Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Symptoms of an attack?/flare up? (Read 22282 times)
Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Symptoms of an attack?/flare up?
Reply #30 - 01/13/11 at 03:56:48

archived from original forum  -  deborahw author

Oh gosh, guys. I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain! At least banding together here on the forum, perhaps the shared information will help find a remedy to lessen the symptoms. You never know, one of us might hit upon the lightbulb and figure out what helps. Smiley

Schatzi: I haven't had a chance to give you a proper welcome! Glad you are here and making new friends! What a great bunch of people we have here.

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #31 - 01/13/11 at 03:57:47

archived from original forum   -  schatzi author

thanks deborah,
It really has been a help reaching out to others.  I have been sick for a while but have only recently told friends and family.  I swear by water therapy and my dogs for my pain relief.  So my running joke with my hubby is that dog spit will cure me.  Lots of kisses. ( For the non dog lovers I am sure this sounds gross-sorry).
ramona, so sorry to hear of your pain.  As hard as it is to be in pain, knowing there are others suffering is somehow harder.   I was always really athletic, and I would notice that the more I worked out the less fit I became.  I would not be able to move after.  Now if I go to a movie or meeting, I have to wait until the room clears out and then stand up.  I can barely straighten up and walk.  very strange.  I believe it is the polyneuropathy doing this.  The joint, muscle and long bone pains are the worst sxs.  I also use music and imagery. you can practice relaxing breathing  while listening to music.  then you practice letting your thoughts go to a better place. could be a special moment or a vacation place you love.  There is so much out there about the mind body connection.  but I would say that with severe chronic pain, you need to separate the mind body connection.  I have to really use healthy denial to function day to day.    
I am down to part time work now.  but standing for long periods is never good.  when dealing with a disease like mast cell, all of the mediators being released could cause so many different actions and reactions in our bodies.  
Not sure what I may have done to cause a flare up today, had to call out of work.   I ate tuna yesterday, but I had been ok with it before.  probably a bad decision on my part.  I am thinking of putting a bed in my bathroom, so I can be more comfortable in there for hours at a time.  (only kidding).
I really am so greatful to have found this group.  It was just what no doctor has unfortunatley suggested.  You would think that with a disease as nasty as this social support would be a suggestion by all our providers.  well, maybe we will all continue to educate our providers.
schatzi

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #32 - 01/13/11 at 03:58:43

archived from original forum   -  deborahw author

Hi Schatzi,
I am 99% sure that tuna is on that list of histamine causing foods that we should avoid. Knowing ahead of time what foods tend to cause trouble for mast cell people will help you avoid problems. The thing is that we all react differently and we don't all react to the same things. LOL. How lucky we are, huh? It appears, though, that certain things, such as shellfish and alcohol, tend to bother nearly all mast cell patients (according to the researchers, that is). There could be the lucky person who could ingest those items, but I certainly wouldn't want to test it out. (Actually, I already know that those items put me into anaphylaxis!)
One of the best things you can do is to keep a medical diary, especially of foods that you eat, and mark down how you feel after you eat them. This will help you truly identify your safe food and your danger foods.
Have a great evening

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #33 - 01/13/11 at 03:59:40

archived from original forum   -  jysmith author

Hi all!
  Don't know that this will be helpful, but thought I'd throw in some thoughts about exercise that has worked for me.  I have a lot of problems with inflammation, and it seems to be the enemy of exercise, but exercise seems to help my inflammation over time.  Makes it awfully hard to stay in shape, though!  
  For me, there are a few things that have made it possible to exercise, and I've really suffered with rebound pain from exercise and even from just walking around the house or standing up too long.  There have been several times that I've had to work back up from being completely de-conditioned, and it's not for the faint-hearted!  But, I have to say it's been worth it in terms of increased energy.  Of course, if you're in a horrible flare, don't push yourself.  Wait until you're having a pretty good day and take it very, very slowly.  Just moving around in a warm pool can be really helpful and a good way to start if you have access to one.  If not, there are plenty of free ways to exercise.
 ALWAYS start with slow, gentle stretching before exercising (minimum 10 minutes, 20 is better).  Hold all stretches for at least 20 seconds to get long-term benefit from it.  Yoga stretches are great, and there are also some programs on FIT TV and some other exercise channels, or there are stretching videos at public libraries.  
  Stretching after exercise is also critical, same thing as before.  Sometimes I even stop in the middle of a walk or workout to stretch a little.  
  Build up exercising slowly.  Start with a short walk, even if that's just from the bed to the front door and back.  Use a can of food or a one-pound weight to start doing upper body strengthening.Just because the first workout felt really good, doesn't mean you should do double the next day.  Build up really, really slowly.  If you start doing too much, you can have rebound pain, which doesn't make you want to do that again!  
  Heat and Ice.  If your muscles aren't warm, a little gentle heat will help loosen them up.  If you're in really cold air conditioning or in winter, this might be helpful.  After exercising and stretching, ice your neck or low back or hips or wherever you think the pain originates.  NEVER ice before you stretch or exercise, because it stiffens the muscles and can cause an injury.  But, after exercise and stretching, it might help reduce rebound inflammation and pain.
  Medication.  Take extra antihistamines before you exercise, if you think it will be a trigger, and pain after or during exercise can be an indication that you're triggered.  If you can take Tylenol or NSAIDS before you exercise, that might be helpful.
Somebody on the forum said she'd signed up for a cardiac rehab program, which sounded like a great idea, or even physical therapy (which I've done a couple of times), because insurance pays for it, and it's designed for people who are starting from square one.
Hope that is helpful.  Hope all of you who are hurting have a better day tomorrow!  Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #34 - 01/13/11 at 04:01:16

