Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Evening Primrose Oil (Read 6242 times)
Aggie48
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Evening Primrose Oil
01/27/14 at 13:32:05

I currently am suffering from hives covering my body and swelling of my lips and eyes.  Has anyone on here ever tried  Evening Primrose Oil pills for skin issues?

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Evening Primrose Oil
Reply #1 - 01/27/14 at 16:15:27

It sounds as if you need antihistamines and possibly prednisone if you are having hives and swelling. Have you called a doctor or gone to the ER?

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 01/27/14 at 16:57:30

Aggie, do you have a diagnosis yet? I too suffer from hives and angioedema (swelling). Antihistamines help a lot. But as I have learned from Deborah, you need to take them at least twice a day.
Steroids can help too, but unfortunately not a long term remedy:(

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 01/28/14 at 04:04:34

Evening primrose oil has a lot of GLA, which your body converts to prostaglandins.  Prostaglandins can do good things in certain situations (my midwife prescribed evening primrose oil when I was overdue with my first baby)... but they also cause inflammation and pain.  If a mast cell disorder is the cause of your hives, I wouldn't add anything that might make it worse.

GLA might be good for *dry* skin... but it's not the kind of thing people use to treat hives.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Aggie48
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/28/14 at 07:47:15

Thank you all for responses!!!  I really appreciate it!  I'm currently taking Zyrtec, Zantac, and Vistaril. I have been to my Internist and an Allergist - both don't know what's going on - they both think it's autoimmune related.  I have MCAD and Hashimotos disease and right now I am very anemic.  I'm definitely in a flare right now.  I can't get into my Mast Cell Doc until Feb. 20th, so for now I'm just trying to survive!!!   Cry

Heather - thank you so much for the information - I think I will stay away from Evening Primrose oil for now!

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/28/14 at 15:22:27

I'm glad you're staying away from the primrose for now:) if you look at the urticaria society website, they talk about salicylates being possible aggravators for urticaria and angioedema. As we are all different, I will say that I personally have serious reactions to salicylates Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print