Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print
My daughter's story (Read 91889 times)
ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: My daughter's story
Reply #255 - 01/05/12 at 21:59:50

Hi Kim, nice to 'see' you back here! Glad to hear Brie is doing OK, OK is good, when she has been through so much not OK. Praying for more of the same, or better. I hope you are also doing ok, with all that life has thrown at you this year. What a blessing kids can be, when we see their strength, resilience,  and sweetness in spite of all they are going through. Best wishes for health and stability, and time to enjoy the sweetness of your children.

Ruth

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #256 - 01/30/12 at 14:42:07

Hello everyone.  Just thought I'd give a quick update on Brie.  She has continued to be symptomatic on a daily basis for about 7 - 8 weeks now.  We have her on max dose of all of her meds.... even the Gastrocrom.  She currently is on 2 ampules 4 times a day and this is as high as Dr. Castell's will go.  Her local Dr.'s continue to correspond with Dr. Castell's for direction and guidance and that has been such a Blessing! that we can recieve continued and ongoing care here at home thanks to her 3 GREAT doctors here as well as Dr. Castell's.  

Even though she is again symptomatic on a daily basis I still count our Blessings as her symptoms... although sometimes quite severe are nothing like they used to be.  They are much less frequent and much less severe than they used to be.  For the last 7 - 8 weeks she has to take Benadryl for break through symptoms that her other meds are not controling at least once or twice a day.  This in return can make her sooo tired.  I would give anything for the time last fall when she could go a day or 2 or 3 without any symptoms at all.  I just know this is taking a toll on her.  

We are still dealing with the Adrenal Gland Insufficiency and at times not sure if the symptoms are coming from that or the MCAS.  She has not required an emergency Solu-Cortif injection for 2 months now so that is good... but makes me think we are dealing with more of the Mast Cell issues again.  

We had to wait for 6 months of being off all Steroids in order to retest her Adrenal Glands.  That time will be up in February.  They consulted with Dr. Castell's about redoing this test as Dr. Castell's Protocol for any of these types of tests requires being pretreated with a medication regime which includes Prednisone.... but Prednisone may skew the test results.... So it looks like Brie will once again be admitted to ICU to have this test done.  She will be pre-medicated with Dr. Castell's Protocol but without the Prednisone.  I can tell that this scares the bajeebers out of her Dr.'s (and me too actually).  The initial test that the did last Spring involved giving Brie 1mcg of a medication and she reacted (mildly for the most part) for 2 days.  This 2nd test will involve giving her 250mcg of the medication to stimulate the Adrenals!  So everyone is a little nervous but Dr. Castell's has given the go ahead as it is so vital to see if her Adrenal's are functioning any better or what is really going on and this is the only way to do it.  

We have also been waiting to do the MRI of the Adrenal Glands and Small Bowels as we wanted to do everything with ONE hospitalization. But the MRI's will require the use of dyes and anesthesia.... both of which we know she reacts to. So... we can not do those at the same time and will have to do another hospitalization later on as nobody will go near her with dyes and anesthesia without the steroids - they are all catching on!   Grin

I will try to post the outcomes of her tests once we are able to get them done.  We think of all of you often and Brie says "Hi" to all of you.  She misses the stories and responses I used to read to her when I had more time to get on here.  Hopefully we will be able to get back to that soon.
                                                                 Hugs,  Kim

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #257 - 01/30/12 at 19:19:19

Kim

I never "met" you before but feel for what your young Brie has gone through, I can't imagine a child experiencing this,

I'm falling into the adrenal insufficency (maybe from steroids for anaphylaxis) and ?MCAS category so can sympathize about the confounding situation.

the only thing I noticed and I'm sure you've gone over it, but I noticed she's also on an inhaled steroid.....in my case the inhaled steroid was causing a lot of adrenal suppression and i had to wean off very slowly decreasing by one puff every few weeks, but it seems to be improving my situation. I wasn't on entocort though I was on prednisone and am not on hydrocoritsone..

