Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dental work started a flare (Read 2801 times)
gnbailey
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Plano, TX
Dental work started a flare
03/21/13 at 04:19:14

Well, my first dental appointment went fine.  I premedicated and the local anesthetic nor the prepping of the teeth for two crowns caused me any problem.  I was a little reactive in the days that followed but I attributed it to being out of town and the stress of travel.  

Monday I had the permanent crowns placed.  I premedicated but didn't even have any local.  The appointment took an hour and I was non-reactive during the appointment.  But soon after getting home, I started reacting and I have been sick ever since.  I am now in day 3 of this flare.

Has anyone else had a similar reaction to dental crowns?

Could I be reacting to the adhesive they used?  I'm just so frustrated because I had been doing so well since starting Ketotifen! I react but I can usually take care of it with Benadryl and extra H1.

Any insight is welcomed!  I'm not sure what to do.

IP Logged

angelloz
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Dental work started a flare
Reply #1 - 03/21/13 at 06:12:13

Great question!. I recently have had two fillings..the first time all went fine, the second time I went through a terrible flare. It could be the bucket theory or stress, although it would seem the first part  of your crown prep would have been the most stressful. Hope you are slowly improving!
Angelloz

IP Logged

gnbailey
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 03/21/13 at 07:20:39

Thanks Angelloz.  My doc here got in touch with Dr. Afrin and he has suggested:  Prednisone 40mg x 5 days and then taper, Benadryl 50mg every 4 hours and Lorazepam once a day to help break the flare.

I thought I would post his recommendation in case anyone else can use the info.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 03/21/13 at 14:46:33

Did he give you taper instructions?  How long?  How much to go down each day?

Hope you feel better soon!

Joan

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #4 - 03/22/13 at 17:14:37

Hi gnbailey,

I hope you are improving daily!

I find your experience interesting ( I certainly don't mean I am glad it happened) but when I saw Dr. Afrin last summer he had told me he found that some of his patients could have a reaction up to 7 days after a dental procedure.  So I took prednizone with my local docs advice for 5 days.  I do wonder if it is the glue...or maybe there is something in the materials the crowns are made out of.   Tongue

Take care...get better.  Hugs, Lynda

IP Logged

gnbailey
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Plano, TX
Reply #5 - 03/24/13 at 14:00:45

Hi Joan,

The taper that they put me on is Prednisone 40mg x 5 days, 20 mg x 4 days, then 10mg x 2 days.

It has been 6 days and I still have not returned to normal.  Hopefully, this will break soon and some stability will return.

Thanks for the replies and hope all are well!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print