Send Topic Print
Medical IDs (Read 1130 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Medical IDs
02/20/13 at 01:26:38

I'm getting a new medical ID.  I made a New Years Resolution to start a regular exercise program, and by golly... I've stuck with it Smiley  I like my other ID bracelet, but it's more like jewelry.  Not so great when I'm sweaty.

Here's the place I'm getting a new ID from:

http://www.survivalstraps.com/custom-dog-tag-straps.html

I decided to change the text a bit too.  Here's what I'm getting:

MY NAME
LATEX ALLERGY
MASTOCYTOSIS
EPIPENS AND MORE
INFO IN BAG

My old ID says "anaphylaxis" instead of "masto," but here's my thinking... most doctors now have smart phones.  When you google "mastocytosis" you easily get a bunch of links about symptoms and treatments.  With MCAD... not so much.  I know it's now recognized by the WHO, but when I tell most people that I have a "mast cell disorder" they look at me like  Huh Shocked Undecided (OMG... do I remember what a mast cell is??  My last immunology class was a long time ago!).  In an emergency situation, there is no significant difference between someone with MCAD and someone with SM.  Also... I worry that by having "anaphylaxis" under "latex allergy" it looks like my only problem is a severe latex allergy.

What do you think?

I'm not too worried about ending up in the ER these days, but you never know.  I keep two pages of notes (current medications, triggers and what they do to me, insurance info, phone numbers, etc...) in my little bag of medical goodies... which I carry with me at all times.  I'm just thinking ahead to that worst case "oh s#%&!!" scenario where someone might not have enough time to dig through my belongings.

Heather
« Last Edit: 02/20/13 at 05:37:21 by Starflower »  

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Medical IDs