I REALLY hope they sort things out for Brie. She is so lucky to have a Mom like you to fight for her

Cool

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #258 - 01/31/12 at 02:29:18

Thank you for you reply.  You are the 1st I've had contact with that is dealing with MCAS and Adrenal Issues.  Brie was taken off the Steroid Inhaler as well as the Entocort at the same time.... about 6 months ago.  So she has not had any steroids in that time.  The question with Brie is whether or not the Entocort shut down her Adrenals... which as you know can happen.  But the biggest concern here is that she had a severe episode of Metabolic Acidosis 5 months before starting on any steroid.  They were never able to find a cause for this and we did not know about her Adrenal Insufficiency at that time.... so red flags are raised as to whether or not her Adrenal issues were present long before introducing her to steroids.  She also had a strange episode that required hospitalization at age 3 1/2 that we are now thinking may have fallen under the same circumstances.  This is one reason why I have been anxiously awaiting these tests and their results.  It would be "convenient" for Brie to have the Entocort be the culprit and things turn around for her .... but her history tells us this may not be the case.  I've been able to obtain little to no literature about the 2 diseases occurring together or being related (other than due to the steroids) so this would be just one more "rarity" in her case.

Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #259 - 01/31/12 at 07:35:41

Hey Kim, we know about rarities with masto, don´t we? !! Roll Eyes

Yet, what's really so important here is that even though Brie's still got troubles, hers and your circumstances are so much better than what they used to be!!   All your hard work has really paid off and I'm so very proud of you for being so persistant in pushing for those answers!!!  

You know, Kim, perhaps if you look at Brie's activity from a different viewpoint it may help you and her as well in having more patience with her situation.   I understand your discouragement in wishing her to be a 100% normal, healthy child and I know that she gets discouraged too for her masto really gives her a terrible beating.   But I've been noticing my own situation and considering those of some of the others of us who also take a beating.   I can't help but begin to see that there are phases of activity we get into.   I'm not like Deborah or Heather or some others who can find a reprieve and pretty much remain stable.  I have phases.   Some where I'm taking more of a beating than others.  Perhaps I can say that I go through lull's of activity instead and that it's in these lulls that life is more like it used to be where I get an entire day of feeling normal.   I've yet to have two days together where there isn't something or other acting up, but at least I'm not feeling so awful as I used to!!   I have had an improvement and with masto, any improvement is a victory!

If you can try to keep this perspective, of bearing out the phases of more activity, focusing more on the certainty of a lull coming up to give  you a break, it may help the phases of more activity seem a bit less trying and help to enjoy more the lulls.  Knowing that these are phases, they are temporary, that they will improve is what has helped me deal with so many unpleasant things in my life.   It's been crucial in dealing with pain, for pain is often a very psychological process in that the more you tense up and get anxious with pain, the more intense you feel it.   By emotionally and mentally being more pateint, waiting it out, bearing with it, trying not to focus on it, you can get through it better.   This was never better shown to me than following my open heart surgery for again, all I had to dull the intense pain was an NSAID no stronger than Ibuprophen and what really got me through it was my attitude, that of repeating to myself - this will be over soon, in a moment the worst will be past and I can breath free for a bit longer.

By working with my pain and difficult circumstances as nothing more than a phase, by only allowing for it to be a moment and work with it during that moment, once the moment passed, I was free and able to relax.  

So, helping Brie to see that this is temporary, a phase, that in a bit she'll be in a lull from the reacting and that when that lull comes she can relax and take more advantage of life, this will help her find resources within herself to deal with these things.    It will also give you the break from having to deal with a soon to be pre-teen who is tired of taking a beating all the time.  If you can teach her now how to find these resources within herself, it will give her the tools to overcome many circumstances beyond just her masto.  

I hope this helps a bit, Kim!!

