Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I feel so stupid right now (Read 2127 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

I feel so stupid right now
06/06/13 at 16:40:31

So I've come to terms with having a salicylate sensitivity as one of my main triggers, I was just starting to feel better from lubing myself up with sal full sunscreen last weekend, and what do I do today? I put coconut oil all over my hair (my wig, whole other story!). It was looking shabby and I saw this as a treatment for human hair wigs (and hair in general) I started feeling nauseated and my stomach having stabbing pains. Now my face is swollen and my throat feels "thick". I just had a really bad dizzy spell.
I can't believe I did that. Can I take extra antihistamines to help settle things down?? I'm really nervous right now. Trying to avoid a trip to the hospital. Grrrrr...... I was just starting to feel better.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: I feel so stupid right now
Reply #1 - 06/07/13 at 04:28:26

Hi Bridgette--sorry to hear about your troubles.  I would take extra antihistamines if it were me.  When my throat is thick, even 1 teaspoon of Benadryl helps and if I need more, I can take more.  I also take an extra Zantac.  I don't know if you can take those meds, but they really help me, and if my symptoms start coming back after a few hours, I can take more Benadryl. Sometimes I take 150mg of Zantac 4 times/day per my doctor's advice.  I do think that helps, because then I take something every 4 hours.  I hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon!  Anything you can do to relieve your stress and tension when you feel like that might help you too.  Good luck! Smiley Sarah

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 06/14/13 at 10:08:10

Hello Bridgette!
I agree with Sarah and say that ANYTIME, you are feeling 'weird', take whatever antihistamine makes you feel better the most. One other thing you might want to take into consideration--I react the same way, except it is to the sunscreen having PABA in it. Whatever you are reacting to, I hope you are feeling better now Smiley
hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 06/15/13 at 08:57:41

Thanks Ramona!! I think I may have been reacting to the aloe in the sunscreen as well as the hidden salicylate ingredient.
I also think that I may have reacted to some chocolate gelato I ate the other night. I've suspected chocolate, but have yet to come to a real good conclusion on this. I guess I'll just stop eating it!!
This whole food thing is getting confusing to me. I'm following certain "rules" of the llow salicylate diet, but that doesn't seem to be my answer, as garlic is ok on a low sal diet, but I'm pretty sure it's a no no for me. Yet I cannot take or drink anything herbal, and aloe is a big trigger for me. I suppose I have to go back to the notion that we are all unique and react to different things. Can anyone give me any experiences with almond milk?
I've been tinkering with my antihistamines to see what works best. Right now I'm taking Zyrtec am, Allegra 60 afternoon and Allegra 60 early evening. Seems be be working so so. I tried two Zyrtec a day, and I think it made me feel off. But it's worth another shot! I've never tried Claritin. Wonder how that would be? I know it's considered weaker than the other two. Anyone out there use Claritin?
I tried singular and I swear it gave me a terrible bronchial cold, so I stopped taking it. I probably should have given it more time.
**I just googled singulair side effects, and flu and respatory infections are on the list, but it doesn't mention whether these symptoms would go away with time. Hmmmm.....????

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print