Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do We Degranulate Differently Releasing Different Mediators? (Read 4201 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Do We Degranulate Differently Releasing Different Mediators?
05/01/14 at 14:23:17

If we have MCAS, our mast cells are trigger happy and degranulate too easily.  Do we all have a different combination of mediators that get released?

I suppose the answer is yes, because when we are tested, we have different results on our labs when the physicians measure some of the mediators in our blood.

I find this odd.  If a mast cell degranulates, why don't we all show similar mediators with similar consequences?  How can a mast cell selectively determine which mediators it allow out and which remain inside the cell?

This is all so confusing to me.

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Re: Do We Degranulate Differently Releasing Different Mediators?
Reply #1 - 05/03/14 at 15:10:13

Hi Futurehope,

I recently was diagnosed with a PTEN gene mutation.  I was tested for several possible genetic mutations because of my history of breast cancer.        
The PTEN was the one that came back positive.  My geneticist alluded to the fact that he felt this gene defect had something to do with my MCAS.  I felt that was a strange thing to imply so I contacted one of the mast cell experts I see.

The response I received really surprised me!  I was told that, yes, my PTEN gene mutation could possibly be a contributory factor to my MCAS. The PTEN is a known mast cell regulatory element and according to research (I do not have articles to confirm this as my doctor told me this) the PTEN mutation has been known for about a decade to cause mast cell activation and also abnormal mast cell hyperreactivity to triggers presented via the standard IgE-mediated pathway. Interesting??

I know I have read articles that say that researchers now know that those of us with MCAS have multiple mutations in multiple regulatory elements.

With that being said, in my opinion, it would make sense if we have different mutations we will indeed have different triggers, have different symptoms, respond differently to medications, and test differently for specific mast cell markers (mediators).

I haven't been on here for quite some time so I am not sure if this topic has been discussed.

Please note that this is what I have been told.  I know I need to do more research on this. This may be a good starting point for that research.  I find it fascinating!

Take care,  lynda51

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #2 - 05/03/14 at 17:48:17

I second what Lynda said about patients having different mutations affecting mast cell regulation. So mast cell mediator release can vary per person and so can the locations in the body of the abnormal mast cells which also affects how MCAD will manifest.

(MC = mast cell)

Dr. Afrin:

"A large menagerie of mutations in MC regulatory elements has been found in MCAS patients; most patients appear to have multiple such mutations, with no clear patterns, or genotype-phenotype correlations, yet apparent. Such mutational heterogeneity likely drives the heterogeneity of aberrant MC mediator expression, in turn causing the extreme heterogeneity of clinical presentation. Different MCAS patients can present with polar opposite clinical aberrancies. All of the body's systems can be affected by MCAS."[1]

[1] https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42603

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #3 - 05/03/14 at 23:16:23

Lynda51, I would love to have genetic testing but I don't have the foggiest idea of how to go about doing it.  Can you lead me in the right direction?  How do you find a geneticist?  Do they take insurance?  I doubt it.

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Hey Bruce, I know I'm a mystery for "regular" doctors who try to help me.  And, I saw Dr. Afrin for over 2 years and am still suffering.  It is a challenge, so I suspect what you said is correct.... that we have different gene mutations that affect different mediator expression in different parts of our bodies.

If I am any indication, the older I get, the more the defect expresses itself. Maybe the defective genes are now also "aging" and malfunctioning in a worse way because of increasing deterioration?  If things were bothering me when I was younger, I can count on them bothering me even more the older I get.  Fun, fun, fun......I mean, bummer, bummer, bummer. I have hit my "golden" years, except they are not golden.
« Last Edit: 05/04/14 at 00:26:18 by Futurehope »  

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #4 - 05/23/14 at 19:19:43

Hi Hope.

I agree...this aging process is not for sissies!!  I think that our MCAD seems to vary and our symptoms seem to migrate which almost feels like they are new or different.  So sometimes we feel we haven't made the progress we think we should.

I guess as much as we don't want to admit it, this disease is not curable and will always be a part of our day.  My goal is to do the best I can in keeping it controlled.  I have learned that it is easier to keep my mast cells controlled that to get them controlled!  I no longer hesitate to take the meds I need to shut down the symptoms I have so the reactions will stop.

As far as a geneticist, I was referred by my oncologist because of my breast cancer family history. It came out of a desire to see my own daughter get a mamogram at an earlier age.  When the most common mutations came back normal, my geneticist wasn't convinced there wasn't a hereditary component so he 'broadened' his search and did a full panel. So of course you know us MCAD people...we have to come up with the least common genetic mutation there is as far as cancer. And it just so happened to have a correlation to my MCAD.

I know the ultimate goal of some researchers is to come up with the mutations that directly affect mast cell regulation, but that testing is a ways off.  Won't it be great when anyone can walk into an office and get their whole exome/genome sequencing of their mast cells tested? That hopefully will lead to therapies that will be effective or ineffective or toxic for each of us!

I hope this find you doing better!  Take care...

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 05/25/14 at 16:31:02

Hi all,

I find all of this gene information interesting.  Here's some food for thought on GMO's and how they are affecting us.

http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers/65-health-risks/2notes

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/01/09/confirmed-dna-from-genetically-mo...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print