Lisa

PS - it is SOOOOOOOOO GOOD to hear from you.   I always have loved the tone of what you write and can't help think of how blessed Brie is to have you for her mom!!! Kiss

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #260 - 01/31/12 at 08:39:14

Kim

Ohh, I feel for you in this situation it is so muddled. They are also wondering if I have pre-existing addison's/AI, but as you know they can't test me while I'm tapering, or sure if they ever can because, like your daughter needed it requires ICU etc.

The episode of metabolic acidosis is definitely unusual.

I'm not sure what symptoms Brie gets when she's low on cortisol and I agree they can greatly overlap the mast cell symptoms. For me they are more inability to get off the couch, low BP, nausea. What I have decided to do, and you are way ahead of this, is an extremely slow taper off steroids and see if I get these symptoms, if I do, taper even more slowly.

Now that I am getting to a lower dose I will also check morning cortisol/acth levels monthly to see if there is an improvement trend. Once off I've also looked into having a cortisol day curve drawn, not sure if Brie's had this, but it's supposed to be more reliable than the AM cortisol alone.  Also, if I ever get sick I will try to get it rechecked to see if my cortisol levels are elevating appropriately.I am very apprehensive of the stimulation test but am glad Brie seemed to manage it.

It was very difficult to find good endocrinology management, sounds like you have. I had to travel to it and don't have any locally. They told me after being off steroids it might take 1-2 years to recover normal HPAA function; though, I know some never do.. .

Also, I haven't found any specific articles about the two, but if I do I will l let you know. But in the audio files of the recent Mastocytosis conference in Boston the role of cortisol in controlling mast cell disease was discussed by the docs in the breakout session about MCAS (I think they are on the TMS website and youtube) if you're interested

I really hope it all sorts out with Brie.

I have e-countered at least three others in a similar mast cell/adrenal predicament, but all adults not children, sorry!

Ana

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #261 - 04/08/12 at 18:20:33

Wow!!! Can't believe it's been a couple months since I have posted on Brieann's status...  that's a good thing I guess Smiley  Her Mast Cell disease is more stable than it has been in several years!  I think they have finally found the best med regime for her and that for the most part keeps things to a minimum.  She still has symptoms.... but mostly GI related.  Her skin outbreaks and very minimal at this point and the same with the neurological, cardiac, etc.  She has had a couple more episodes of the NEH....  still have no idea how this all ties into it if it does at all.  Her Adrenal Insufficiency still bares it's ugly head now and then.... but this has improved greatly also.  She has been off ALL steroids... even the emergency Solu-Cortef shots since last October.  She has had one significant episode of illness in that time and did not require the emergency injection.  I really hoped that meant her Adrenal Glands were up and functioning..... but she was admitted to ICU last week for a repeat test of the Adrenals.  She was given the 250mcg (vs. the 1mcg) and surprisingly she did quite well.  She reacted for 2 days but nothing too scary... just miserable for her
Sad   For this test they "don't pay attention to the baseline Cortisol level" and only consider the importance of doubling her level at 60 minutes."  This is a definite concern of mine as her baseline was still only 2.6 (way to low).... and she was 18 in 30 minutes and 23 in 60 minutes.  Sooooo...... not only did she double but she went 8 fold!!!!  This, from any literature I read means her Adrenals CAN function and went hog wild with the cortisol injection..... which may mean the parathyroid just isn't stimulating to produce the cortisone... which would be secondary versus primary Adrenal Insufficiency.  During her initial test a year ago she only got up to a 9 at her 60 minute level.... so that reflected Primary Adrenal Insufficiency.  So I am really confused.....    When I mentioned all of this to her Dr. she seemed a little perturbed that I ask so many questions or that I know more than they think I should... and she then said that she is not out of the woods and we will continue to follow her and may need a 3rd test down the road.  Some Dr.'s are AWESOME (as she is) but don't like it when the parent or patient know a little something and question it.  This can be really frustrating for me.  So now that she is doing fairly well at this point I am confused as to whether or not I should be concerned for the possibility of Primary or Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency and still how this may or may not be related to MCAD.   I guess we wait it out like we have been doing for the last few years and see what happens.  But if any of you can relate to this I would love any input into this.     Thanks a Bunch,   Kim

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #262 - 04/08/12 at 18:30:24

Kim that is fantastic news! I am so glad there is progress.

