HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newbie (Read 3835 times)
la woman
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

03/23/13 at 08:48:52

hi all! i'm 40 with mast cell issues. mine are very effected by my hormones and histamine foods, chemicals, smells etc....i also have several other hormone related issues. i am considering a hysterectomy and hoping for some insite from those who have been there and done it:) thanks!

IP Logged

Maureen
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
New Jersey
Re: newbie
Reply #1 - 03/24/13 at 12:49:39

Hello la woman,

Did your doctor recommend a hysterectomy?

I had one in my late 30's and it was no picnic, though I will admit I really liked not having to worry about the cycle anymore  lol

I am sure you will get some great advice and lots of support here.

I can help with the support for now as I am quite the newbie myself.

Take very good care,
Maureen

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 03/24/13 at 15:43:45

I had one before I knew I had a mast cell disorder and when no one could figure out what was wrong with me.  Since I had been diagnosed with bad allergies, I did take 50 mg. of Benadryl before the surgery, and I think that helped.

I recommend looking on this site or elsewhere for the REMA protocols.  They need to be followed explicitly before a surgery if you have mast cell dysfunction.  Also, check the lists of medicines to avoid, including anesthesias, and take the list to your anesthesiologist.

Dr. Akin told me there's no reason to avoid a necessary surgery because of SM (which is what I have).

I might be a little more stable since the hysterectomy, but it's not significant.  Others may have had different experiences.  I took hormone replacement (bio-identical estriol only) with great success for about 10 years, and felt very good.  I had had a prior bad experience with Premarin.  It was much too strong for me.

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 03/24/13 at 16:15:43

Welcome to the group, LA Woman!  I hope we can help you!

I'm sorry you are going through such difficulties.  I hope you can get some help from us here.  Your situation is pretty uncommon though.  Yes, your hormones can indeed create confusion and difficulties, but I honestly think you need to speak with an authority about this prior to just going down this road.  I would suggest that you write to Dr. Mariana Castells and ask her for a phone consult.  She will speak with patients over the phone even though they are not hers.   I would also think that your gyno or masto doctor would be able to contact her for you.   You say you are in LA, have you considered going to see Dr. Jason Gotlieb at Stanford?   He is the foremost authority on mastocytosis on the West Coast and he would most definitely be able to help your doctor and even connect with Dr. Castells if necessary.   He fully understands the interaction of the hormones with masto activity and he may be able to recommend other means of dealing with this before going all the way to a hysterectomy.  I know that when patients who are dealing with ovarian cancer and other cancer related treatments they will receive a shot in their abdomen which will stop ovulation and thus menstration and this may be a preferred option.   There is also ablation which can be done to the lining of the uterus to stop the bleeding process and this may help to reduce some of the hormone activity.  So there are more options out there that you may want to consider.    

As to whether life will be easier for you on the other side of the knife, this is not an easy thing to answer.  Some ICU patients have gone that route and it didn't help them, others it has.   Only time will tell, I'm afraid.  Each case is a case of its own.

Hugs!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

la woman
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 03/25/13 at 06:06:39

thank you all sooooo much for the replies!! Lisa, i will absolutely reach out to those docs:) very helpful indeed! i know i'm sounding pretty extreme and desperate even considering the hyst...i just have low quality of life at the moment during the hormone fluctuations. like just this morning i woke up with my heart racing, horrible anxiety etc. and my stress tolerance is nill....do any of you have this low stress tolerance?

if i get a wee bit stressed my hands and feet go cold, i feel like i'm going to pass out and i get nauseated. they i get extreme fatigue, mouth and body tingling etc etc ad nauseum. i'm wondering if it's because i'm not taking real h1 blockers and only herbals....i'm trying to avoid them due to liver disease in my family....thanx for the support:)

IP Logged

la woman
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 03/25/13 at 06:09:32

Hi Joan, you say you took estrogen replacement for 10 years...are you off them now? and if so for how long? thanx!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #6 - 03/25/13 at 17:24:50

I am willing to bet that all of the major issues you are facing are due to the lack of the proper medication regime and that if you were on daily antihistamines and singulair you would find that your period would not be bothering you as much as it does.  

Another thing is that masto patients have issues with liver dysfunction and hyperlipidimia.  Again, if the masto is brought under control, this helps keep the liver functioning properly as well.   If you have a family history of this I am willing to bet that those members also had masto symptoms of some kind!   Why? because although they may not be full blown masto patients, the MCAD could show itself more in those liver problems than it would be in showing allergy and allergy related problems.  

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 03/30/13 at 11:59:58

Hi, la woman and welcome to the board! I have to agree with Lisa. Situations with hormones are so individual that only you can say what is worse--living with your uterus and hormones acting up or opting for surgery, knowing that sometimes mast cells cause problems in areas that were treated for other things.

I can say that I had some nasty problems with heavy bleeding, hypoglycemia and anxiety when I still had my cycle. Once it stopped I did so  much better in feeling stronger, but that is the same time my SM went  active and I have no idea if it was coincidence or not.

I will say that you definitely need some H1 and 2 antihistamines and Zantac, You will probably need something for anxiety (most of us have Xanax or Ativan). You might need a proton pump inhibitor if your have GERD and you might need a mast cell stabilizer --most of us do.

Your mast cells are called the gateway of the immune system, and once it goes wrong, you need to keep an eye open for other possible auto immune problems. Your cold hands--do they swell, turn colors and burn, then go back to normal?? I do that to-- it might be a disorder called Reynauds Syndrome--talk to your DR about all of this ok??

We are here for you and you are gonna be fine now Smiley
hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

la woman
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 04/02/13 at 03:08:10

Awww, thanx so much for the reassurance. i don't seem to have reynauds....i will take in everything you've said and give it some thoughts. for me, i was put on ativan ( a benzodiazapine like xanax) when i first started with these issues and found the rebound anxiety and tolerance issues to be worse than what i started with....i try to deal with the anxiety as naturally as possible. deep breathing, weekly massage, herbs etc. thanx again!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 04/03/13 at 14:21:43

Are you taking any antihistamines? Lisa and Ramona are saying that by taking antihistamines, you may eliminate the symptoms you have written about. Doctors who don't know enough try us on anti-anxiety meds, but the real fix is not those. It is the antihistamines like zyrtec, allegra, and zantac.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print