Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dr. Afrin explains how mast cell diseases are categorized.... (Read 7155 times)
mountain girl
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Dr. Afrin explains how mast cell diseases are categorized....
01/16/14 at 04:50:10

This was posted on another mast cell forum.  Dr. Afrin explains in simple terms the difference between Masto and MCAS. Also how everything is categorized under MCAD.  

Mastocytosis in any form -- the rare cutaneous forms such as UP or TMEP, or the even rarer systemic forms -- is a disease of inappropriate mast cell activation combined with inappropriate mast cell proliferation (growth). MCAS, on the other hand, is a disease of inappropriate mast cell activation but with little to no inappropriate mast cell proliferation. Thus, as you can see, it's now evident that *all* mast cell diseases feature inappropriate mast cell activation, but only mastocytosis *also* features inappropriate mast cell proliferation. This is why the new "top-level" term for the whole class of mast cell diseases is "mast cell activation disease" (MCAD). MCAD encompasses both mastocytosis in all its forms as well as MCAS. Current terminology systems in this area say that if you have a diagnosis of UP (or any other form of mastocytosis), then you can't also have a diagnosis of MCAS -- but that's all pretty much an irrelevant semantic point. The bottom line remains two determinations: do you have chronic inappropriate mast cell activation, and do you have chronic inappropriate mast cell growth? (Note that if you have the latter, you virtually certainly also have the former.) Inappropriate activation gets managed with one particular approach (therapies aimed at blocking mediator production, blocking mediator release, and blocking the effects of mediators that have already been released), while inappropriate growth gets treated with a largely different approach (drugs and other techniques that impede mast cell reproduction). The two approaches, of course, are not mutually exclusive, and there are some patients with more aggressive forms of mastocytosis who do in fact get treated simultaneously with both approaches. In many cases of mastocytosis in which there is "less aggressive" inappropriate mast cell growth, though, only therapies targeted at inappropriate mast cell activation are needed.

Overall, the mast cell diseases are highly variable from one patient to the next, thereby requiring that the approach(es) to treatment be as individualized as are the clinical presentations.

-- LBA

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Re: Dr. Afrin explains how mast cell diseases are categorized....
Reply #1 - 01/17/14 at 10:30:11

I've been wondering about the classification of MCADs. From earlier publications mast cell activation disease (MCAD) seemed to be the most general term encompassing them all, but later publications seem to have mast cell activation syndrome or mast cell activation disorder as the top level.

For example these publication calls mastocytosis a primary mast cell activation syndrome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23385621

http://www.medpagetoday.com/resource-center/anaphylaxis/mast-cells/a/37978

So from what I recall the classification has changed to where mast cell activation syndrome is the most general term now and mast cell activation disorder is a synonym. But I guess mast cell activation disease is also a synonym. And there's primary, secondary and idiopathic MCAS. I'd like someone more knowledgeable than me to help me out with the current classification. Do I have this correct?

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 01/17/14 at 11:51:36

It must be a relatively new classification system??? Not that she has seen me as a patient, but from my history and lab results I shared with her, Dr. Castells is thinking I have primary autoimmune urticaria, with a secondary disorder of MCAS. Hmmmm..???
« Last Edit: 01/17/14 at 13:17:14 by Britt »  

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 01/18/14 at 03:28:33

I totally do not understand it! Once I asked Dr. Akin, who years ago diagnosed me with Idiopathic Anaphylaxis (IA), what the difference was between IA and MCAS. He responded that he believes that IA and MCAS are a spectrum of the same disorder with different severities. Anaphylaxis is a clinical syndrome which involves cardiovascular or respiratory systems. He said that most patients with IA may have episodes of less severe MCAS symptoms on appropriate medications.

So, what does that mean? I have no idea! LOL. I still am at a loss for what he thinks I actually have! I guess I have both, with IA being my primary one? I know that that I have anaphylaxis, and I suppose that my MCAS symptoms are much more mild compared to many people's. Yet, I still don't understand the difference.

So, when it comes to breaking down MCAS into even smaller categories, I am at a loss for knowing the answers.  Cheesy

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #4 - 01/18/14 at 06:06:36

After reading the OP, my understanding is:

Everyone with mast cell diseases has mast cell activation to one degree or another.

Mastocytosis patients also have inappropriate proliferation of mast cells, in addition to inappropriate activation.

It seems that Dr. Afrin would paint all mast cell disorders as MCAD. Under MCAD, every patient will suffer some degree of MCAS.  Another set of patients will have mastocystosis with some degree of MCAS.

IOW, MCAS is there in all MCAD patients.  This is how I read the OP.

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #5 - 04/22/14 at 15:58:51

I just wanted to report back that I understand the MCAD classification now.

The general term is mast cell activation disease/disorder (MCAD).  All MCADs have aberrant MCA. MCAD is organized in two separate main classifications.

