Send Topic Print
The life we're given (Read 3621 times)
NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

The life we're given
02/11/13 at 23:53:34

Hello,

My name is Nick and I have come to this forum primarily to learn about new ways to reduce my symptoms. My mast-cell problems have dramatically changed my life - in some ways good, but mainly quite bad.

It started about 7 years ago when I started getting headaches, feel tired, and feeling irritable all the time. It took me a long time to trace it back to the food I was eating.

Little help came from the doctors, and even less from my family. The entire world told me I was making it up. I tried to self-help using online protocols for parasites and candida which did help a little. But as soon as I tell people this I'm even more "weird" and in need of mental treatment.

I cut ties with my family and dedicated my life to improving as much as possible - even though every second of every day was a struggle to cope with my symptoms.

Incredibly, this health-crisis motivated the hell out of me to achieve things. I'm now a computer-programmer, on triple the wages I was before, and I'm in year 5 of a 6 year part-time degree.

Health issues are still a massive problem, although they have dramatically decreased. Last year one doctor said he thought I needed mental help but begrudgingly sent me to an immunologist, who diagnosed me within 10 minutes as having mast-cell issues.

She gave me a diet to work from, which has changed my life, but every time I get close to feeling good and start adding food back something messes me up - hand cleaning products, a new mattress, or just falling to temptation for a meal out with friends.

Where to turn I'm not sure. Hope you can help me. Smiley

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: The life we're given
Reply #1 - 02/12/13 at 03:58:42

Welcome Nick! So glad that you found us! There are some helpful posts on the basics of how to help yourself by identifying triggers, etc in this forum under the category, "Start here". Take a look there for some good tips.

You have a wonderful attitude about your medical condition, and I love that these good things came as a result of your getting sick! I was like that. I now have my own business, and I never would have if I hadn't gotten ill and realized I couldn't hold a traditional job. So, congrats on your progamming job and your degree! That is definitely impressive!

Are you taking any daily preventative antihistamines? If you aren't I can tell you that they work tremendously in preventing symptoms and allowing us to feel good. Feel free to share what ones you do take, and we can give you some pointers on what seems to work best for most people.

Once again, welcome!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/12/13 at 04:13:20

Thanks for the reply and well done with your business.

You reminded me of how I used to struggle through days at work barely able to keep my eyes open, and how I somehow kept a normal job.

I'll look at your suggestions now. Last time I went to a doctor I got the anti-histamine, no NSAIDS diet which has made a big change although still leaves me feeling quite bad.

Since reading this forum I booked an appointment with the doctor for tomorrow and I'm going to ask for more tests and treatment (in a nice way).

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 02/12/13 at 10:57:29

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum!

I'm so glad you've been able to get diagnosed and some treatment that helps you.  No treatment is perfect, and I don't know anyone who hasn't cheated and paid for it!  Many of us have have been told our problems were a mental health issue, nothing really wrong with us, or mis-diagnosed before we found out what was really happening.  That's hard to go through, but when it happened to me, I decided that the doctor was wrong and that I'd never stay with one who didn't believe me.

The key to feeling well is to do everything at once, that is, avoid triggers (dietary and environmental), keep stress level as low as you can, and have a medication strategy in place.  Meds are the basis of treatment.  Once you find your baseline doses, you'll learn how to treat breakthrough symptoms when they happen.

You already know some of your food and environmental triggers, but it never hurts to keep testing things to see if eliminating something will help you feel better.  Some things, like pollens or artificial scents can cause symptoms, but they aren't allergens, they're triggers.  Keeping an exposure and symptom diary might help.  If you have increased symptoms, think about where you were, was anyone wearing perfume, could there have been hidden ingredients in something you ate.

You've probably read what we talk about as a trigger bucket.  Sometimes it won't be one big exposure or food that causes problems, but many little things, and then one more trigger will cause the bucket to "overflow" and you'll have symptoms.  So when deciding to try a forbidden food or go someplace where there might be triggers, you have to consider whether you've had exposure to a lot of other triggers.

In general, if you know something triggers you, avoid it.  With foods, most of the time there can be substitutions, even in restaurants.

Good luck with the doctor.  I hope you can get to your best health soon.

Joan

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 02/18/13 at 16:56:11

Hi Nick,
I want to welcome you and then I wanted to rant and rave about salicylates!  Grin  I do that with new people, because it took me a year to figure out that I was salicylate sensitve.  I don't want anyone to go through what I went through.  So If you have a few min. you might look them up! They are in many foods and a ton of products we use on a daily basis!
They can affect your mast cells.  Salicylate issues are rare, but so are mast cell issues!!  
Here is a link:
http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/
You can look under the food guide and under the product guide- good luck!

Pam

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/18/13 at 19:20:01

Thanks Pam. I'll have a look now, and hold back on eating breakfast first just in case it contains any.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 02/19/13 at 01:17:24

Nick,

I wouldn't say that you should avoid your typical breakfast if it works for you. Don't forget, Pam is just giving you a suggestion of something to watch for. She is sensitive to salicylates. However, for every person sensitive to that, there will be a person who isn't. As far as I know, I am not sensitive to salicylates, and yet I have complete anaphylaxis (the whole passing out and almost dying thing) from my mast cell disease. Yet, I have few symptoms any more because I know what will trigger me and I do my best to avoid it.

So, what Pam is saying is to consider salicylates. She is not saying that it is a rule with mast cell disease. It is just something that bothers her and she is offering you her experience in the event that you might be sensitive to it as well. No need to assume that you will be, though....just stay aware.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #7 - 02/20/13 at 05:19:14

Thanks Deborah,
Sometimes I'm not clear!!  Thats what I meant by it is rare, only a small percentage of people with mast cell issues have a salicylate issue!
It is just something to consider while figureing things out!

Pam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print