Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idea for carrying Epipens (Read 1993 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Idea for carrying Epipens
03/10/13 at 06:59:44

I usually keep my Epipens in my bag/backpack, which I carry just about everywhere.  When I started exercising in January I rigged up some velcro straps so I could attach them to my water bottle.  Great if you're working out indoors (which I would highly recommend anyway, at least in the beginning).  However... as I've built up stamina to the point where I can actually jog(!!) I realized I would need something more streamlined.

Here's what I found (after much searching on the Internet):

http://www.spibelt.com/

I am in LOVE with this thing.  I got the "high visibility" version... I want people to know it's there in case of emergency.   The regular size can hold one Epipen (just barely)... I bet one of the larger versions would hold more.  It also holds my house key.  The band is a great place to clip my mp3 player.  Even with the Epipen inside, it doesn't bounce around when I'm moving!  Much better than a "fanny pack."

Now if I can just figure out an equally slick device to hold my phone (again, in case of emergency), I'll be totally set Cheesy    

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Re: Idea for carrying Epipens ??and phone
Reply #1 - 03/10/13 at 09:37:55

I bought some stretch fabric and made an open "case" just big enough for my phone to fit snug.  Then I sewed the back part of the case (just the top) to the inside of my jogging pants at the bottom of the waistband....about half way between my side and belly button!  It doesn't move around and its easy to tuck your fingers inside your waistband and just pull it out. Smiley

I got the idea when I borrowed my daughter's army shorts that she runs in!  Wink

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Idea for carrying Epipens
Reply #2 - 03/11/13 at 01:59:05

Way to go!

For jogging which I've also built up to now (YAY US!) I wear a fitted light windbreaker with large pockets and stick in my phone (which I also use for music), Epipens, and Benadryl. I also wear my medicalert bracelet. Good for cool days but when I heat up I just tie it around my waist. The waist strapped water bottles etc bounce and really get to me not sure why! I used a backpack at first when I needed to bring ALL my meds on the run (injectable steroids etc), but yeesh was that uncomfortable. I miss running with less, but really I always struggled with where to keep my phone and keys. Sometimes I hold my phone if it's my music and I want to keep adjusting it. I tried arm bands but they rub and itch and my skin is so much more high maintenance than it was. The visibility you mention is a good idea.

I found my old workout clothes really retained detergents more than other old clothes and I was reacting on my workouts. I had to part with them all after 30 detox attempts and it's gone way better unscenting the new ones yahoo. I still have to hold my breath when I run past other people to avoid inhaling their fabric softener etc and triggering :S

Well I'm off on a tangent! So glad you're finding something that works for you and that you're able to exercise. It is the biggest stress reducer for me and gosh there's a lot of anxiety to be reduced with these mast cells! It does flare up my skin during and I need to stay SUPER COOl, but I find overall it seems to make me less reactive.

Oh my gosh Lynda you are creative! Sounds like lulu pants...not sure if you have those in the US. I really want to learn how to sew.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #3 - 03/11/13 at 10:39:31

lu lu pants?????  I wonder if I can Google that! Grin

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 03/11/13 at 11:06:26

About the tangent....

Cold water removes detergent residues much better than hot.  Using vinegar as a "fabric softener" not only softens the fabric but helps to remove the detergent.

The bad news is that the scents used in detergents and fabric softeners are designed to stick to fabrics and are difficult if not impossible to remove.  They also stick in the nose!  Have you ever accidentally walked too close to a cosmetics store and still have the scent in your nose for a while after you go by?

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 03/11/13 at 11:16:10

Anaphylaxing wrote on 03/11/13 at 01:59:05:
I tried arm bands but they rub and itch and my skin is so much more high maintenance than it was.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I've seen people with those, but I was worried about having something tight on my skin (I chafe very easily)... also the neoprene Lips Sealed

I don't really need to use my phone while I'm working out.  Maybe I can hook that to my belt too, lol.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #6 - 03/11/13 at 16:59:45

Yes I read the same Joan

I did 30 loads total---15 with vinegar, 5 with baking soda, 5 with unscented detergent, 5 with plain water....after months of airing out and still those clothes retain their odours. I ended up trying both hot and cold out of desperation.

That same approach usually takes ~5 washes for me to get the smell out of new clothes, but it didn't work for my old ones, so had to say good-bye Smiley

I got tips online from reading how they wash baby's cloth diapers of all things!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print