Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Veterans Please Help us Neophytes (Read 5221 times)
NJDad75
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Veterans Please Help us Neophytes
03/06/13 at 10:01:32

Being new to this disorder raises so many questions and I am hoping some Veterans out there can shed some light on these and other issues to get us up to speed quickly. I have jotted down some questions that I have - anyone else please feel free to ask others as well.

1. Children's Benadryl is often discussed as a quick fix if you feel an attack coming on. But I have have read that additives such as Red No. X can trigger us. Benadryl has this additive. What gives? Is there a clear form and where can we order this from?

2. What about toothpaste such as Crest? This probably has all kinds of things in it that sets us off. I understand that we don't swallow it, but I am sure some eventually does get into out digestive system. Any thoughts?

3. Does organic milk and meats really make that big a difference? Man, they are twice the cost!

4. I read that broth can't sit in the frig or it builds histamine. What if the broth doesn't have any meat?

5. Does anyone have a trick or two that allows them to identify a trigger within the first bite or two? I often eat foods that I think are safe only to find out an hour later they aren't (after I ate the whole thing). For example, apples should be safe, but for me they send me running for a bathroom.

6. I have seen posts referring to the 'seven safe foods'. Can anyone elaborate? I think I have identified two of them - butter and white rice.

7. What are the safest two fruits?

8. What are the safest two veggies?

9. What are the safest two carbs (i.e.: breads, rice, etc)?

10. The most important at least for me - I am a snacker and love just grabbing a bag of chips or pretzels to sit in front of the TV. I can't do this anymore. Has anyone found any replacements? Pita chips? Rice chips? Other? Brand names please if you could so we can order them.

11. Ice cream. For those that can tolerate ice cream - what brands have you found that you are able to tolerate?

12. Is pasta out since it has gluten or should I just avoid yest products? Pasta doesn't have yeast, right? (please forgive, I used to not have to worry about this sort of thing).

13. Doxepin - is it a mast cell stabilizer or just and antihistamine plus antidep?

14. I miss cheese. Are there any substitutions?

15. What can I use as a substitute for ketchup?

16. Has anyone found a good salad dressing that doesn't trigger reactions? Does anyone have a recipe if not?

This is it for now. Any other insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!!!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Veterans Please Help us Neophytes
Reply #1 - 03/08/13 at 00:19:42

Hi NJdad,

Some replies to your questions Cool

Quote:
1. Children's Benadryl is often discussed as a quick fix if you feel an attack coming on. But I have have read that additives such as Red No. X can trigger us. Benadryl has this additive. What gives? Is there a clear form and where can we order this from?

There is a clear version (which you can usually find next to the red stuff), but not all mast cell patients are allergic to dyes.  I'm not.

Quote:
2. What about toothpaste such as Crest? This probably has all kinds of things in it that sets us off. I understand that we don't swallow it, but I am sure some eventually does get into out digestive system. Any thoughts?

Some people are sensitive to sodium lauryl sulfate... or to the mint flavoring (salicylates).  Personally, it doesn't bother me at all.  In fact, I'm using it right now... the bubble/mint flavor preferred by my kids.

Quote:
3. Does organic milk and meats really make that big a difference? Man, they are twice the cost!

If you're sensitive to artificial hormones, organic products can make a big difference.  I also buy organic for political reasons... but I'm lucky that I can afford it.

Quote:
4. I read that broth can't sit in the frig or it builds histamine. What if the broth doesn't have any meat?

Meat broth does have tiny particles of meat.  Not all masto people are sensitive to histamine in food, but I am.  Truly vegetarian broth is safe to leave in the fridge.

Quote:
5. Does anyone have a trick or two that allows them to identify a trigger within the first bite or two? I often eat foods that I think are safe only to find out an hour later they aren't (after I ate the whole thing). For example, apples should be safe, but for me they send me running for a bathroom.

If you're truly allergic, you might get a tingling sensation in your mouth.  Otherwise... there's no good way to tell in advance.  Sorry.

Quote:
6. I have seen posts referring to the 'seven safe foods'. Can anyone elaborate? I think I have identified two of them - butter and white rice.

These are individual lists.  There are no foods that are universally "safe" for everyone at all times.  Personally, I've done an elimination diet with a very limited number of foods (rice, fresh meat... no fish... blueberries, sweet potatoes, dates, and clarified butter), but after four weeks... as per my doctor's orders... I started adding other relatively safe foods back in.  I would be very, very cautious about restricting your diet too much.  It makes you tired, cranky, and, doesn't give your body a very wide variety of nutrients.  It also tends to create more triggers.  

Quote:
7. What are the safest two fruits?

