Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What happens to the histamine? (Read 1223 times)
Michelle
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

What happens to the histamine?
01/19/14 at 06:17:37

This may be a silly noob question, but I haven't been able to find anything about it by searching.

Those of us who take antihistamines (or "histamine blockers") know that they don't actually get rid of the histamine in our system. It just prevents our body from "seeing" the histamine, so to speak. So what then happens to the histamine, if it never reaches the receptors? Does anyone know?

I know there are substances that are supposed to break down histamine, such as DAO, but do they work the same way when the body doesn't know that the histamine even exists? Or does the histamine just collect and build up over time? I'm sure it has some sort of half-life, so that it eventually breaks down on its own, but I have to wonder if there might not be other consequences to having these histamines in our body over the long haul.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: What happens to the histamine?
Reply #1 - 01/22/14 at 08:59:46

It's actually a good question!

I'm pretty sure histamine eventually gets flushed out.  I know this is what happens with prostaglandins... another substance released by our mast cells... because you can speed up the process by taking aspirin, as long as it doesn't cause too many other problems.  (Personally, I have to avoid substances that are blood thinners).  Also, while it's possible to have abnormally high serum/urinary levels... my understanding is that histamine is just a signaler like hormones.  If you're blocking the signal, there's nothing else for it to do.

I'm not a doctor or a biologist... this is just my speculation, based on what I've read about immunology.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print