MASTO & KIDNEYS (Read 1708 times)
redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

MASTO & KIDNEYS
07/21/13 at 06:24:12

HELP
MASTO/KIDNEY

I am hoping that some one of you masto folks can give me a clue as to what is happening with me...
in April I had what was thought to be a bad bladder infection...took and went to doctor with a urine sample...now the sample was dark..and the tech ask me if I was taking anything new etc..answer no..tech said there is something different in the sample..after a round of med urine normal

middle of June...stricken with 12 hours of bad stomach cramping and back..nausea..urine back to same color..etc..took sample to doctor office as she was out but they would call her...same remark from tech..meds given for bladder infection..again and sudden allergic to med have taken many times before..changed meds ...urine returned to normal

this past Tuesday..sudden attack of cramping very sick...cramping..to bed..urine bad color...slept until afternoon Wednesday..could only eat toast and water..Thursday urine color little better...Friday..could eat a little..urine almost back to normal...Saturday morning urine back to normal
so I sat myself down for a long talk..even got out a daily book planner and started writing down what I could remember from April into June and this last week..
and this is my question..
I am thinking that this dark urine and cramping is a "masto attack" ???? usually my attacks are the shock kind...but according to the info I wrote down..maybe that is what it is...no symptoms of bladder infection as urgency etc...just the stomach cramping..

next question..
I have always been told and read etc..that the only thing that would/can stop an masto de-granulation is epi...which I have several pens...so if this is a masto attack should I or could I use my epi??

last question...
can using a epi pen cause problems if this is some kind of other attack...

yes I am keeping a journal for each day to just see if this is possible..
I am hoping to have a visit to talk to my doctor for question etc..next week..
urine still normal this day...everything else is calm...
and this spell in June/July caused me to cancel my eye surgery..thought my body just could not handle more stress.
you can read masto and kidneys online articles but I have always found the best info from a fellow masto
thanks in advance

redbird

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: MASTO & KIDNEYS
Reply #1 - 07/21/13 at 18:43:45

Hi Redbird!

Sorry for the episodes!  They're miserable and worse is when there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it all!!

A while ago the authorities would tell you that you can not get mastocytosis of the kidneys without fibrosis and so they would nicely dismiss any kind of issues you would have seeing that this is exceedingly rare and unusual to happen.   Well, recent research implicates the mast cell and the mediators in causing renal fibrosis and thus kidney failure.  For those who have systemic mastocytosis this is how the possible eventual proliferation of the MCs into the kidneys would then occur once fibroisis has sent it.   However, for those of us who don't have SM, our kidneys do take a beating but without anybody considering anything out of the ordinary.  There is one article which Dr. Molderings connects kidney stones to masto, so this is a possibility in your case.   But I would think that your kidneys are acting up as a direct connection to the mediators and the constant, but extremely slow wearing attack they are causing to your kidneys.  

Now, as to what you can do about it?  GOOD QUESTION!!   And since there is not a single researcher out there who is looking at the kidney in mastocytosis, excepting Molderings, you and the rest of us are up a creek without anybody knowing what to do about it.  

I, however, have ONE nephrologist researcher who has some suspicions as to what it is and how to help your kidneys, but it's only one doctor and looking at my case, so I can't even say that it will help anybody other than me.  And even then, this doctor us also unsure as to how much it might help me cause he's waiting for us to gain more understanding to the rest of my case in order to figure this out better.

Okay, here goes.   The nephrologist working with me thinks that the mediators are leaving my kidneys vulnerable and thereby open for attack.  He feels that the anaphylaxis and constant mediator attack as well as my case being auto immune in nature is wearing down the levels of cysteine which is protective to the kidney.   So, he  recommended that I take N-Aceteylcysteine 600 mg once a day for about a week or two as a means to rebuild those levels.  Sure enough, this helps me!!!  I takes the cloudy urine and intermittant pain and makes it totally disappear!   When I've regained that balance then I take the medicine at lower doses, 150mg about once ever 3 or 4 days.   This helps to keep things balanced.  

There is no way to know if this will help you.  Thankfully N-acetylcysteine is not really "medication" in that we have cysteine being produced in our bodies anyway.  This medication is a known expectorante and wonderful for the lungs when you've had a bad cold.  It is being tested for other off-label uses and is being considered excellent as a "suppliment" being that it is more like taking vitamines and minerals.  Yet whether or not you can tolerate it is also an issue.  It has an orange color and flavoring and if you react to those things, you may end up reacting to it in it's more popular form - packets of granulated powder to be mixed with water.

It's not much to go on, Red, but at least it's a beginning.

As to the epi, this is something that you really MUST speak with your cardiologist about.  Once we go over our mid-50s this becomes another issue as to whether your heart can handle the epinephrine itself.  I know, we're between a rock and a hardplace - what's worse for us, the strain of anaphylaxis or the strain of epinephrine????   I really don't know and only your doctor is going to have that answer for you.

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: MASTO & KIDNEYS
Reply #2 - 07/23/13 at 13:57:48

We masto patients are similiar but not always respond to the same med or treatment. Here is my history with Kidneys/Masto problems.

While I was diagnosed with masto (SM) in 2010,  I had chronic UTIs begining in 2009. The urine culture was always positive for Klebsiella. I was given various antibiotics. I reacted to many of these and got to the point where I was hospitalised to be able to et antibiotics IV with solu-medrol (Prednisone) at the same time. They were too afraid I would go into shock if they didnt keep me under watch.

The end result was, I got Prednisone from my DR to cover me IF I went into shock at home, so I didnt need to go into the hospital for antibiotics anymore, I can take them at home. I was too reactive to Sulfur drugs so I avoid them 100%. Other antibiotics I take, I take 1/2 doses and take it 2 times longer than most people. That seems to take care of most infections with me.

As far as Masto and UTIs--Most of us have Interstitial Cystitis, which is where you will feel as if you have a UTI (bladder spasms) but no bacteria is present in the urine. Urologists have actually tracked mast cells migrating from the GI Tract (during episodes of reacting) to the Bladder. It took 4 days! So, Masto patients usually have frequent UTIs and also IC.---Which means we feel as if we have an infection much of the time.

This is probably more information than you needed LOL, Hope it helps!
Hugs
Ramona

page 5, topic 170
http://www.ichelp.org/page.aspx?pid=797
''NEUROGENIC CYSTITIS INDUCED BY COLONIC IRRIGATION RESULTS IN INCREASED UROTHELIAL PERMEABILITY THAT PARALLELS BLADDER MASTOCYTOSIS AND HYPERACTIVITY.''

Scientific Highlights at the AUA in the field of Interstitial
Cystitis, 2008
Pain Fiber Sensitivity Correlates with Length of IC Symptoms
Colon-Bladder Connection May Explain Mast Cells and Leaky Bladder Lining
Mast Cells Promote Pain
Alpha Estrogen Receptor May Play Role in IC Symptoms, Pain
Bladder Autoimmunity Produces IC-like Condition

They are theorizing now that IC may  actually be, a mast cell reaction.

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print