Blueberries... they actually have some mast cell stabilizing properties.  Pears and peaches are also pretty safe if you're OK with salicylates.

Quote:
8. What are the safest two veggies?

Veggies in general are pretty safe.  There aren't any I avoid.

Quote:
9. What are the safest two carbs (i.e.: breads, rice, etc)?

Rice is a staple for a lot of masto people.  Gluten is a trigger for me, but I can eat quinoa, millet, etc...

Quote:
10. The most important at least for me - I am a snacker and love just grabbing a bag of chips or pretzels to sit in front of the TV. I can't do this anymore. Has anyone found any replacements? Pita chips? Rice chips? Other? Brand names please if you could so we can order them.

If gluten is the problem, Snyder's and Glutino make some very good gluten-free pretzels.  What about popcorn as a snack?  If you make it yourself you can control the ingredients.

Quote:
11. Ice cream. For those that can tolerate ice cream - what brands have you found that you are able to tolerate?

I'm a fan of the Haagen Dasz "Five" line since all the ice creams just have five (natural) ingredients.  The biggest problem for me with ice cream is the cold... on a bad day it can lead to stomach cramps.

Quote:
12. Is pasta out since it has gluten or should I just avoid yest products? Pasta doesn't have yeast, right? (please forgive, I used to not have to worry about this sort of thing).

Is gluten a trigger for you personally?  If so, there are some good GF brands (Tinkyada, Schar).  If not, don't worry about it!  A more important question... are you adding tomato sauce?  That's a far bigger threat than the pasta.

Quote:
13. Doxepin - is it a mast cell stabilizer or just and antihistamine plus antidep?

It's an H1 plus an antidepressant... plus a sleep aid, since it's a first-generation H1.

Quote:
14. I miss cheese. Are there any substitutions?

Now that I'm more stable I can eat some mild cheeses... mozzarella, mild cheddar, monterey jack, cottage cheese, etc...  Avoid the ones that are aged, like parmesan, swiss, and sharp cheddar.

Quote:
15. What can I use as a substitute for ketchup?

Do you know for certain that tomatoes are a problem for you?  They might not be.  Otherwise... in France people eat mayonnaise on fries Wink Aioli (basically herbed mayonnaise) is delicious on a lot of things.

Quote:
16. Has anyone found a good salad dressing that doesn't trigger reactions? Does anyone have a recipe if not?

What kind(s) do you like?

This is it for now. Any other insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!!! [/quote]

I know there's a lot to figure out!  Unfortunately, there's no short-cut to figuring out your own personal triggers.  There's a lot of trial-and-error involved.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Veterans Please Help us Neophytes
Reply #2 - 03/08/13 at 18:46:42

Great replies, Heather, and good questions, NJ.

Just a few things to add....

Non-organic animal products can also contain pesticide and antibiotic residues.  If someone triggers from Cipro, and there's cipro residue in meat, a reaction can happen.  Also, aged meats, organic or not, can cause symptoms due to high histamine.

When testing foods to see if they're triggers, try eating a small amount first.  If you're okay through the next 12-24 hours, the food is probably fine.  Never try more than one new food every couple of days.

I'd say yellow vegetables (winter squash, carrots, sweet potatoes) might be the safest. Zucchini isn't very reactive either.   Eggplant might be the worst because it can be very high in histamine.  Some people have more trouble with cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, etc.) until they're more stable.

Regarding snacks, read labels carefully!  There are rice cakes and rice crackers that might be safer, as long as they don't contain bad things like soy sauce, chemicals, etc.  I can eat potatoes, so do eat potato chips and sweet potato chips (only containing potatoes, oil, and salt).  If the commercial ones are a problem, they can be made at home.

Rice pasta and other gluten-free pastas have improved a lot in the last few years.  Health food stores carry a variety.

Doxepin is also an H2 antihistamine.  Best to try it on a day when you have little planned, because it can be sedating.

I make a "ranch" dressing using light mayo, light sour cream (both without artificial ingredients), thyme, parsley, garlic, s & p., and thin it with milk if needed.  Good as a salad dressing or a dip, if you can tolerate milk products.  If not, there are some vegan mayos and sour "creams" that might be good substitutes.  

Some salsas contain tomatillos (unrelated to tomatoes) and peppers.  If there aren't any where you shop, you can buy tomatillos, cook them with red and green peppers, onion, garlic, if you can tolerate those, s & p, and then blend it in a blender.  I make that salsa and mix it with a little sour cream for a chip dip.  

I don't have problems with mustard, so also make honey mustard salad dressing and use it as a dip.

If lemons or oranges don't bother you, freshly squeezed citrus juice and olive oil with any flavorings you can tolerate is a good dressing.  I can eat balsamic vinegar, but some others can't.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print