Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Update on first GI and Dermatolgoist visits & 24-hr Urine Test (Read 6991 times)
Ladybug
Ex Member

Re: Update on first GI and Dermatolgoist visits & 24-hr Urine Test
Reply #15 - 03/26/14 at 05:53:20

Hi all,

I'm home sick today with angioedema and welts. Embarrassed Being home, I thought I would call my GI doctor for the results of the polyp he removed from my stomach and the multiple biopsies from the endo and colonoscopy. He was not available, but his assistant read "negative" for several different conditions, but she did not mention anything about mast cells.

I asked her if there was any type of reference on the report pertaining greater than > 20 or less than < 20 mast cells per high power field. She did not see anything and then she looked at a few other papers and she didn't see anything.

Okay . . . I'm really feeling anxious. My GI will call very late today. Is there any other terminology that would be used to check for mast cell proliferation? I remember him telling me that he spoke with the lab and gave them specific instructions about checking for mast cells and they stain to use. I am hoping she overlooked, but she's really good. Maybe this is a separate test that he hasn't yet received?

Does anyone know if this was overlooked, if the lab would still have my biopsies so that they could still be checked? I have no idea what the protocol is for labs as far is tossing away the cells they examine vs saving them.

Thanks a mil!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #16 - 03/27/14 at 04:57:14

So sorry you are sick today!

The specimens should still be available, but I would definitely ask the GI doc to call you so you can discuss it.  As far as I know, they look for numbers of mast cells, aggregates of them, and normal or abnormal shapes.

Joan

IP Logged

Ladybug
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/28/14 at 13:10:33

Hi all,

I just received a call from my wonderful GI doctor's assistant. She is mailing me Endoscopy and Colonoscopy results (I need another one in 5 years).

She was able to provide me some high readings over the phone:

ENDOSCOPY:
70 mast cell per high power (lower esophagus)
50 mast cell per high power (top side of stomach)
65 mast cell per high power (a little below top side of stomach)

COLONOSCOPY:
44 mast cell per high power (sigmoid)
34 mast cell per high power (sigmoid)

Would any of you know what this means or what happens next? Huh

Thanks. ~Ladybug

IP Logged

Ladybug
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/11/14 at 12:25:26

Hey everyone,

I have good news . . . at least I think it's good news. I just returned from seeing my allergist who received the results of my 24-hour urine collections from back in February and also the biopsy results from the recent endo/colonoscopy.

He said that my 24-hour urine collection results show 11 Beta-Prostaglindin F2 Alpha is normal, N-Methylhistamine is high, Creatinine normal, PG D2 is high.

For the endo/colonoscopy biopsy results he said that even though my biopsies showed high mast counts here and there . . . they were round, which is good news because I was hoping that the cells were not abnormal in shape, which would point to Mastocytosis instead of Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.

My waiting for these results is over!  Grin

He said that they should be hearing something back from my insurance soon regarding the Xolair shots. Last year the insurance company turned me down because the FDA only approved Xolair to treat asthma. Now that the FDA approved it for Chronic Urticaria, I hope that my insurance company won't come up with another reason to turn me down.

I think this was a very good visit for a change.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print