Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tolerate some things after getting used to them? (Read 1412 times)
Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Tolerate some things after getting used to them?
10/08/13 at 16:40:43

While all strong triggers make me progressively worse the more I'm exposed to them it seems often my very mild triggers that only cause very mild symptoms stop triggering my symptoms if I continue to inhale or ingest them. Though sometimes things that I seem to completely tolerate the first time will trigger symptoms 2nd time and stronger symptoms the 3rd time and I have to give up on them. Anyone else experience this?

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Tolerate some things after getting used to them?
Reply #1 - 10/09/13 at 03:45:17

Hi Bruce,

With food, I definitely notice the increasing severity of reactions after eating it more than once.  I cannot go out to eat at all.  When I first started having food symptoms, each time I went out to eat, I had more and more severe reactions until I ended up in the ER.  That was enough for me.  With the smells, it's a little different.  I can handle much more when I feel stable.  If I have a bad reaction to a perfume however, then things I normally tolerate trigger me so that I feel like I am constantly reacting.  This is when I have to make sure to rest, take extra medication, and eat very safe foods until I feel better (lately it takes about 1 month for me to feel "normal" again after a reaction).  Hope you are doing well!  
Sarah

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Tolerate some things after getting used to them?
Reply #2 - 10/11/13 at 06:25:45

Hi Bruce!!
Ok, I would say 2 things; First, anything is possible and Yes, sometimes I can tolerate things I couldn't before. BUT (secondly) you have to remember that when we react it is difficult to point a finger at one specific thing and the truth is that we have a "one drop over the barrel being full" progress when we react.  Often, we wont know exactly what set us off, but the truth is that we usually have more than one trigger to cause it. What does that mean to your safety? You have a pretty good idea of some of the things that make you react and if youre going to do something that involves one of your triggers, then make sure you make a strong effort to avoid other triggers, so that one trigger wont send you over the edge. Better safe than sorry, right? Just think about it and be safe.
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print