archived from original forum   -  riverwn2 author

Thanks Joan, those are some really great suggestions and I want to try a few to see how it can help me. I have to wait a bit though, Im having such nausea about 80% of the time, that my biggest activity is sitting absolutely still til it passes LOL.. It will be better once I can get Gastrocrom Im sure--that will take me about a month but its worth waiting for. (also trying to replace my phenergan with zofran). That tip about taking some antihistamines before exercising is gold! Maybe that would help before grocery shopping too??
I do alot of the mental imagery too and youre right--i would have trouble day to day without it. Its funny, I used to be capable of shutting off pain 100% below the neck anytime I wanted, but this disorder pretty  much deleted that ability--but I still use it whenever I can Smiley
The pain level is so different day to day, Im never sure what type of day it will be when I awake. Im lucky that I can still take pain meds but Im veryyyyy careful about it. I only take one half of a vicodan and sometimes I add a benadryl when I get paranoid LOL.
Im lucky too that I live very near to a beautiful river with springs --the Ichetucknee, and I can go swimming anytime I want. Im going to make more excursions and try to relax there more often Smiley
Hugs to everyone Smiley
Ramona

PS Debbie... Im backing wayyyy off on my tuna... I find Im growing more sensitive to histamines in foods I am usually able to eat.. dont wanna fill up my cup Smiley
HUGS,
Ramona

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #35 - 01/13/11 at 04:03:12

archived from original forum  -  starflower author

That happened to me too!  I used to be able to eat small amounts of cheddar in a salad or... my favorite... jalapeno cheese grits (yum!!).  Not anymore.  It gives me insane heartburn.  As much as I love it, I've also stopped eating seafood completely (shrimp, scallops, clams, etc...).  I don't want to get to the point where I have severe reactions even to traces of seafood.  Red Lobster is one of the "safe" places my family goes when we're traveling... I get fish with broccoli and a baked potato.
Heather

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #36 - 01/13/11 at 04:04:08

archived from original forum   -  schatzi author

all great info.  I really should not have eaten the tuna.  I was a fishoholic.  I have not eaten any for a while.  I had a horrible reaction and shocked with lobster and clams so goodbye to old favorites.  Alcohol is out, thats bad as well. within a few minutes my face is throbbing and red, my pulse shoots up and everyone knows the rest of the story.
  I should say that I had read that things like white rum and vodka is fine and I did have some white coconut rum and did not react at all.  But who knows.  I found it online on a histamine free diet.  The crazy thing about this disease is that there is no pattern at all. It could be that the food item alone is ok, but add a little stress that day, a little sun, a little exercise and whammy.  We can only do the best we can I guess.  
I'm glad you love the mental imagery Ramona.  I find this can take me places my legs can no longer go.  I used to go white water rafting, hiking in mountains, camping.  I also have traveled around the world by myself.  but now must be more careful.  I still feel so young, hate to be so cautious.  I am only 46, thats the new 18 is it not????? (maybe just the brain fog here)  well, I need to brave the grocery store, my gut keeps toying with the idea of staying put today.  
peace
schatzi

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #37 - 01/13/11 at 04:05:03

archived from original forum   -   deborahw author

When I was in college, I was determined not to gain the freshman 15 (pounds, that is), so I would actually eat tuna and green beans every day for lunch at my sorority. LOL. ALl the other girls would eat the super fattening food made for them by the sorority cooks, and I would walk in with my tuna. No mayo, just tuna in spring water. My friends all would laugh, but I was still able to wear my bikini at the end of the year! Haa! Once I found out that tuna had high mercury levels, I stopped the tuna, though.....Happily, still didn't gain weight. Nope, the weight crept on when I got pregnant with twins. Still trying to get rid of it 10 years later! Uugh! Not giving up, though....

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #38 - 01/13/11 at 04:05:58

archived from original forum  -  riverwn2 author

Tuna used to be one of my safe foods--not only did it not react with me but I could keep it down when my tummy wasnt feeling good.. probably more of a mental thing thinking it was so healthy for me.. I probably over did it this summer... so Im cutting it out at least for a while then very seldom.
Shatzi I know what you mean about how young you feel opposed to what your body will tolerate. You sound like youve had an exciting life! Id love to "do lunch" with you and listen to your stories Smiley Wish we lived nearer~! I used to go camping very often. I hiked trails and made my own more often--I wanted to see places other people hadnt been. Traveling is one of my very fav past times but now id rather stay home where Im comfortable in my own surroundings.
We went out for Mothers Day (my kids treat to me) and they had a raspberry something to drink--I took one sip of theirs I didnt dare risk more than that--it was soooo good,,, next time I will order one for me--and make it a virgin one, just to join in Smiley
Heather youre singing my song LOL ....I ADORE Red Lobster. I go maybe twice a year so I wont react on the coconut shrimp, crab or lobster that I love. Its a treat Im very careful about.
Debbie, my daughter is now grown and in college to be an RN. She graduates in April and has given me a 5 year old grandson Andrew, who is hilarious. His antics keep my laughing constantly. He walks past a table of teachers during kindergarten lunch, stops and gives them thumbs up, saying "Looking good, Ladies!". The first grade teachers fought over who got him this year lmao.
Schatzi, if you could go anywhere in the world (not sick), where would it be? Ive always wanted to go to Italy Smiley  I want to sit in an outdoors cafe and watch the world walk by. I would eat with my fingers, talk with my hands, haunt all the museums and churches for the art, pinch Italian men butts LOL.. and laugh til it hurt Smiley
Have a GREAT day everyone!
Ramona

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print