Send Topic Print
quercetin (Read 8012 times)
kesasur
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

quercetin
10/19/13 at 06:16:20

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this question:

Dr. Theoharides points out that Ketofin and Cromolyn aren't true mast cell stabilizers since they don't stop the release of inflammatory cytokines.  His research says quercetin and luteolin are much better at this.
If I understand correctly his company puts out a product w/ this things in in (Neuroprotek) and he gets no revenue. So I don't believe there is a conflict of interest in his research.

Is there anyone here taking this? Taking either supplement (quercetin or luteolin) and if so how is that working out compared to the regular medication regimen? Anyone doing both?

Thanks!
Kelley

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: quercetin
Reply #1 - 10/19/13 at 07:07:15

Kelly~ thank you so much for your reply. When I wrote yesterday, I had no idea what was in store for me. So coincidental since I had just read that article on organic brain syndrome.
I had been taking ONE drop of cromolyn since October 3rd. (I'd tried to up it on the 8th to two drops but couldn't tolerate it, so I went back down) since restarting it on the 3rd (I tried it at a higher dose for 3 weeks in August) I have had terrible nausea, vomiting, depression and for some reason, sleep is nil for me on cromolyn.

So yesterday I thought I'd take my ONE drop and drink it faster thinking it might get out of my system in time to go to sleep. Boy was I in for a ride. I felt very floaty and detached all day (a symptom I had prior to taking h1 and h2) 4 years ago. This feeling brought on some anxiety. Then things settled down for a couple of hours. But by 7:30 last night I got VERY irritable and was crying, couldn't think, my heart was racing, my face was swollen and I had a raging migraine headache (so weird since I had just read that article) my husband got dressed to take me I the er. But I knew they wouldn't know what to do with me, so I took extra Ativan and drank some more Benadryl. This calmed me enough down to stay home. Unfortunately I didn't sleep again.

So I decided not to take the cromolyn today. Part of me is not content with this decision, I wanted it to work so bad,  but another part of me knows that I cannot tolerate it, and it's not worth it.

I'm really happy that you were able to go back on the cromolyn and titrate up without side effects. That's wonderful!  Makes me rethink me decision to stop. But last night was very scary Embarrassed

The thought of being out of options(as far as mast stabilizers go) is upsetting to me, since I couldn't do the cromolyn or ketotefin. But I am interested it the quercetin that you have mentioned. Like you, if like to hear if anyone else has an experience with this. Maybe I'm not out of options after all?

This is why I am wondering about trying Pepcid instead of Zantac. It's an option that is readily available to me.

I want more than anything to stabilize. I know I'm never going to be 100%, but I would be content with 50%!

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 10/19/13 at 07:48:17

Just looked up Dr. Theoharides supplements. They all have beeswax in the ingredients which would send me through the roof! Bummer. Also, being very sensitive to plant extracts (I believe I am sal sensitive) I am also a little weary of these supplements being plant based. But I am going to call them on Monday and see what they say:)

IP Logged

kesasur
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 10/19/13 at 08:32:05

HI Brigitte,
I'm sorry you reacted so badly!  Given that kind of reaction, I'd run away screaming from cromolyn too...   I've run screaming from plenty of other things after reactions similar to that.

Drat... I'm not sure what beeswax would do to me. I know that honey is out so I'm hesitant of anything bees related. I'm not sure about plant extracts... but probably not great for me either- and yet, I know that these things are designed in mind for some of the most sensitive kids around.  Or maybe not?  He does have a low sal formula.
And I personally don't do well w/ olive oil either! LOL! Tongue

I'll be interested to hear what you find out!

I understand completely about getting back to 50%.  
I don't know about you but this disease has certainly given me a new perspective on what is important in life and what isn't.

Kelley

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 10/20/13 at 20:42:35

I am also relatively sensitive so salicylates. I tried 500mg quercetin a day from a generic brand for some weeks and tolerated it fine but didn't get any effect.
Dr. Theoharides writes, that only his supplements have a hightend bioavailability of quercetin. But Neroprotek is very expensive. 80 capsules cost 39$. With 80kg I should take 4x2 capsules a day resulting in a monthly cost of more than 120$...

There is discussion about MCAS, CFS and Neuroprotek in this forum:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/me-cfs-is-a-mast-cell-disorder-...

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Reply #5 - 10/28/13 at 04:36:24

Ive been taking 1500 mg daily in three doses at meal times since july. I think it has helped some, have read that does better with absorption when combined with rutin so will be my next thing to try. Of note, i take pure quercetin cannot tolerate those that have things like bromelain or vit c in them( as lots of vit c has rose hips- bad for sal sensitive). I do use a non citrus vit c powder at timed.

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #6 - 10/31/13 at 16:15:47

shabrans, which quercetin product do you use? I want to try another one to see if I tolerate it.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 11/01/13 at 16:11:50

As a really hyper-sensitive person, I would never try any medication or supplement "straight up."  If it's not a time-released medicine, a pill can be broken into small pieces or a capsule opened and some of the contents taken out.  (Check with a pharmacist if you're unsure of the safety.)  I mix a very small amount of it with a lot of water or mix it into well-tolerated food and then drink/eat it slowly over a period of time, sometimes several hours.

Joan

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #8 - 11/01/13 at 20:25:57

Yeah Joan that's what I was going to do with the next B-Complex supplement I try. Though I want to caution people that some powders in capsules are very fine and became airborne so be careful not to inhale them. Some of that stuff in the capsules can be pretty bad to inhale into your lungs.

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 11/02/13 at 06:35:51

GOOD ADVICE JOAN!!
my dear masto friend Olive told me looong ago..aways start slow..and let the body note the change..
redbird

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #10 - 11/02/13 at 09:26:57

Yeah I also just read in a publication by Dr Afrin on MCAS where he mentioned desensitization therapy can be used for unavoidable environmental triggers. That sounds great. I always wondered if that could work with MCAS because I sometimes can start tolerating some of my very mild triggers after being exposed to them frequently. Although the majority of the time they just keep making me worse, but maybe if I introduce very tiny amounts of it and slowly build up over many weeks it may allow me to tolerate a B-Complex supplement. I was intolerant to 2 different B supplements so far. I think with the 3rd one I'm about to order I'll try starting with a very tiny amount and build up.

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Reply #11 - 11/18/13 at 14:33:49

Bruce,
Sorry hadnt been on here for a while. I use SolaRay. I use the Now rutin as well to help the absorption and am starting to feel a little better.

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #12 - 11/20/13 at 12:47:59

Oh thanks shabrans. I actually tried that SolaRay one over a year ago but didn't tolerate it. I chose it because it said citrus free one and I react badly to citric acids. When I was less sensitive I have tolerated Quercetin by Now Foods and I can't remember if I tried it again and didn't tolerate it. Maybe I'll try the Now Foods one again when I get the money.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print