I have really delved into the primary vs secondary AI because of my situation on steroids. I am so glad she is OFF steroids!  You are correct that a normal response ensures integrity of the adrenals, but the pituitary gland or hypothalamus may be less capable of responding; however if that has been going on for a long time it also often results in an abnormal adrenal response. It's important for her to get a correlative ACTH measurement to her cortisol draws as well as to check her other pituitary functions.

There are other more risky tests like an insulin tolerance test to look for secondary AI, but they can be dangerous and are variably supported. In my opinion, the KEY is how she feels and how her body does in times of stress. If it's unclear and she needs surgery or has major trauma then it is likely safest to stress dose her, but the thing is, if she's like me, she'll need them anyway during those times to prevent reactions!

Hope I'm making some sense

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #263 - 04/09/12 at 01:40:30

This really is good news, Kim!!   I´m rejoicing with you!!!!!!    YEAH BRIE!!!!!

Tell me, Kim, has she begun GROWING more now that she´s settled down a bit, or is she still on the small size?

Another thing - I don´t see why the need for steroids at all, Kim.  I know that the steroids help to settle down the allergic reacting that gets stirred up with the anaphylaxis and crises that we go through, however, I´ve found that steroids are not really so essencial.   The reason why I say this is because I RARELY will have them, even with my worst events.  I have only recently used steroids following huge reactions to perfume, but that was because we refused to go to the hospital!!   I´m still not able to run to the hospital with big events because I´ve got to get the paperwork finalized and this has been complicated because my doctor who must sign it all is in Rio and I don´t get to go there often.   She´s got to put her stamp on it all and without it my local doctor won´t put hers.  So without that, it makes little sense to go to the ER.   But these big reactions need more powerful meds to pull me out of the reacting which means steroids.  

But, for example, following my open heart surgery, which was a huge surgery, they didn´t put me on steroids to help with the reacting afterwards, for that kind of situations creates prolonged allergic reacting for a while afterwards.   We had to combat it with IV antihistamines and IV infusion of epinephrine while I was in hospital and then higher doses of oral antihistamines once I was home.

This is how my doctors have always dealt with this and I personally think that in the US and Canada the doctors use this much more than necessary.   I don´t believe that either Dr. Escribano or Dr. Castells uses the steroids all that much, but then I´m not certain.    I do know that the use of the steroids are on the REMA protocols as they are also on Dr. Castell´s pre-medication protocols, however, they never mention a continuation of use of them.   And when Dr. Castells adjusted my meds for my surgery, there were no instructions for using steroids afterwards.

So, what do my doctors do?

Well, what we´ve finally discovered to do with me is when I have a crisis event and need the ER, or I´m hospitlized for a procedure, we have found that IN MY CASE, I must be put on an IV infusion of either antihistamines or a mixture of antihistamines and epinephrine, depending on the situation.  The more acute the reacting, the more the need for epinephrine.

I would suggest that for Brie that her doctors consider doing this.   The constant infusion of medications for at least 24 hours will help her system calm down.  It also will force her to keep quiet and in bed and this forced bed rest also helps her to keep her body quiet and recuperate.  

I think, Kim, that Brie´s situation warrents just such an approach and recommend your speaking with your doctors as to this option.  

