Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Awsome 3 D of a Mast Cell Degranulating! (Read 9680 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Awsome 3 D of a Mast Cell Degranulating!
02/15/13 at 06:26:42

Pam

IP Logged

BlueSkies
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Awsome 3 D of a Mast Cell Degranulating!
Reply #1 - 02/15/13 at 14:09:29

Thanks, Pam!

So - does degranulating kill the mast cell?

And, if it does, why do I still have too many mast cells?!  

Thanks!
BlueSkies

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 02/15/13 at 16:56:03

Cool!

Here's a time lapse video of MC degranulation, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT7knZ6_8rk

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/16/13 at 04:56:45

Holy cow, Pepper, that is so cool!!!  Actual mast cells going "Plooey!"  This is a great video to show friends and relatives just what freaky stuff is going on in our bodies!  Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 02/16/13 at 06:31:54

First of all,this was likely a HEALTHY, normal MC they are depicting. Plus it's an IgE mediated reaction, which being IgE mediated, means the entire MC is going to degranulate.   When you are talking about masto, you have the membrane of the MC which is defective and unstable and the mediators are released piecemeal and selectively, so the MC doesn't die off and regranulates.   Plus, I'm not so sure this is a correct situation for it's possible to see MCs which are highly degranulated in pathological studies and reports on masto patients.  So, although they may go and show it blowing up like this, it may not be fully true for at the TMS conference in 2011 they had a slide show showing the MCs partically degranulated and although it looks like holes, you have to realize that there is intercellular membrane which helps to hold everything together, it's not like a plastic baggie holding a bunch of marbles which when it breaks everything goes out, it's more like a bag full of jello with marbles inside of it and although the outter membrane may come apart and some of the marbles come out, you still have the jello to contend with - at least this is what I've been able to understand about it.    Cells aren't hollow, they have interior substances and MCs have that interior substance as well as the granules inside and a nucleus too.   I wonder what the nucleus has in it?!  

Jilly Bean is the best person to explain this for us - our resident immunologist!!!  Smiley

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 02/16/13 at 14:11:18

You're right, Lisa. It probably was a normal MC. I'm not sure whether this would be considered an IgE mediated reaction, as the video maker states that the degranulation was induced by calcium ionophore. Wikipedia says calcium ionophore is a "mobile ion carrier" that has antibiotic properties. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A23187  ???

Anyhow, thanks for adding additional info about MC degranulation. I hope that Jilly Bean chimes in with more, too. Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #6 - 02/17/13 at 03:03:18

Ah, that clarifies things Pepper!!!   It means that it was a direct degranulation much like what contrast does and morphine and opiates and other things that directly degranulate the mast cell.  But the thing still is that it's showing a receptor activation, this still makes me wonder.....!   Oh so very much to learn!   Undecided

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 02/17/13 at 03:48:53

I think the two links depict different scenarios leading to degranulation, the first one posted by Pam is IgE mediated, the second one posted by pepperpots is induced by calcium ionophore. The other difference is that the first is a computer generated depiction, the second is an actual time lapse video.

Just to clarify about mast cells degranulating, my understanding is that the release of mediators does not destroy the mast cells, whether the reaction is an acute full release of mediators as in anaphylaxis, or the partial degranulation or 'leaking'. As with all the cells in the body they do die off and are replaced by new ones, and one theory explaining too many mast cells is that in some people  they aren't dying off when they should, but new ones are still being produced, so there are too many in the body.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #8 - 02/17/13 at 14:40:49

Gee, there's a 2nd one?   haha!!  I saw only the first and that's why I said it seemed like an IgE mediated reaction cause it shows a receptor being triggered!!!!!    My blonde!!!! haha!! Grin

I'll have to take a look again!  Perhaps tomorrow!

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 02/17/13 at 19:54:12

No problem Lisa, you were both right! Just thought it was worth clearing up the confusion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print