Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gastrocrom maximum benefit - when? (Read 1946 times)
PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Gastrocrom maximum benefit - when?
03/13/13 at 12:58:55

I've received conflicting information on when one should see the maximum benefit when taking 800mg/day Gastrocrom.

My local doc initially told me that I'd need to be on 800mg/day for 120 days before I'd know the max benefit. At my appt last week, he said I should already have the max benefit - I've been at 800mg for about 3 months now. ???

A few minutes ago, someone told me that it is well known within the MC community that it takes six months at 800mg/day to see the max benefit.

Who is right and where is the data to back up the numbers? Smiley

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Gastrocrom maximum benefit - when?
Reply #1 - 03/13/13 at 16:59:30

I don't know the scientific answer, but I'll bet it's like everything else---different for each person.  I increased slowly up to 8 vials, then cut back slowly to 4/day as I got better.  In my case, it took about 6 months to see the maximum benefits.  Also, I started out taking it after eating something because I was having side effects on an empty stomach.  Now I can take it before a meal, most of the time without effects.  It also seemed better at first to take it with extra water.

Hope it helps.

Joan

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Re: Gastrocrom maximum benefit - when?
Reply #2 - 03/14/13 at 04:14:24

Joan, thank you so much for your response. I'm trying to be as scientific as possible while trying MC meds so that I'll have a better idea of what is helping and what isn't. The plan was for me to try one drug at a time, see what it will do and keep it if it helps, then add another drug to see what it will do. I guess I'll have to relax about trying to follow a plan, since there's no way to know when I'll see the max benefit of Gastrocrom - and I've already started doxepin. Hmmmmm...

It sounds reasonable to stay at the max dose for six months and then make a decision as best I can about it then.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print