Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Singulair (Read 2901 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Singulair
08/25/13 at 11:45:53

Hello friends! I tried singulair 10 mg (generic) last fall, I think it was, and got a terrible respiratory infection while taking it. I had read many places that this can be a side effect (and, as I have recently learned form cromolyn, again, if there is a side effect, I will get it  Angry).
But, of course, it could have been coincidental, but nonetheless, I stopped taking it.
Since the cromolyn was a bust, this train in moving forward. A prescription for ketotefin is being filled for me at Clark's pharmacy. While talking to Dr. Chins nurse, we started talking about singulair again.
She talked to Dr. Chin and he sent in a script for a child's dose, 4mg, to hopefully dodge any side effects.
But I was wondering....is singulair mostly for breathing and respiratory  issues with MCAS? Although I do have breathing difficulties sometimes (actually had it last night), this is not a main symptom for me.
Just wanted to get some feedback on the possible benefits of singulair for MCAS. If it is mainly for breathing issues, I may not pick it up. I'd hate to add any unwarranted medications to my already lengthily list!
Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Singulair
Reply #1 - 08/27/13 at 01:02:16

Difficulty breathing is not (usually) a major symptom for me either... and I don't have asthma... but that's not the main reason I take Singulair.  A few weeks after I started taking it (and again when I increased my dose from 10mg/day to 30mg/day) I found that I suddenly had ENERGY again Smiley  Being a mother and working full-time, this makes a huge difference in the quality of my life!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/27/13 at 09:14:32

Thanks for the reply Heather!!! Makes me excited to try it!! On your comment about electrolytes, I too feel better when I drink them. Sometimes I even drink one of those Gatorade 2's (they don't seem to bother me, but I do try and get the dye free ones if I can find them), and it makes me feel a lot better!
I've been on a good run the last week! I've been watching out for high histamine foods, have been using aluminum free deodorant and have been using shea butter (so far so good), and avoiding products with petroleum, which seem to be a big trigger for me.
The ketotefin is being made for me up at Clark's pharmacy, but I'm a little hesitant to get it. I'm thinking of trying to add the singular first and see what happens.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #3 - 08/28/13 at 05:36:34

Bridgette:
Just from my point of view, SM with extreme skin sensitivity, I would reverse the adding meds. First I would add the ketotifen. It's the only med I've taken in my 8 year ride that's helped at all. Singular is well & good to have in your regiment but for me a mast cell inhibitor was  most important. I was on Gastrocrom for a good year with little gain. When you start ketotifen, start slow & build up just like any med & Mark @ Clark's is absolutely the best. His capsules have no fillers. But there is a down side, it tired me out some, so had to change from zrytec to allegra & was OK, but still get tired but could also be me getting old as am in my 60's. Good luck.
MikeV

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print