One is based on cause: primary, secondary and idiopathic MCAD. The other is based on the number of mast cells, when there's a normal number it's MCAS, and when excess mast cells it's mastocytosis.*

Primary MCAD is where a mast cell defect has been found. Secondary MCAD is where another condition such as IgE allergies, infection or autoimmune disease is the cause of elevated MCA. And idiopathic is when neither primary nor secondary causes can be found and thus the cause is unknown.

Then mastocytosis can be further broken down into specific types such as systemic and cutaneous.  And then systemic has more specific types such as indolent and aggressive. And cutaneous mastocytosis has more specific types such as urticaria pigmentosa. And MCAS can be broken down into monoclonal and idiopathic MCAS.

Here's some nice links if you want to see more on MCAD classifications:

http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/full/v3/i1/wjh-3-1-g001.htm
http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/full/v3/i1/wjh-3-1-g002.htm
http://www.clinicaltherapeutics.com/article/S0149-2918(13)00171-9/pdf  (page 552 & 555)

* Actually mastocytosis criteria isn't quite a simple as excess mast cells. That is the major criteria, but it also requires 1 of 4 minor criteria, or if major criteria not met then at least 3 minor criteria.

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/22/14 at 23:05:05

Is it different from allergy .. allergic reaction .. Anaphylaxis
With 4 minor criteria and spindle mast cells in bone marrow
I just spent a week with anaphylaxis websites and Thay have never heard of
Mastocytosis clonal mast cell disesse mast cell activation
The awareness campaign has not worked

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #7 - 05/06/14 at 17:32:53

Sorry I had pretty bad brain fog from doctor trip. I would like to reword something in my last post. Instead of saying one classification is based on number of mast cells, I would like to say one classification is based on hyperproliferative mast cells, if there's abnormal hyperproliferative mast cells then it's mastocytosis, if not then it's MCAS.

Mastocytosis doesn't require the major criteria to make diagnosis if it meets at least 3 of the minor criteria which based on what I read in Dr. Afrin's latest publication I think would mean the mast cells are considered hyperproliferative even if they have not yet accumulated enough to meet major criteria, they are probably expected to and considered mastocytosis at an early stage, and/or maybe they expect it would meet the major criteria even at that time if they biopsied the right spot. That's what makes sense to me but I didn't explicitly read that.

Dr. Afrin:

"Given that it is now understood that MC KIT codon 816 mutations (a minor criterion) drive MC aggregation (a major criterion) and certain other minor criteria including MC spindling, tryptase overexpression, and CD25 co-expression, reorganization of the WHO diagnostic criteria for SM may be in order."[1]

[1] http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/full/v3/i1/1.htm

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 05/06/14 at 19:15:45

If the 816v exon 17 mutation was made the major criteria and clusters of mast cells would be minor criteria
Since Tryptase is used as the marker for disesse and progresion the tryptase could be a major as well
But all of theses are found in other disesse
So CD25 would be the major
The we have the few people with murture mast cell infiltration of the bone marrow
Witch course chronic increasing Tryptase in monoclonal mast cell activation
Arfter all this is suited out Thay give you  antihistamines

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #9 - 05/23/14 at 18:31:24

Hi Bruce,

I have a question.  Several months ago my geneticist suggested that the PTEN mutation I have, has something to do with my MCAD.  He didn't seem surprised at all that my c-kit had come back negative.

I wrote to Dr. Afrin because this was confusing to me and I thought I had mis-read my geneticist's comment.  Dr. Afrin's reply surprised me.  He said that my geneticist was most likely correct as the PTEN gene is a mast cell regulatory element.  And one responsible for the hyperreactivity of the mast cell.  He also told me that he feels we each have our own unique MCAD based on our different genetic make-up.  

So if it is our genetic make-up and not the positive c-kit, does that make it a primary MCAD or secondary MCAD?  

This is confusing! Smiley  Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #10 - 05/23/14 at 18:36:34

I need to clarify.  A better way of asking my question would be;

So if it is  a combination of our own specific (genetic) mast cell regulatory elements, and we do not have a positive c-kit, does that make is primary or secondary MCAD?

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 05/25/14 at 17:09:14

Secondary mast cell activation is when something else is coursing the MCA
Primary is when clonal mast cells course the MCA
But all clonal mast cell activation has been put under mastocytosis that s not Wright I've

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #12 - 05/26/14 at 03:28:46

Hi Lynda. If it's any genetic defect in the mast cells causing the problem then it's a primary MCAD.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 05/26/14 at 07:13:18

An example of secondary: I have autoimmune urticaria with a secondary condition of MCAS.

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 05/26/14 at 09:08:56

A another example is anaphylaxis but arfter servivre clonal anaphylaxis the damage mast cells don't die but keep leaking Tryptase and other chemical s

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print