Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting Gastrocrom (Read 6255 times)
nbkfab1
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Starting Gastrocrom
12/31/12 at 15:35:16

For those of you on Gastrocrom, would you share benefits/side effects that you've experienced and timing from start of treatment?  Following identification of mast cells in my GI tract, my doctor started me out on one ampule, 3 times a day before meals for the first week, then doubled to 2 ampules beginning week 2.  I did o.k. in the first week, but had horrible gastritis last night following the increased dosage.  With Gastrocrom, I have been able to eat a little dairy and wheat, which amongst a number of others are trigger foods.  Some mild abdominal pain has also popped up again after many pain free months of avoidance.   Anywho - I don't think it is blocking triggers as much as I'd hoped, but perhaps starting over the holidays is a bit too much of a stress test!

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: Starting Gastrocrom
Reply #1 - 01/01/13 at 10:50:44

It takes several months 3 ot 4 to get the full benefits of the gastrocrom.  It made me very ill when I first started it.  Takes awhile for things to settle down!
Good luck!

Pam

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 01/03/13 at 07:12:34

Hang in there! It took me a couple months to work up to the therapeutic dosage, which I've been on for one month now. With each dose increase while I was working up to the therapeutic dose, some of my symptoms worsened significantly for a couple weeks before settling down. At this point, I've seen significant improvement in a couple of symptoms and no improvement still of others. According to my doc, it can take 120 days (4 months) to see the full effect. It can take a while, so hang in there and don't worry about worsening symptoms up front, as that seems to be pretty common.

IP Logged

nbkfab1
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/03/13 at 16:31:10

Thanks to you both.  The gastritis seems to have stabilized as I've diluted with more water, but really good to understand the long ramp up.  I'm ready for some benefits, so hopefully they are on the way...

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/03/13 at 16:48:11

I thought I posted this before, but don't see it, so, sorry if this is a repeat.  I think it's best to avoid trigger foods while you are building up to therapeutic doses of meds.  Later, when you are stable, you can try to add trigger foods back into your diet, one at a time, and see what you can tolerate.  In any case, rotating your diet daily might help keep you from having problems with additional foods.

Joan

IP Logged

nbkfab1
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/06/13 at 04:37:52

Thanks Joan - I did see your original reply - I posted to the wrong category to start with, then posted the same question again here.  You found me in both places Smiley

As I am another week into this, one more question for everyone - Anyone have GI / IBS type symptoms that have worsened with Gastrocrom?  I am having motility issues - Not to get too detailed, but # of visits to the bathroom have increased and some mild abdominal pain.  I am hopeful that this will improve!  Thanks all

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 01/06/13 at 20:36:48

You might be increasing the Gastrocrom quicker than your body can tolerate.  My suggestion would be to cut back.  One way would be to split your doses and take them more times/day, e.g., 1/2 vial in a lot of water, 8 times/day instead of 1 vial 4 times/day.  You can also use foods (e.g., rice) to slow things down.  I find that if I drink a cup of warm water, slowly, in the morning when I wake up, and then start to take my meds, I don't have as much problem with them.  If that doesn't work, cut back until you can take it without incident, or take a break from it and try again in a week.

Even though I've been on Gastrocrom for quite a while, I'll still have occasional problems like you've been having.  Then I'll do what I mentioned and take less Gastrocrom more frequently.  I think sometimes it's because of stress and other times it's due to something I ate the night before.

Hope something works.  It was worth it to build up slowly for the benefit I get from Gastrocrom.

Joan

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 01/07/13 at 20:02:28

One more thing....  I saw the gastroenterologist today and found out that the compounding pharmacy (a Medicine Shoppe) in Colorado Springs is selling ketotifen.  This might be easier than ordering from Canada, and it wasn't terribly expensive (60 capsules for a little under $35).  They'll ship it for $2.50 extra.

Dr. Lewey said he thinks ketotifen is a better stabilizer than Gastrocrom with fewer side effects for some people, and it's certainly a lot smaller to carry when traveling!  I'm going to start with a small part of the capsule first, just to make sure I don't react.  I bought some empty capsules at the health food store, so I can pour part of one into one of those.

Joan

IP Logged

NMLiz
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 01/10/13 at 10:55:50

Wow--thanks for the info about ketotifen! Didn't know it was available anywhere in the US.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 01/14/13 at 01:53:28

This Topic was moved here from General Mast Cell Disorder Discussion by DeborahW, Founder.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

NMLiz
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 08/29/13 at 06:14:06

Just found information on the tmsforacure.org home page on ordering ketotifen directly from the manufacturer, via a program set up just for patients with mast cell disorders. Our doc seems to prefer it to using a compounding pharmacy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print