Send Topic Print
Mineral oil (Read 3749 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Mineral oil
07/18/13 at 08:19:45

Hi! Posting fanatic here!
Just wondering if anyone has a reaction to mineral oil. I'm still on a search for a moisturizer I can tolerate, I finally just got cosmetic mineral oil, but I've been feeling squirrelly. Thinking maybe it's the culprit. I didn't use it last night, and I'm feeling better, actually.
Topical things and inhalants really seem to get me worse than anything!
Wish I didn't live in a dry, hot desert, then I'd try and go without!
Modification***I've been trying to eat "simple" to avoid food triggers since I'm not sure what they are, except tomato. Yesterday I had oatmeal for breakfast and felt terrible all day. I woke up feeling really good, ate oatmeal for a late breakfast early lunch, and now I feel terrible.
Is oatmeal a trigger for some people? I was eating it thinking I was eating benign food since it's on the low histamine diet, but maybe not good for me. My head feels like its going to explode!
Thanks for reading all my posts!
« Last Edit: 07/18/13 at 12:42:05 by Britt »  

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: Mineral oil
Reply #1 - 07/19/13 at 05:53:50

Ack!!  Mineral oil is a PETROLEUM product!!  I would be surprised if you _didn't_ react to it, as sensitive as you seem to be!

Here are a few things I use or have used that you might look at.  I've gotten all of these at Sephora.  If you don't have a Sephora near you, you can order online.  If you look at these items online, for the most part Sephora lists all of the ingredients on their website.  There are also lots of reviews, so you can often tell right away that the product isn't for the super-sensitive.  The nice thing with Sephora is, if you don't like it or react to it, you can return it, no questions asked.  It really is that easy.

Josie Maran Argan Oil: Get a small bottle to try it ($15), and a little goes a long way.  It has basically no smell and doesn't feel sticky or greasy.  Really nice stuff, and only one ingredient.  It does make my face a bit shiny, but if it's that or nothing, I'd use it.  http://www.sephora.com/argan-oil-P218700?skuId=1121797

REN Frankincense Revitalising Night Cream:  This is the one that I have used, and you might have an issue with it because it really does have a scent of frankincense.  However, you should look at (and read reviews for) some of the other REN products.  They tend to have the least number of nasty ingredients of any products I've found.  They are, unfortunately, rather pricey, but they work. http://www.sephora.com/moisturizer-skincare#!categoryName=moisturizer-skincare&p...

FAB (First Aid Beauty) Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer and Ultra Repair Cream.  I've found these to be very benign even though they contain dimethicone, which is supposed to be bad and prevent skin from breathing.  The Face Moisturizer is rather light, but the Ultra Repair Cream (particularly the formulation in the small tube which is $12) is quite thick and creamy. It does have a slight scent from the eucalyptus, which the face stuff doesn't have.
http://www.sephora.com/moisturizer-skincare#!categoryName=moisturizer-skincare&p...

Hope you find something that works and don't have to keep putting yourself through all of the trial and error!

Oh, and I have no problem with oatmeal...eat it every morning.   However, I'm eating instant oatmeal, not the real stuff.  I find that for some things, like rice, bread, etc., the less "whole grain" and more processed it is (like boil-in-bag rice), the less I react to it.  If you are eating instant oatmeal, did you make sure there's nothing else in it that you're reacting to?  For instance, does it have cinnamon in it?  Cinnamon is a "warm spice" and thus on the high histamine side of things.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 07/19/13 at 16:20:13

Thanks Kat:) yes, petroleum doesn't sound like a mast friendly ingredient! Lol, but boy is it in a lot of stuff. It's especially in the dermatologist recommended, hypoallergenic, for sensitive skin people. So weird.
I thank you so much for your recommendations on moisturizers, but I seem to be sensitive to EVERYTHING. Argan oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, aloe, lanolin, coconut oil, and now probably petroleum and ANYTHING with even the slightest fragrance. I can't even use dove unscented soap because it does have a slight scent to it.
This is so frustrating. I don't know how much more of this constant triggering I can take! Ugh! I need to get a handle on this.
Thankfully I have an appointment with Dr. Chin on July 29th. I am praying that he will be able to get some of these symptoms under control.
I have a prescription for cromolyn waiting for me at the pharmacy, but I'm scared to death to pick it up! I'm really worried about side effects. Thinking I should wait until after I see Dr. Chin to start. He said he'd like me to start before coming to see how I'm doing on it when I see him, but he said if I wanted to wait, that was fine too.
Is cromolyn really that tough of a drug to go on?
Is keteofin (sp ?) a better choice? Do they do the same thing?

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/28/13 at 13:24:07

I can't tell you whether you would be reacting to mineral oil, or not (as there are typically other ingredients in the mineral oil, like vitamin E), but, with that said, you shouldn't be "afraid" of mineral oil because it is derived from petroleum (or coal, ergo "mineral oil").  After all, petrol and coal were/are "natural" products.  They were once algae and conifer forests, dinosaurs, etc..  (Kind of funny to be rubbing dinosaur grease on your face to make it look more youthful, but that's a side issue.  Wink  Mineral oil is a actually a very "pure", and typically benign substance, from the paraffin side of petroleum, if I am not mistaken.   Nathala being the other side (think moth balls).   So, petroleum derived paraffin and mineral oil are usually OK.   But other things, like moth balls, are not.  

I don't typically react to small amounts of mineral oil on my hands.  But then again, I'm not slathering it on my face everyday.   There is a deodorized Coconut Oil from Omega Nutrition that is healthy for eating and slathering that I do well with in both regards.   I do NOT do well with non-deodorized coconut oil !

Hope that helps some,
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/28/13 at 16:23:07

I do not do well with coconut oil either!! What do you mean by deodorized coconut oil?
As far as the petroleum, I'm not sure. I really does seem to be a trigger for me. I was using eucerin with petroleum in it for a long time and never thought much of it (but never felt well) but then I tried an Avenno eczema lotion and I had a definite reaction to it. It has oat and some other kind of kernel oil in it as well as petroleum. Does anyone else have issues with petrochemicals? (Petroleum based)
Definitely something I will bring up to the doctor tomorrow.
I bought rice chex and rice crispies thinking they would be benign food for me, both both made my mouth break out in sores.
So I'm really at a crossroads trying to figure out what does and doesn't trigger me. It's so frustrating. How do you figure out your triggers???

On a side note, just to let off some frustration, the hotel I'm staying at in Orange County to see Dr. Chin pumps some kind of a citrus smell throughout the building. Ugh! I would leave, but we're staying here for free on points. I wish everywhere would go frangrances free! Wouldn't that be wonderful for us! Cheesy I've heard there are a few fragrance free towns in Canada, and from what I understand, all state buildings in Portland are fragrance free!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print