Send Topic Print
Trying new food??? (Read 2851 times)
sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Trying new food???
10/09/13 at 03:54:15

Hi,

I am just wondering if any of you have tried low-histamine recipes?  I found some online from the low-histamine chef.  There is information out there about the foods that work as an anti-inflammatory, and have antihistamine properties (basil, green tea, ginger, fennel).  I am having a bad time with nutrition and am desperately needing to add foods to my diet.  (I have lost half of my hair--I think from iron-deficiency anemia).  I just started taking iron, but I have reactions to vitamins and would appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you--Sarah

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Trying new food???
Reply #1 - 10/09/13 at 06:35:19

Try adding vitamin C to your supplements... it's a mast cell stabilizer and will help you absorb iron.  

Most fruits and vegetables are anti-inflammatory.  Fresh, grass-fed meat and organic eggs are good too.  If you can tolerate them, supplements like turmeric, garlic, and fish oil are good... but I would use them cautiously since they're blood thinners (and fish is a common allergen).  Healthy fats like olive oil, canola oil, coconut, walnut oil, etc... are good too.  Also... try to minimize carbohydrates, although I know that's easier said than done when you're really reactive Sad

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 10/10/13 at 07:18:42

Thanks Heather.  What kind of vitamin C do you take?  I have tried the gummies but they bother me.  I can't do the slow-release because I can't swallow pills (eosinophilic esophagitis), so I have to crush them unless they are very small.  I just started generic Singulair a couple of weeks ago, so I'm hoping it will help with everything Smiley  

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 10/11/13 at 06:04:48

I've been taking time release (the tablets ARE huge), but I remember taking some chewable tablets in the past when I felt a cold coming on... I'll see what I can find.  Are you ok with rose hips as an additive?

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 10/11/13 at 07:31:37

Hi Heather--I'm not sure about the rose hips, but I could try it...  When I take the gummies, I just get high blood pressure and heart rate for about an hour, so it's manageable.  I saw someone on here takes the Emergen-C?  Have you tried that?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 10/11/13 at 12:36:37

I have used Emergen-C, but not for a few years.  It has a bunch of other vitamins and minerals (and fructose)... which I think is why I stopped.  I don't remember having a bad reaction to it though.

Heather

ps - I found a bunch of chewable tablets on Amazon like "Daily C."  The one I used, by Country Life, does have rose hips... not all of them do Smiley

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 10/15/13 at 05:16:21

Thanks!