11 at 16:46:08

Lisa;  sorry I have been absent once again from this forum.  I truly can't believe how much God has handed me this last few years... manily the last year I find I don't even have time to breath anymore between family crisis's.  Anyway thanks for your response.  It's been about 1 1/2 years since I have done any MAJOR research into NEH and yes, I found the same information you did.  That is what I brought up to her Dr.'s and they and Mayo both did what they could to check for some form of AML and so far Brie is not showing any signs in that direction.  But we all do wonder what her future holds.  The "genetic" aspect got me thinking though.  Even if they can't find any sign of AML maybe we do need to look into the genes a little more.  Boston did quite a bit of genetic testing and again NOTHING.  We still have not seen the Genetisist as her 1st appointment I had to cancel when Boston called us there a week earlier than expected.  We then had to wait another 3 months and then he needed to cancel for some reason. Since he only comes to our city every 3 months we are not scheduled until December.  Hopefully by the time that appoinment comes along I will remember to mention this point to hime Wink

Brie is stabilizing some since we increased her Gastrocrom.   Hopefully this porgress will continue.  We still have some increases we can make in the Gastrocrom and I foresee this will probably be needed but right now she is maintaining fairly well.  We see the Endocrenologist next month and will hopefully know a little more about where Brie is at with the thought of growth hormones and the Cortisone levels.

I will update more when I can.  Thanks for always thinking of us and being so concerned and helpful.  I hope you and yoru family are all doing well.

Kim

IP Logged

still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #252 - 10/04/11 at 05:34:25

Hi Kim,
So good to see you on the forum.  I have been thinking about you and Brie.  Rylee knows that Brie and Jarrod (Judy's son who is 12 yrs. old) all share similar issues.  I received a message from Judy the other day and she said to tell Rylee that Jarrod said hello.  That made Rylee smile.  Please let Brie know that although Rylee has not met her, that she speaks of her and wonders how she is doing.  
Is Brie currently able to attend school?  Rylee went to school last Monday (9/25) but then was so sick she could not attend the rest of the week.  However, she was able to go yesterday and so far today she is still at school.  She was sooo excited when she woke up this morning that she was feeling so good.  I am hopeful that all the H1, H2 blockers, Gastrocrom, and Prednisone are beginning to stabilize her condition.  Maybe I am speaking too soon but 2 days in a row of feeling good is more than we have experienced the last 6 months.  
I know that I have prayer warriors on this forum and that certainly makes a difference.  I am so sorry to hear you are going through so much with family tragedies.  Know that you are being prayed for and thought of!!  Give Brie a big hug from us and stay in touch as you can.  Take care......Angie

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #253 - 10/04/11 at 13:24:59

Hi Kim,

I'm really, really sorry for all of the trials that are happening within your family!!  I pray that God will give you the strength to somehow get through it all!!  I'm praying for you!!

Something that I've heard all my life, but didn't really believe it until I went through these trials of my own.   God won't give you too much for you to bear.  

Our lives are so very comfortable that we don't have a whole lot within them that really prepare us for when REALLY hard times come.  We've got little to build up strength of character and this is one reason why we feel so very overcome when tragedy hits us.  Yet, what I've learned is that often the strength to deal with these things really isn't from our own strength, but that God somehow gives it to us.  Please don't think I'm preaching or trying to give you my religious beliefs.  I really hate this "political correctness"  for this because we no longer feel free to encourage one another using a religious sense, when in truth the great majority of us do have some kind of religious belief and it's when we are up against a wall that this is when we need to have a belief that someone higher up than us is indeed caring for us and our pain and our trials.

So, Kim, with that in mind, I want to encourage you that when those trials are indeed intense and you feel as though you're alone, that in truth you aren't and that what we were taught as kids, that God will not give you too much for you to handle and that when those times are hardest, that you are not alone, that He is there for you, it's true!

I hope this encourages you!!!

As to proof of what I say, just look at Brie and her improvement and the tremendous doctors that you've gained on your side and all of the answers you've gotten in this past year.  If that's not proof, I honestly don't know what is!

Hugs and kisses and many prayers!!!

Lisa

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #254 - 01/04/12 at 19:45:37

It has been soooo long since I have been on this site... not by choice.  Just other events going on in life.  I really miss reading all of the new posts from all of you.  Just wanted to say that Brie is doing "ok" at this time.  She continues to have spurts of doing well.... and then other times where she still struggles.  She has again had daily symptoms for the last month... but still much better then it used to be.  She continues to grow as a sweet individual each and every day. Her strength amazes me!!!! And she knows so much about her disease for her age that I am always impressed.  And I also know that this comes only with thanks to all of you!  I hope you all had wonderful Holidays and wish only the best for each of you in the New Year!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print