Send Topic Print
Ketotifen eye drops (Read 3850 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Ketotifen eye drops
06/16/13 at 08:59:44

A few weeks ago I was in Las Vegas for a conference.  I did pretty well (amazing... I don't think I could have handled it three or four years ago!), but my eyes were really irritated by all the cigarette smoke.  I bought some ketotifen eye drops and they were VERY helpful.  I noticed that the normal dose is "no more than one drop twice per day."  That was enough for me, but it got me wondering... could masto people use more, just like we use greater-than-normal doses of other antihistamines?  

Oh... another ketotifen question that comes to mind: if you're taking it as your mast cell stabilizer, do you drop one of your other H1s to compensate for the antihistamine action?

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Ketotifen eye drops
Reply #1 - 06/16/13 at 11:24:25

Interesting!! Where do you find ketofin eye drops? Since I'm kinda managing my own meds right now, maybe it would be worth a shot!! About a year ago I bought Nasalcrom as a way to "try" gastrocom (somebody on autoimmune urticaria forum mentioned using it)  I don't recall exactly how I felt, but I remember not liking the feeling. Wonder if I could do the drops??
Please keep us updated Heather! Have you used them since being home?
Smiley

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #2 - 06/17/13 at 05:04:01

Heather:
When I added Ketotifen, I did not change my other meds. I did end up changing from zrytec to allegra as was getting pretty tired. Ketotifen eye drops used to be at Walgreens but not at ours anymore. I use Refresh tears daily now. So don't have many eye bad days. But when I did they helped me some but didn't help me like Pataday. It's expensive but does it work & fast. I use Nasalcrom when I get a sinus headache with good success. But wouldn't see it as being a way to start gastrocrom. I have a question since we are talking in that area. Anybody have a med for dry nose besides vaseline that I use?
MikeV

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/17/13 at 05:33:53

I've been using ketotifen eye drops (Alaway) for a while now.  I stopped using Restasis for diagnosed "dry eyes" and I actually find these help my eyes nearly as much, so I'm guessing my eyes weren't so much dry as reacting.

I had the same thought about upping the dosage the way we do with our other antihistamines and my doctor said that I could possibly increase to 3 drops a day, but she'd rather I didn't.  They are different from H1s and H2s, so apparently we can't just use them like candy.   Wink  I had so many things to discuss during that visit I didn't ask what the problem with more might be.

Mike: I would avoid vaseline for the nose (I know, I have broken down and used it in the winter too), because it is a petroleum product and you may react to it.  I use Alba's Un-petroleum jelly which is vegetable oil based and very similar to vaseline.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/17/13 at 12:23:33

My mind has been spinning with questions lately!! I'm interested in the ketofen eye drops.....can I throw this out there...do you think it would be worth trying without a doctors approval. Wondering if I could try my first tiny dose of ketofin through a drop in the eye! Or am I being stupid?
Also, Heather, thank you for reminding me of the bad effects of petroleum. I've been using eucerin cream ( fragrance free, salicylate free) and I'm not sure if its effecting me, but it does contain petroleum. Maybe something I should back off and see what happens! Do you mind me asking what moisturizer you use for your face?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 06/17/13 at 13:02:38

I haven't used the eye drops since I've been home... I haven't needed to Smiley  

I bought the drops at Walgreens (store brand).  A few months before my first episode of anaphylaxis... before I knew I had a mast cell disorder... I was diagnosed with dry eyes and given a Rx for Restasis.  It worked great.  In fact, I was able to stop using it after a few months.  Now the only time I use eye drops is when I'm travelling or I'm really dried out in the winter.  I've also used Refresh and TheraTears.  Ketotifen eye drops don't require a Rx and I don't see any harm in experimenting.

@Mike... have you ever tried saline nasal spray?  It works for me.  I use the "Little Noses" spray that I found when my kids were babies.  Cheap and simple... no preservatives.

@Brigitte... the best moisturizers for me are argan oil, shea butter, and coconut oil.  I've also been able to use Eucerin, Aveeno (unscented), "Say Yes to Carrots," and "Say Yes to Cucumbers."  Normal scented products give me dermatitis.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo