Send Topic Print
Rupatadine ? (Read 11119 times)
zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Rupatadine ?
11/17/13 at 13:01:16

Listmates,

Has anyone here tried Rupatadine ?   I see that it is available from Canada with prescription.   I was thinking of trying it since I had failed out on Ketotifen and Chromolyn.   It sounds like a very good medicine.

Thanks in advance,
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Rupatadine ?
Reply #1 - 11/17/13 at 15:42:45

I haven't tried it, but if you do... tell us how it goes!  My understanding is that it's both an antihistamine and a PAF inhibitor.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 11/19/13 at 04:16:50

Starflower,

Yes, I'm concerned that the regular script. might contain a dye of some sort.   But it does look like a logical medication for me to progress to.

If I had not gotten my doxepin compounded from the very first dose, I probably would not know I could take doxepin.   When I tried to save money by getting doxepin from Wal-Mart, just one 10mg dose hurt me very badly.   I can only assume it was the yellow dye in the capsule that I did not tolerate.   But I can tolerate OTC generic Allegra.   This leaves me in a quandary as to how I should approach my testing of future medications ?

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 11/19/13 at 10:46:43

While I'm on the subject, does anyone know of a good compounding pharmacy in Canada ?   I think I would like to get the Rupatadine compounded at first, just to make sure I can tolerate it.

Blessings,
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 11/21/13 at 06:45:24

Mmmm... good question.  I use Northwest Pharmacy in Canada.  They have great customer service, so I'm sure you could call and ask if they do compounded prescriptions.

Heather

ps - Allegra is the only H1 I have NOT been able to tolerate... it gives me a headache.  Weird, huh?

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 11/21/13 at 08:33:22

Allegra gives me a headache too, but only when I take more than 60mg/day.

Starflower:  So you are getting drugs from Canada ?   I was told today, by a Canadian Pharmacy that it was illegal to get drugs from Canada, unless you traveled to Canada to get them.   Is that correct ?

I'll have to confess, my ability to aquire Rupatadine at this point isn't looking too good.   Tennessee is not anywhere near Canada (or Mexico for that matter).

I was speaking on the phone with the head honcho at Clark's Pharmacy today, Mark.   He mentioned something about masto. patients going to Mexico and getting a drug that they like better than Ketotifen.   But he never knew what that drug was.   Maybe it was Rupatadine ?

Just FYI.
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 11/22/13 at 04:19:55

Starflower,

Northwest Pharmacy is listed as a CIPA approved pharmacy, which gives some confidence that it is reputable.   I also contacted Northdrugstore.com in Toronto.   They are also CIPA certified.   I did not query about the compounding, as it seemed like such an effort just to get the regular, I didn't want to push my luck.   Also, as this is still a name brand medication, I was able to see the list of excipients, and they didn't look too bad (similar to the OTC Allegra that I do tolerate).  It is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline.

From what I have read and been told, it IS techinically illegal to buy drugs from Canada over the internet, or telephone.   BUT the laws are rarely enforced.   So practically speaking, it is possible to order Rupatadine from Canada into the U.S. , with a U.S. doctor's script.   And this is what I intend to do.  

I will report on my progress.

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 03/08/14 at 07:16:15

10mg GlaxoSmithKline Rupafin (Rupatadine) acquired.  This was the source:  http://www.northdrugstore.com/buy-Rupafin.html

I will begin trying this new medication presently.

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 03/31/14 at 12:18:11

Listmates,

I'm sad to report that I also flunked out on Rupatadine.  It made my symptoms worse, not better.  

Still, I think it is a very good medication to try, and I would not discourage others from going this same route if they thought it would benefit them.

Best,
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print