Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reacting on low histamine diet--what's the point? (Read 3144 times)
sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reacting on low histamine diet--what's the point?
03/25/14 at 05:39:10

Hi all,

I have some questions about your progress with the low histamine diet.  I started it a year ago, and am now stuck eating the same few foods.  I had just as many reactions this year due to the extreme cold this winter.  I trigger from food, cold, stress, and smells.  I have to bring my kids to school everyday--no bus as we are out-of-district (something that will change this year), so I could not avoid going outside.  I also have to work, and take care of my children, go to the store, etc...  As far as I can tell, the only way to avoid having reactions is to avoid living your life.  I cannot stay indoors all day and not take care of my kids, and not make them food.  

No one will prescribe me a mast cell stabilizer, and now since I eliminated all of the healthy high histamine foods I could eat, I cannot add any back in without having severe throat swelling, or palpitations/tachycardia.  I had reactions last year eating regular foods, but honestly was sicker this year on my low histamine diet.  How do you add foods back in?  I wish I never would have stopped eating eggs or co-jack cheese.  At least I got nutrients from them, and now I have so few nutrients in my diet, and have a big problem with vitamins.

I saw that you can buy ketotifen online from Canada.  I am just trying to figure out my next step in getting help for myself.  Sorry this is so negative.  I just can't find anything positive about this disease, and I feel stuck.  Thanks for any help and advice!   Sarah

IP Logged

Kalle
Ex Member

Re: Reacting on low histamine diet--what's the point?
Reply #1 - 03/25/14 at 08:11:16

I'm sorry I can't offer much help as I have not been diagnosed yet but have all the symptoms.  You are right, the only way I have found to survive is to stay home & stay away from people, things & life.   That is not an option with children & family.  I used to wear a mask when I cooked food for my family or cook it outside so I didn't have to smell it.
Seems the only foods I can eat are things that are not healthy.  I only eat organic foods, mostly bread from white flour, rice, potatoes, beef, low fat milk, egg white.  I stopped trying to go by a diet I just eat what I have the least reaction to.    I hope you find help soon.

IP Logged

Ladybug
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/25/14 at 08:23:34

sarahkay1111 wrote on 03/25/14 at 05:39:10:
Hi all,

I have some questions about your progress with the low histamine diet.  I started it a year ago, and am now stuck eating the same few foods.  I had just as many reactions this year due to the extreme cold this winter.  I trigger from food, cold, stress, and smells.  I have to bring my kids to school everyday--no bus as we are out-of-district (something that will change this year), so I could not avoid going outside.  I also have to work, and take care of my children, go to the store, etc...  As far as I can tell, the only way to avoid having reactions is to avoid living your life.  I cannot stay indoors all day and not take care of my kids, and not make them food.  

No one will prescribe me a mast cell stabilizer, and now since I eliminated all of the healthy high histamine foods I could eat, I cannot add any back in without having severe throat swelling, or palpitations/tachycardia.  I had reactions last year eating regular foods, but honestly was sicker this year on my low histamine diet.  How do you add foods back in?  I wish I never would have stopped eating eggs or co-jack cheese.  At least I got nutrients from them, and now I have so few nutrients in my diet, and have a big problem with vitamins.

I saw that you can buy ketotifen online from Canada.  I am just trying to figure out my next step in getting help for myself.  Sorry this is so negative.  I just can't find anything positive about this disease, and I feel stuck.  Thanks for any help and advice!   Sarah

Hi Sarah,

What are the reasons why doctors won't prescribe any MC stabilizers? What are you currently taking?

When you say that you try to add food back into your diet, how are you doing this? I read elsewhere about doing this slowly and with small amounts of a food at a time.

I hope you find your answers soon!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 03/25/14 at 12:24:16

A few ideas/questions...

Are you taking antihistamines?  Do they help?  If so, are you taking enough of them?  It's safe (and often necessary) for people like us to take more... sometimes far more... than the "normal" dose.

If you can tolerate them, here are some ideas for foods that are dense in nutrients and high in calories: nuts, seeds (some you can eat as a snack, others like flax and chia can be added to foods like oatmeal), coconut (a can of full-fat coconut milk has 800 calories), and avocado.  Personally, I'm only bothered by foods that are fermented or actually contain lots of histamine like tuna, mackerel, aged cheese, etc...  None of the "histamine-releasing" foods... spinach, tomatoes, citrus... are a problem.  On the other hand, I can't eat gluten, raw bananas (latex allergy), or shrimp.  The "low histamine diet" is just a guide, not a prescription.

I know it's maddening trying to figure these things out, especially when you're busy taking care of a family!  Unfortunately, mast cell disorders are super quirky and require a lot of trial-and-error.  Roll Eyes

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #4 - 03/25/14 at 13:57:05

I agree with Kalle.  I just go by what causes the least amount of problems for me.

On another note, I've tried everything Dr. Afrin gave me to stabilize mast cells, (other than the usual OTC H1 and H2's), and was unable to tolerate any of them.  Most meds made me worse.

So, to make a long story short, this is the life I have.  I react to many things.  I need to eat to live.  I do the best I can.  And there has been nothing in 2 1/2 years of trying mast cell stabilizers that has made me better.

I continue taking H1's and H2's but I cannot increase the dose any higher as the fatigue, constipation and dryness become intolerable. I cannot take more than 1 pill of Singulair, as it gives me crazy dreams.

So, all in all, it was very nice to hear that Dr. Afrin "understood" everything I put up with on a daily basis, but I am basically unable to tolerate any mast cell stabilizers.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 03/26/14 at 03:20:00

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I take 180mg Allegra, 1/2 Singulair (cannot tolerate more due to agitation), swallowed Flovent for my throat, and Zantac in the am.  I take Zantac 150mg 4 times/day, Zyrtec in the afternoon, and Benadryl before bed.  Dr. B at Mayo said he's "not worried about my histamine" because I have that covered with what I take.  I am going to start aspirin per Dr. B's recommendations for high prostaglandins x's 2 now--tried once so far, but bad timing--didn't know it was the day before my period, so will try again on Friday.  No diagnosis from Dr. B, even though I meet all the criteria from the TMS material and he is on the board for the TMS society.  No help as to how to STOP the reactions after I have a big one.  I have begged for some guidance on that, and got nothing.  If you really know how this disease works, how can you let people suffer without trying to help them?  My primary told me maybe I should go to Boston.  I was also thinking of seeing Dr. Miner in OK.  I saw a lot written about him here, and with my EoE diagnosis, maybe he would be good?  

Heather--thanks for the tips.  I do put flax seed in my homemade bread.  I will try the coconut milk in rice--that's a good idea for calories.  My diet right now consists of (organic) oat cereal, bananas, milk, homemade cookies, potatoes, organic corn chips, and water.  I ate mushrooms this whole time, but per the Mayo guidelines, cut them out when I was reacting as they are supposed to contain histamine.  I noticed no difference, and now I'm having a hard time eating them.  I used to eat green beans, but now my throat swells within 2 bites.  I'm just sick of hair falling out, and skin looking like crap.  I'm excited for spring, and hope going outside and exercising again will help.

Thanks again and FutureHope--I'm so sorry to hear that.  I get too dried out from extra antihistamines too, and it makes me feel worse.  I hope the stabilizers will help me.  Have you tried aspirin at all?  For some, I know this has been a miracle drug.  Did Dr. Afrin recommend it for you?  I hope you are feeling okay right now and I wish everyone the best.  Sarah

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print