Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pre-Medicate vs Post-Medicate Effectiveness (Read 3294 times)
Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Pre-Medicate vs Post-Medicate Effectiveness
05/10/13 at 06:52:22

I'm assuming taking antihistamines after exposure to a trigger is kind of like putting on a helmet after getting hit in the face by a baseball. Sure taking anti-histamine after a trigger will help block further histamine receptor activation, but a lot of activation has already happened and I don't think anti-histamines reverse that and so you just have to wait for your body to slowly recover from that on it's own right?

Does anyone have experience with pre vs post medication? It'll be a while before I can test it myself and so I'm just really eager to know if there's a huge difference because post-medicating didn't seem to help my symptoms even after several hours. I'm thinking if I had pre-medicated it may have blocked most of my symptoms.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Pre-Medicate vs Post-Medicate Effectiveness
Reply #1 - 05/10/13 at 10:07:18

Definitely agree

Great analogy!!

I have been in scary situations throwing antihistamines at acute reactions

Whereas when I was fully premedicated for surgery there wasn't a tense moment. My mind was blown.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 05/11/13 at 03:22:52

I agree that prevention is better than dealing with an attack (especially if you're a shocker), but... I wouldn't underestimate the value of antihistamines to treat breakthrough symptoms.  

Here's an example that I experienced yesterday...

I went with my daughter's class on a field trip to a cave (it was SO COOL... I'm really glad I went).  The worst part was the bus ride... 1.5 hours in each direction, sitting in a too-small seat surrounded by a bunch of fidgety 1st and 2nd graders.  Oh yeah... and did I mention that this cave was in the foothills of the Appalachians?  Yeah.  It was a very twisty, nausea-inducing trip, even for someone without a mast cell disorder.  Anyway... I prepared by pre-medicating before each segment of the trip with an extra 20mg of Zyrtec and 300mg of Zantac.  That was fine on the way out.  It wasn't quite enough on the way back... I was feeling pretty nauseated by the time we pulled into the parking lot.  Fortunately, I keep a bottle of Pepcid Complete in my car.  It has calcium (for some immediate relief) plus a dose of H2.  That was enough to get rid of my lingering symptoms and I went on my merry way.  (The extra good news... my daily regimen keeps me on a pretty even keel, so this episode never went past the "nausea" stage.)

Of course it's better not to have an attack at all, but it doesn't take as long as you might think for antihistamines to relieve your symptoms after degranulation.  My first big attack (which involved a 911 call and an ambulance ride) was treated with nothing more than prednisone, Benadryl, and Pepcid.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 05/11/13 at 03:33:01

Bruce, I disagree with you. It is essential that once you are exposed to a trigger that you take the necessary antihistamines to stop the symptoms. I can completely eliminate the symptoms by doing that. If I waited for my body to just calm down on its own, I would end up in the ER or be....dead. I go into anaphylaxis, so as you can guess, I am not exaggerating.

It is equally important for those with mast cell disease to be taking daily preventative antihistamines. That improves quality of life immensely. If you know that you are going into a stressful or symptom provoking situation, then it is smart to add the necessary extra antihistamines/meds before going into that situation (as Heather did).

Now, you are correct in that it is harder to get rid of the symptoms than to prevent them. The other trick in getting rid of them is figuring out which combo of meds works best for you. We all respond differently to different meds. For example, last weekend I had a situation occur where I started to trigger dangerously. I took extra zantac and allegra, but that didn't help enough. Finally I had to take some prednisone. Luckily that solved the problem.

Hope this helps!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #4 - 05/11/13 at 14:19:21

Oh sorry, I didn't mean that it's pointless to take antihistamines after you already have symptoms. I see how it sounds that way. I hope this message is clear and correct this time. Smiley

I was saying antihistamines work to prevent inflammation and the continued feeding of inflammation from histamine receptor activation. But as far as I know, they don't, in general, also directly reverse this inflammation once it's there, but of course they will speed up recovery and mitigate the reaction.

I was just thinking that the inflammation that I had from the reaction without pre-medicating, was just very slow for my body to clear. Maybe some peoples' bodies can clear the inflammation quickly after the post-trigger anti-histamines stop the continued feeding of this inflammation.

It's good to know that it's easier to prevent symptoms than to treat them. That's basically what I was asking in a stupid verbose and unnecessarily overcomplicated way. lol I'll have to try pre-medicating as soon as I get the Benadryl delivered.

I was hoping that was the case because Benadryl may be the only med I tolerate since I'm intolerant to 99% of things I've ingested. I was wondering if I should give Zyrtec a try too if Benadryl alone doesn't work well enough for me.

And I know a lot of you guys take meds every day, so what about building up tolerance to them in the sense that they are no longer effective. Does that usually not happen to you guys or do up the dose or alternate meds or what?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 05/12/13 at 02:35:24

In four years of taking daily antihistamines (and a few other things) I haven't noticed any kind of tolerance or loss of effectiveness.  In fact, my body has calmed down to the point where I can do things I thought I would never do again... like exercise! Cool

Benadryl is also a sedative and an anti-emetic (anti-nausea).  In Australia it's sold primarily as a non-habit-forming sedative.  Personally, it only makes me sleepy if I take it when I'm not flaring... like at bedtime.  GOOD STUFF.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #6 - 05/31/13 at 03:41:22

Thanks starflower. The benadryl also seems to not make me very drowsy when I take it after a reaction to something I inhale. I guess because when our symptoms are up there's more histamine in the brain that offsets the anti-histamine Benadryl. Bendaryl seems to help with my brain fog quite a bit too. Does it seem to reduce your brain fog as well? Of course, if I take it when I haven't been having any exposure to triggers then the sedation affects my thinking.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 06/06/13 at 00:53:20

I'm definitely less "foggy" than I was a couple of years ago.  IMO, everything I do to control my mast cell symptoms helps... avoiding triggers, antihistamines, singulair, cromolyn sodium, supplements (vitamins K, C, and B6), etc...  

Brain fog sucks!  It's not life-threatening, but it really interferes with the quality of my life as a mom and a professor Angry

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print