Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fasting ? (Read 3601 times)
zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Fasting ?
08/24/13 at 07:26:53

Listmates,

OK, I'll admit this is a bit of a strange topic.  

But, I have a history of experience with fasting (pre-masto), and I was wondering about it now.  I know there are many here for whom this topic will be inappropriate given their medical condition.   So with that acknowledged, two years ago, a friend mentioned a type of fast called "dry fasting".  In dry fasting neither water, nor food, is consumed.   They related that it was MUCH easier than drinking water while fasting, and it gave the digestive system a complete rest, since it does not even have to absorb water.  I was curious and tried it.   I fasted for 44 hrs. dry with complete ease, much easier than if I consumed water.  

I am coming up in October on 2 yrs. of fasting 36-40 hours per week dry.   My longest has been 64 hours (and I was in complete comfort).  I cannot say whether the practice helps or hurts me.   I believe it has helped my digestive system, and I have actually gained weight doing this (I'm too thin).   But my other symptoms occasionally seem worse overall.  (A close family member, who is not sick, also has gained weight with regular, weekly dry fasting.)  

I know there are a number of intermittent fasting regimens that are becoming popular now, so the whole thing is not too far out, I suppose  

Is there anyone here who has direct experience with fasting and masto ?   Speculation is also welcome.   It's all an experiment in life for me, but I don't want to be doing anything stupid in regards to the long term given my masto problems.  (I'm afraid to mention all this to my physician, btw.  I don't want to be referred to shrink.)

Todd in Tenn.

P.S.  I have gone off my meds during all my fasts.   But in October, I plan to begin experimenting with taking a small amount of meds and water during my fast to see how that goes.   One of my worst problems I believe is the mild depressive effects of going off Doxepin cold turkey (even just 30mg/day), and also some masto symptoms bothering me if I am being triggered.

P.S.S.   I have searched a great deal on the internet and found no medical reference (annotated) that says, "Humans can only live 3 days without water"   That is actually a myth, I believe.   I was not in the least bothered by my 64 hour fast, personally.    And a person I know well, related to me in good confidence that, when they fasted 9 days dry they were never bothered, except by a little fatigue, and they were never thirsty... never that is, until they were thirsty.    Apparently, there is a phase change when the body decides it is time to break the fast.   Then your thirst will return naturally.  I was told the signal is unmistakable.   They went 9 days without water with no thirst or difficulty.  But then in 9 days + 10 minutes they said, they were suddenly ravenously THIRSTY !   They had to have water, and they had to have it right that very minute.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Fasting ?
Reply #1 - 08/25/13 at 07:22:33

I'm no expert on fasting, but have had some experience with it.  Some people have symptoms from any type of stress on the body, including low blood sugar or even a minimal amount of dehydration.  Those things can cause me to have masto symptoms.  If that's not the case for you, it helps you feel better, and your doctor doesn't think it's harmful, then why not?  I find that when my symptoms are stable, my blood sugar stays more stable, and I can food fast for a day, but have to drink water.

There are two issues that should be talked over with your doc, too.  One would be the weight issue.  Intermittent fasting is being recommended as a weight loss tool, as well as a wellness tool.  It sounds as though you don't need to lose any more weight, and it would be good to check with your doc about that.  The weight gain during fasting could be due to the resting of your GI from things that cause inflammation and malabsorption.  Working on healing your GI could help you long-term in a number of ways.  There are a lot of suggestions on this forum for doing that.  Do you know what foods trigger your symptoms?  Have you tried a low-histamine or other elimination diet?

There other issue is the doxepin.  I don't believe cold-turkeying is a good idea with that medicine, but again, check with your doc or pharmacist. You might be able to substitute by taking liquid antihistamines during the fast.  They wouldn't require water.

Joan

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/25/13 at 09:39:32

Good information Joan.  Thanks.

I know my gut is messed up, and I have tried everything I can think of for years.   The only things that help are Chromolyn Sodium, my other anti-histamines.   I am basically on a low-histamine diet.  I actually "discovered" that by paying attention to my body when I ate, and also doing elimination dieting.  Then when I read the list of high histamine foods it was like, "Hey, that's all the foods that really bother me !"

We'll see.   Today is my fast day.   I'm actually getting bored with doing it every week.

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 08/25/13 at 10:00:45

I fast on a regular basis for religious reasons.  I wasn't sure I would be able to do it with a mast cell disorder... and some days I can't.  The longest I've gone is about 16 hours, which is tough!  My intestines are happy, but I get really HUNGRY... and some days I have to stop because of nausea, headache, abdominal pain, etc...  I'm very careful to take all my normal medications before/after the fasting period.  This year I learned that I feel better if I add salt to my meals, which probably helps to keep my blood pressure up Smiley  I'm also extra careful about triggers, especially heat and sunlight.  I'm like a vampire, lol.

I do think there are significant physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits to fasting, but personally... I wouldn't fast for more than 24 hours.   I also wouldn't recommend it unless you're stable, can recognize the early warning signs of an attack (if you're a shocker), and are prepared to break your fast if necessary.

Good topic to bring up!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print