Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High Choesterol - Can Mast Cell Disease Be the Cause? (Read 6467 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
High Choesterol - Can Mast Cell Disease Be the Cause?
06/14/13 at 01:01:43

I have read a book by a cardiologist named Caldwell Esselstyn. He firmly believes that those people whose cholesterol is 160 or below and whose LDL's are 80 or below are "heart attack proof". It's in a lecture on Youtube, and in his book.

It is compelling evidence.

Since I have always tested high for cholesterol and blood fats, I decided to almost follow all his recommendations in eating.  He expects a person with the blood fats problem to go totally vegetarian with no added oils in anything.

I kept eating chicken and the occasional salmon, but otherwise followed his type of diet. I also started taking my 5 mg pill of Crestor for high cholesterol. My outcome is equivacal. I feel much weaker and my blood pressure is lower, maybe too low for me. And after 3 weeks of this tortuous experience of pills and new diet, I still have a cholesterol of 199 and supposedly an LDL of 120 something.

So......can mast cells play a part in all this? I am so discouraged right now from trying so hard and still finding that I am not heart-attack proof.
« Last Edit: 06/14/13 at 03:24:41 by Futurehope »  

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: High Choesterol - Can Mast Cell Disease Be the Cause?
Reply #1 - 06/14/13 at 05:12:21

I don't think three weeks is nearly long enough to make any real difference in your cholesterol, particularly from a diet stand point.  And vegetarianism alone isn't the answer.  We're vegetarian, though my husband sneaks an occassional chicken dish when eating out, and he still had high cholesterol.  The doctor said it was all the carbs he eats.  (He loves cereal any time of day.)  He cut back on carbs and after about eight months his numbers were much better - not perfect - without any meds.  As an added bonus, he lost a lot of weight too.

Your situation may also be genetic.  Some people are just prone to high cholesterol, or high triglycerides.

Personally, I don't think there's any way to be heart attack proof, just to do your best to eat well.  With the current state of my gut, I am doing anything but eating well, consuming mainly carbs and way too much sugar, but at this point getting any food into my system is more important than eating the right foods.  You have to pick your battles.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #2 - 06/14/13 at 10:52:57

You have a point.  My body reacts to so many different foods, I'm lucky if I can figure out a meal where either my bladder does not burn or my esophagus does not burn.  Many foods can cause me bladder pain or severe heartburn, so in my case, figuring out what to eat is a big problem.

I guess I will have to rely on Crestor to help with the blood fats. I could always starve and have great blood cholesterol readings, but that won't do.  I don't want to starve to live.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 06/14/13 at 12:59:26

Does heart disease run in your family?  Why are you (apparently) so desperate to make yourself heart-attack proof?  Your own body is perfectly capable of making cholesterol (even if you stopped eating fat, which I wouldn't recommend)... and like Kat said, genetics play a big role.  I'd also like to point out that cholesterol in your blood vessels is not a big deal as long as your inflammation levels (CRP, ESR, etc...) are normal.  Drugs like Crestor have risks.  They're not nearly as safe as the medications we take for mast cell symptoms.  Are you sure it's a necessary risk in your particular case?  I would think twice.

Heather

ps - How is your HDL level?  How about the ratio of HDL to LDL?  My HDL runs low, but the ratio is always perfect.

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #4 - 06/14/13 at 13:13:40

I have elevated CRP and have had elevated cholesterol for as long as they have measured it.  My LDL's are higher than they should be as well.

The heart problems that took my mother did not take her until 86 years old.  That seems to be the age at death of many of my relatives including father, mother and grandparent.

I'm not particularly afraid of heart attacks in particular.  But I would like to think I'm doing my part to prevent coronary artery disease, which is an epidemic in this country. Also, plaque was listed as showing up on my abdominal aorta on a CT scan of my abdomen a few years back.

The stories and the writing of Caldwell Esselstyn impacted my interest on the subject.
« Last Edit: 06/15/13 at 00:37:22 by Futurehope »  

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 06/15/13 at 13:59:34

Just because something is an "epidemic" doesn't mean it's a problem for you personally Smiley  I find it's very important to remember that I'm not normal and what works for "most" people might not work for me (in fact, there's a good chance it won't).  Case in point: on the advice of their doctor, my parents take baby aspirin and fish oil to prevent heart disease.  It works for them, but I can't take either one... blood thinners are a major trigger for me.

86 seems like a pretty good lifespan!  It sounds like you have good genes going for you.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #6 - 06/16/13 at 00:12:46

Starflower,

It is nice of you to say what you did about my genes, but I am certainly sicker than anyone else I know in my family.

Also, since I was told that they saw plaque in my abdominal aorta in 2011, I am not going to "help" the process by ingesting fats that my body obviously cannot handle.

