Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice needed! (Read 4007 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Advice needed!
02/13/13 at 04:17:41

For several months I have been waking earlying in the morning between 3-4 with an extremely high heart rate and swelling.  It is as if I am having a reaction to something but I have been alseep.  Usually my heart rate is so fast that I am unable to go back to sleep.  At first I thought I was getting overheated with too many blankets.  So I have been sleeping with fewer blankets and still having this issue.  At this point I am assuming that I am having a rush of histamines.  I don't think this is hormonal because I am not sweaty or having any kind of hot flash.  I take a prescription antihistamine before bed to help but it doesn't seem like anything is helping.  When I woke up this morning, my husband asked how I slept and I turned around and he saw my swollen face and said Ooh...that answered his question.  Undecided
I took a Benadryl this morning and it didn't change any thing. It was like throwing a water balloon at a forest fire.  I know nothing about masto and heart rates.  I did call the doctors office, but no return call yet...thought I would ask you guys the experts...

This is what I take:

Cromolyn 4 times a day
Allegra in am
Pepsid ac in am and Pm
Clarinex in Pm
Benedryl when needed
I was started out on Atrax but cant take it any longer because of a reaction.

Does anyone have any advice?

Pam

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Advice needed!
Reply #1 - 02/13/13 at 05:41:20

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Clarinex that Pam takes in the evening? I am not familiar with that; if it is like Claritin, typically Claritin doesn't work as well as Allegra or Zyrtec (from what I have heard reported on this forum). Have you tried taking one of those at night instead?

I figured out for myself that the furnace in the winter is a trigger for me. I do much better in other seasons when I don't need to turn on the furnace or I can have the air conditioning on. I trigger from heat, and yet am always cold in the winter. So, I noticed that when I cranked the heat, I triggered more. Now, I keep it a bit colder in the house during the winter and I have far fewer symptoms (I just dress warm!).

Also, do you eat in the evening? I noticed that if I don't eat anything after 6:00, I feel well all night and in the morning.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

angelloz
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/13/13 at 06:10:29

Good tips Deborah,

I am going to try not eating so late. I also think the furnace is an issue for me.
Angelloz

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #3 - 02/13/13 at 08:09:24

I'm not sure what Clarinex is, I assume it is a large dose of claritin, which I agree claritin doesn't do much for me.  To answer your question I have tried allegra at night.  I continue to have this happen, regardless of the combination. I'm thinking that the doctor needs to change it again.  He put me on Clarinex when I couldn't take the Atarax any longer.
When we found mold in our duct work we closed off all duct work in our bedroom, just to be safe.  We have an electric fireplace we use only when we are awake.  So I don't think the heat is an issue, I see how that could affect people!  I was thinking for awhile that I was getting too hot because of the bedspread, so I started removing that.  Maybe I should test this theory again.  Funny thing is I never sweat!  

I did eat dinner kind of late last night, so I will watch that!

Thanks!

Pam

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 02/13/13 at 15:13:04

It's the snacking after dinner that is such temptation, don't you think? Stay strong, though, and try not to eat after 6:00 and see how you do! Then let us know so that it this works for you, maybe it will work for others as well. Smiley

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 02/14/13 at 12:45:54

Clarinex is a third-generation antihistamine.  Basically, Claritin has two mirror-image molecules... unfortunately, only one of them is effective as an antihistamine.  Clarinex is the exact same drug as Claritin, but they remove the ineffective half, which is why you only need 5mg instead of 10mg.  Zyrtec and Xyzal are like that too.  Personally... I don't see any good reason to take them (unless you're freakishly sensitive to a lot of drugs and the other H1s don't work for you)... you're just padding the wallets of the pharmaceutical executives.

2-4am is when your body's natural level of histamine is the highest.  For a few weeks I've been wearing a pedometer (a "fitbit") that also tracks my sleep.  Although I wouldn't have noticed it on my own, I'm not sleeping very deeply during that peak... I move around a lot!

My favorite H1s are Zyrtec and Benadryl.  I might just be weird, but Claritin works better for me than Allegra (it gives me a headache).

Regardless of what I'm wearing or sleeping under (a nice warm down comforter keeps my joints and muscles from aching), I agree about needing cool air to breathe!  I turn the thermostat down as low as my husband will tolerate Grin

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 02/14/13 at 15:18:07

Wow, this is an extremely interesting discussion. I have been waking up every night between 1-3AM for over a decade and thinking I just had a bad habit (I eat when I wake up).  Now I am wondering if this is a just a histamine release and I am making it worse by eating. I was diagnosed with periodic limb movement disorder as well (a sleep disorder). Does anyone else have this?  Could that be related to histamine?  When I take Atarax for an attack I sleep like a baby all night long. Maybe I should take Atarax every night?

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 02/14/13 at 21:53:36

I also frequently wake up at night.  It usually happens around 4 am.  I think it happens more when I have too much of a trigger the day before.   My heart and sometimes head are racing and I do get palpitations, too.  

I have found that one of two things will help, depending on how much I am reacting:  I either get up and walk around a bit and then I feel better and can fall back asleep, or I leave my morning dose of cromloyn next to my bed and take it if I wake up early.  That helps me fall back asleep within 20 - 30 minutes if I can't otherwise.  

Other than that, I am not sure what will help and look forward to hearing others' thoughts.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #8 - 02/15/13 at 00:28:03

vicmjones wrote on 02/14/13 at 15:18:07:
Maybe I should take Atarax every night?

If Atarax (hydroxyzine) works for you, there's no harm in taking it every night.  It's very important to get enough sleep!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

BlueSkies
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 02/15/13 at 14:17:15

Well, here's my 2 bits...

A very small dose of zantac seems to be helping me sleep better through the night.  (slightly less than 1/2 of a 75mg. pill.   I seem to be very sensitive to meds!)

The other thing for me is...   I have to eat some protein shortly before bed, or I will wake up with very low blood sugar, and not be able to go back to sleep for 2 hours unless I eat something.  

Of course, I realize for some it's important not to eat before bed!   We're all so different.

BlueSkies

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 02/17/13 at 14:42:48

A lot of masto people secrete more histamine at night, as that is the high point of the circadian cycle for this neurotransmitter.  When histamine goes up, you wake up.  So... we may not get our REM sleep as well (deepest sleep) which might contribute to overall daytime sleepiness! ( I used to work with sleep researchers).

Heather is right on about the Clarinex (son of Claritin).  I quit using it because I had a weird little sleep apnea side effect from it, as I am a lightweight.  I can't tolerate the other anthistamines very well, so proceeded to try various brands of generic Claritin (Loratadine).  My hands down winner was Sam's Club Loratidine.  For some reason, felt the best on that one.  Good news is that it is cheap too!  I take it about 7 pm and it doesn't rev me up too much by the time Igo to sleep around 10 pm.  

Another thing I started to do was take a little bit of cherry juice.  Now this would depend HIGHLY on whether it bothered you or not, so be very cautious about it if juice or fruit sets you off, and ask your doc before you would try it.  Cherries have a little bit of melatonin in them, and I seem to sleep better if I have a little bit before bedtime.  There is only limited studies on it, but it was somewhat helpful in relieving arthritis symptoms for some people and was somewhat anti-inflammatory too.  I use the organic kind though, don't want any extra pesticides coming in the mix..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print