Lisa

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #264 - 04/09/12 at 16:52:43

Thank you for your posts!  And thank you for correcting me in that it was the Pituitary Gland I was referring to... not the Parathyroid... LOL.  I just reread my post and realized my error and the lateness and tiredness I was dealing with when I typed it.  Yes what you said made very much sense.  Her Endocrinologists said that is why we may need another test down the road... as if this runs long term her adrenals will run down and eventually she will have another failed test and this may be the deciding factor.  Lisa... as far as size - she is still very small.  But has made some headway in that area.  She hasn't even been reaching the "low normal" for most of her life and 6 months ago was 3.5 lines below the lowest "low normal" on the growth chart. Last week she was 1.75 lines INTO the "low normal" growth chart !!!  YIPEE!!!!  Any progress is good... right?   Brieann started steroids only a couple years ago... after metabolic acidosis, and acute respiratory distress, ect. - all without cause found.  Sooo I am not convinced that it was the steroids that caused the Adrenal Insufficiency... but yet I can't argue progress made since being off them.  She was put on Steroids for her severe GI distress and this was the 1st med that EVER helped with that.  Then when we added the Gastrocrom the combination made GREAT strides in lessening her symptoms.  Since stopping the steroids her symptoms have again progressed..... but not to the extent they used to be before starting the steroids and Gastrocrom.  We can make this work without steroids if need be.... but I would love for a time to come that she had better relief of her GI issues with just the antihistamines and Gastrocrom.  
Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #265 - 04/09/12 at 22:11:31

Kim,

One of the things I was trying to stress in my post was that steroids really don't need to be intruduced at all, at least from my own experience of dealing with reactions.  My doctors and I avoid them due to the fact that they will push up the BP and I've already had a hypertensive crisis while they were involved.  So it's something that I will use only when I have no other option.    

I ve used them recently with severe reactions to perfume, but this was only because going to the ER is still VERY complicated for me and I've no written instructions for my doctors as to how to deal with me.   It's still a matter of go to the ER and fight with the doctors to have them do what they need to and probably not get them to do it and thus go home hours later frustrated....OR  try to deal with it ourselves at home with heavy duty medication.   I know it sounds foolish and I personally hate this situaiton, but this is what we've been doing while I'm fighting to get this document prepared and signed for by my doctors, both local and distant.   My recent experience in the operating room confirmed that I'm right for the doctors can't recognize this syncope and when they hear the word syncope they automatically presume that it's SYNCOPE the vaso-vagal kind which is no big deal.    The anesthesiologist was young and had never heard of masto and she decided to completely ignore my doctors written instructions due to seeing this word syncope!  I was left 3 hours in syncope before another doctor was called in and he had to work with me to bring me to full consciousness so I could explain the situation to him and then he listened and used epinephrine on me and saw immediate improvement.  But being it was only a bolus shot, which is short lived, 15 minutes later I was back in the grips of the syncope!  It took another 5 hours of foolishness before one of my doctors was called on the scene and they gave me the infusion and THEN, FINALLY things turned around for me!!

This is what I'm trying to say is that this INFUSION form of both antihistamines and epinephrine are EFFECTIVE and there's NO NEED FOR STEROIDS for this is for a 12 - 24 hour drip and in that time period, the forced bed rest also works to settle the reacting down.   By the time Brie would return home, she would be better, more recuperated without the need to attack her adrenals.  

This form of medication is based upon an article by a Dr. Simon Brown from Australia in a report he wrote on Cardiovascular Anaphylaxis.   His report cites how some patients don't respond well to the bolus or IM use of epinephrine and he investigates this issue and his findings are that infusions are much more effective with this patient.  He also deals with this same supposition regarding antihistamines and the experience I had with my open heart surgery post-op syncope and reacting was supporting of this paper.  

So, I think that with Brie, she should never really need to have steroids introduced but instead  just be on the anti-mediator meds of leukotreine blockers (singulair) antihistamines and epinephrine and then when she gets home, keep her antihistamine levels up and taking singulair until she calms back down again.   This should deal with it all nicely.  

Lisa

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #266 - 07/30/12 at 15:34:22

My Dear Sweet Brie just celebrated her 10th Birthday!!!!!  She has been such a trooper down this long road that she has had to travel and I am so proud of her!  She has blessed our lives in so many ways and will continue to do so in the future.  