Yes, it is very difficult with all my food sensitivities, so I will do the best I can.  That is all I can do.

But, I appreciate that we have our unique problems compared to everyone else.

IP Logged

Jennifer R.
Tutor

I am not a mushroom!
McAlester, OK
Reply #7 - 07/27/13 at 18:08:34

I read this a while back in some news article, thought it was very interesting. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18662284/

My Mother btw had perfect cholesterole eating lots of eggs and cheese and not very many carbs and she hates vegetables and fruit. But the she decided to eat a "healthy" low fat diet so of course you end up eating more carbs and her cholesterol jumped way up. She went back to her old way of eating and has never gone low fat again.  If you're looking to reduce inflammation for vascular health consider the good healthy fats out there and stay away from sugar and stick to complex carbs.  I had horrible CRP numbers and didn't eat very much sugar but was eating a lot of white flour having just moved to Louisiana (yummy! Pasta and jambalaya!) and since I changed back to eating lots of healthy fat and complex carbs the numbers are much much lower. Of course due to EDS, ME, ect It won't be totally gone but at least I'm not adding fuel to the fire.  Avocados and coconut oil are staples in my kitchen now and I use butter and lard too.  My cholesterol is in range and my vascular system is in great shape. (have several tests and scans this year to prove it)  Also it really pays not to abuse your body with smoking, drugs or alcohol. The only people on either side of my family who passed away prematurely all had abuse some substance or other.  I actually sat down with my Mom and asked her about everyone's past and when and how they died and thats when we realized that. The ones who didn't are still going strong even with chronic illness, no cancer, no vascular problems. I plan on outliving my great grandmother who recently passed at 101yrs.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #8 - 07/28/13 at 13:03:21

Jen,

What is a good healthy fat? Can you name some? Thanks.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 07/29/13 at 17:57:07

Hi Futurehope,

I saw your question and thought I'd throw out a few suggestions.  Heart healthy fats include any of the fats that are mono or polyunsaturated.  If it's saturated fat, it can clog arteries and increase cholesterol levels (usually animal fats like butter, whole milk, fatty meats, etc...)  Some of the healthy fats are found in olive oil, canola oil, flaxseed, fish--especially salmon, nuts, other seeds, and avocados.  Those things usually have omega-3 fatty acids as well, which are good for you Smiley

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #10 - 07/30/13 at 11:08:33

Thanks, Sarah.  It helps to know which fats are the good ones.

As for the idea that maybe mast cell disease impacts my ability to handle fats ( it may be affecting me only, not everybody), I cannot starve to death in order to avoid fats.  So, I will do the best I can with the body I have.  That is all I can do.

IP Logged

Jennifer R.
Tutor

I am not a mushroom!
McAlester, OK
Reply #11 - 08/01/13 at 08:06:07

Please read this information on fats...
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/skinny-on-fats

I no longer allow canola oil in the house. (I cooked with canola and olive oil when my numbers were bad) I only cook with coconut oil, lard, and butter. I never cook with olive oil now but I do use it to make salad dressing.  My numbers are now in range. Just proving Mary Enig and Sally Fallon have been saying for a while.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #12 - 08/10/13 at 11:04:00

Guess what gang..... it HAS already been proven that MC disorders do indeed create lipidimia.  There are two such articles and others which clearly link masto and liver involvement and lipid alterations.   There are others which are within research and are showing the involvement of the MCs themselves and how they can produce these changes.  

So, YES, masto does indeed cause lipid alterations and our doctors need to know this!  By stabilizing the mast cell itself, there is hope to change this issue.  Deal with the root of the problem - diet is not the major issue as our entire gastrointestinal systems are usually affected by this disease.

Lisa

Hepatic involvement in mastocytosis: clinicopathologic correlations in 41 cases.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7557867

New aspects of liver abnormalities as part of the systemic mast cell activation syndrome.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18662284

The article below shows how the MCs create lipid problems within the mouse and this doesn't take much to take it a step further.

Mast cell activation in vivo impairs the macrophage reverse cholesterol transport pathway in the mouse.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21212401

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #13 - 08/11/13 at 00:40:29

Wow!  I've always thought I could stop eating all together, and all my problems would be gone!  Well, of course they would be gone: I'd be dead from starvation.

All kidding aside, yes, I could starve myself and "try" to lower my cholesterol.  But more importantly, maybe getting my MC's under control would help?  I'd prefer that to eating a very low fat diet (which is difficult).

Oh yes.  I must add my 2 cents worth.  All the meds that people are given to lower cholesterol can cause other issues as far as I'm concerned. The other issues can be worse.  I prefer to try to lower my cholesterol by getting my mast cells to stabilize.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 08/11/13 at 10:38:09

My doctor has talked about putting me in Lipitor. My cholesterol is high, but I'm afraid if what this med might do to me, especially after reading your post  Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print