Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Having bone marrow biopsy done ... How bad is it? (Read 1740 times)
Sasha
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Having bone marrow biopsy done ... How bad is it?
02/08/14 at 07:04:00

My allergy /immunologist wants me to have a bone marrow biopsy do e this week.  My platelets are still low and I have repeated reactions.  My tryptase is around 4-5 but she said it could be false it is wrong 15% of the time.  How bad was it?  Anything I should do to prepare if be aware of ?

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Having bone marrow biopsy done ... How bad is it?
Reply #1 - 02/08/14 at 17:21:27

Normally it is done under some form of anesthesia so you feel no pain and are unconscious. When it was done on me I only got local anaesthesia  which doesn't limit the pain from the bone! I never was asked if I want full anesthesia but the doctor said it would hurt a lot...
I never had any accident like a broken bone or anything compareable so it was the most intense pain I ever had and it took month until I could "forget" the pain. I heavily suggest anesthesia!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 02/09/14 at 17:17:23

People's experiences vary a lot.  I had only local anesthesia and an ativan and had no pain except for the local anesthetic injection.  The doctor said it's not hard to miss the major nerves.  Also, the local was injected deeply, so I think that made a difference.  And a senior hematologist did the biopsy.

Ask that it be done by someone experienced.  A pain reliever in advance might help, too.  I had very little pain after.  Felt like a bruise for a few days.

Good luck!  Hope it's painless!

BTW, I did pre-medicate with the usual antihistamines and prednisone..

Joan

IP Logged

Rocky 9801
Tutor

What the hell happened???!!

St Louis, MO
Reply #3 - 02/11/14 at 06:00:10

My experience was the same as Joan's. Local anesthesia only and a sore behind. For me, numbing of the bone was what hurt the most.
It is not a pleasant experience but not much worse than a trip to the dentist.

Over the course of 11 years with multiple myeloma, my father had 8 BMB's. All were performed with local only.

good luck.

John

Grandpa, which wolf wins the fight....the good one or the bad onel??

The one you feed, son. The one you feed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print