She has been fairly stable since last fall until a major mess up on my end about a month ago.  I learned the hard way to never take her improvements for granted and to never assume that she will not respond in a negative way just because she has been doing so well.

I have always been extra catious in making sure Dr. Castells regime is closely followed by her medical providers for MRI's, Surgery, and other procedures.......  but never thought twice about the Dentist.   Arrfff....... dummy me!  And my mistake was at the expense of Brie's health and I feel horrible.   I am sharing this with all of you with hopes that you do not make the same mistake with your health or the health of your loved ones.  

Brie had to have a tooth extracted and it wasn't until I walked into the Dentists office that I realized we had not followed Dr. Castells protocol for this procedure!!!  The Dr. and I discussed this and I made the final decision to go ahead with the extraction since Brie has been doing so well for several months now.  Also due to her regular daily meds being at higher doses than Dr. Castells protocol I made the assumption that she was adequetaly protected. The only med we did not have on board was the Prednisone.  Well..... needless to say things didn't go as planned.  The tooth was extracted and things went down hill from there...... for 2 solid weeks she was much more symtomatic.  And now for the last 2 weeks she will have good moments but it takes very little to set her off again and into another tail spin.  Sooooo..... for one little oversite or underestimation on my part I set her back to where she was before last fall.  I hope this helps each of you understand the importance of following the Dr.'s orders precisely..... regardless of how you feel before hand.

Hugs to all!  Kim

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #267 - 10/10/13 at 18:54:59

I am so glad to see this site is still helping so many people. It seems like forever that I have been back here. But I think of all of you often! Life  has just been so full of obstacles that I have been unable to make the time to frequent this wonderful site and Brie has remained about the same regarding medical stability for almost 2 years now.  Her medication regime, since seeing Dr. Castelle's in Boston 2 summers ago, is what changed her life around. She hasn't improved or worsened much since that time.....  But is stable and sooo much better than she's ever been.  Now that she is 11 years old and the body, etc is starting to change with hormones and puberty things are picking up just a little..... not sure what that all means. And even Dr. Castell's was unable to shed light on what would happen at this time when we saw her since Brie is such an unknown entity with being a young child with systemic mastocytosis...... and this is almost unheard of. If anybody has gone through a similar situation with a child or knows someone who has I would really appreciate communicating with you.  Thank You!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #268 - 10/18/13 at 05:55:53

My Dear Kim,

You are not alone and neither is Brie!!  Since your and my encounter here I have since found two more children who I know without a doubt to be systemic masto kids, one being one of my own sons and another child here in Brazil.   I spoke with Dr. Escribano about these children and he confirmed that yes, they do exist and yes, they are very uncommon!   What makes them the way they are?  Where do they go with their illness?  How will their lives be?  These are questions that only God knows and if you think about it, these are the very questions any parent asks regardless of whether they are sick or well.  There are some things we just must trust to God and ask for blessings and protection for these young lives.  

I am also one who believes so very strongly in RESEARCH that I about exhaust the doctor who is willing to give me 5 minutes of his/her time!!   WE MUST KEEP PUSHING FOR MORE RESEARCH for this is the key to our children´s and grandchildren´s health!!

Keep pushing for answers, Kim, for this is what you must do for your daughter´s sake!!  Be VIGILENT and teach her to be so as well!!  She´s old enough to know that she must care for herself and be responsible so that she won´t take any beatings.   I´m so pleased that she´s doing so very well and grateful to you for giving us some feedback on her wellbeing!!  This made all that hard work of pushing for answers WORTH EVERY MOMENT OF IT!!!

Thanks! and GOD BLESS YOU, BRIE AND ALL YOUR FAMILY!!

Kiss

Lisa

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #269 - 12/08/13 at 06:10:09

I've read every page of this so far. (It took 18 days of reading one page per day, and I looked forward to that one page every day.)  Please keep us updated on Brie's case and how she is progressing.   This story is very informative and compelling.   I wish the best for Brie and her loved ones.

Todd in Tenn.  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print